Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Do you allow those imploding plastic "bottled water"-bottles to annoy you?

Do you allow those imploding plastic "bottled water"-bottles to annoy you?

I've noticed they tend to be the cheaper plastic-bottled waters.
I take a drink and the bottle cracks loudly on every drink and the plastic bottle implodes and I'm all wet on my front sometimes from the water falling out before it gets to my mouth because the water in the bottle, to begin with, is often way too full to the top of the bottle.

So much for taking quiet, unassuming sips at work, I guess.
:)

uh -- as I prepare to post this question, I'm thinking I might have more challenges with basic life than I was aware
;)

Posted - November 14, 2019

Responses

• "I'm thinking I might have more challenges with basic life than I was aware."

Dude, I burst out laughing.  Yes, I hate those flimsy cheap-azz bottles too.

UGH.  The noise.

When you mentioned "imploding plastic" it made me think of the album "Exploding Plastic Pleasure" by Blow Up.  This is a song they did with Debbie Harry of Blondie.  "Uncontrollable Love"

I'm posting it because HEY, that's what we do.  We post music even if it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.  LOL!

November 14, 2019 8:37 AM MST

I liked the song immediately at the beginning!! Debbie Harry just "Ah-ing" at the beginning is great to me!

Yup, some of us know that music is everywhere - - it's just certain people like us who immediately think of a song for every single event of every single day of our lives and every discussion and syllable uttered from sun up to sun down is related to some song we know. And, for people like us, all of this applies to movies, too. And books and short stories and . . . and we must post them when they hit us! Yes!

I listened to the whole song while I was typing. I like it! Hadn't heard of it before now!
    ;)

I am glad to know I am not alone about the noise with those bottles. Crazy as it sounds, I find that comforting to me, ha!

And I'm glad that I kept that part of my post that you quoted, ha!  :)
      November 14, 2019 9:08 AM MST

Why would you drink water out of that kind of bottle. It's chemicals are leached from the plastic into the water and you are drinking toxic waste.  Don't ever drink that swill.  Just because you don't see anything, doesn't mean it is not wreaking havoc.  I spend a few pennies more and buy alkaline water with a plastic bottle that is not made that way.  So it is a buck more.  SO WHAT. You know?  We need water more than anything else on the planet besides clean air, and I intend to keep my body chemical-free where my food and drink are concerned.  Don't use that plastic bottle.  Throw it away.  

Love Sharon the pain in the asssssssssssssss

The Primary Dangers of Plastic Bottled Water

Recent years have seen an increase in awareness regarding the negative impact plastic water bottles have on the environment. Unfortunately, while most people know that plastic water bottles are bad for the environment, this awareness has not resulted in a significant drop in the use of disposable water bottles. In fact, their use is still on the increase with Americans using an average of 50 billion plastic water bottles a year; and while recycling is more accessible than ever,  90% of plastic water bottles are not recycled after use, meaning that billions of plastic bottles are entering our landfills, and even our oceans, every year. In fact, so much plastic waste makes it into our oceans that it is estimated that over a million marine animals are killed by plastic waste each year, often due to accidental plastic ingestion.

However, while the environmental effects of disposable water bottles alone should be enough to make us consider purchasing a reusable water bottle and a home water filter, there are also other benefits to be gained by ditching plastic water bottles. While the environmental impact of plastic bottles gets most of the attention, there are also other reasons why you should consider switching to a reusable water bottle. Here is an overview of just a few of the other reasons to go reusable, including some lesser-known dangers of drinking bottled water.

Your Bottled Water Probably Doesn’t Come From Where You Think it Does

One of the primary reasons consumers continue to purchase bottled water regardless of the potential environmental impact is due to a perception that bottled water is higher quality, more pristine water; and there is a reason for this misconception. Most advertisements for bottled water depict a fresh stream or mountain spring in order to make it seem like their water is purer than tap water or other brands of bottled water. However, water that is bottled from special springs is rare, and the fact is that most bottled water comes from similar sources as your municipal water supply, meaning that there is likely nothing special about your bottled water other than its branding. In fact, Aquafina now states on its labels that its water comes from public sources. Additionally, as we will discuss below, in some cases your bottled water may be less pure than what comes out of your tap at home.

Learn about GoPure’s Water Purification Capabilities.

It May Not Even be Filtered

While bottled water is often depicted as being higher quality than tap water, the fact is that in many instances bottled water is glorified tap water. While some manufacturers put their water through additional filtering before bottling it, many do not and simply charge for the packaging. Thusly, even though it is likely the same water as what comes out of the tap at home, you may be paying thousands of times more for the same product when you buy bottled water. In fact, some studies have even suggested that bottled water is less safe than tap water in some places. This is due to the fact that the municipal water supply that comes to our homes is highly regulated. The EPA regulates public tap water supplies and sets legal limits for hundreds of contaminants that could show up in water, and they regularly test for these contaminants. Alternatively, bottled water undergoes very little regulation, and recent studies have found traces of phthalates, mold, microbes, arsenic, and thousands of other contaminants in bottled water. Considering bottled water may not be as pure, or as safe, as many people think, you would likely get the purest drinking water by filtering your tap water at home.

Bottled Water Often Contains Toxins From The Plastic

The primary risk associated with drinking bottled water is the fact that you can be exposed to harmful toxins from the plastic. Even though water is not acidic (unlike soda), whenever you drink out of a plastic bottle, you risk ingesting the chemicals used to make the bottles as these toxins can leach into the water over time. This is particularly common with older water bottles and/or those that have been exposed to heat. BPA and other plastic toxins can then make their way into your bloodstream, which can cause a host of problems including various cancers as well as liver and kidney damage. Unfortunately, at this time scientists do not fully understand all of the potential long-term effects of ingesting toxins through the consumption of bottled water; however, these toxins can accumulate in your system over the years leaving you prone to a variety of health problems.

Drinking Bottled Water Can Cause Development and Fertility Issues

While more manufacturers are choosing to sell BPA-free plastic water bottles, it is still a common component found in water bottles made from Type 7 plastic. One of the many problems with BPA is that it acts as a faux-estrogen, and when consumed in water through leaching plastic it can cause a variety of chromosomal abnormalities that have been tied to birth defects and developmental disabilities in children. Exposure to the estrogen in BPA can also cause decreased fertility in both men and women, and when children are exposed to BPA while in the womb this can lead to complications later in life such as hyperactivity disorders, early-onset puberty, and an increased risk for certain cancers. It is then often recommended that women do not drink bottled water (particularly water from Type 7 plastic bottles) when pregnant.

It Also Correlates to Higher Rates of Disease in Adults

Exposure to the toxins in plastic water bottles has also been linked to higher rates of disease as adults. It has been found that people who drink a lot of bottled water, and in particular those who had high concentrations of BPA in their urine, were three times more likely to suffer from cardiovascular disease, and were 2.4 times more likely to develop Type 2 diabetes than individuals with low concentrations of BPA in their bodies. Even BHPF, a compound which is now being used in many plastic bottles instead of BPA, has been found to have dangerous side-effects similar to that of BPA. Thusly, even as the plastic industry tries to innovate to make plastic bottles “safer”, it becomes more apparent that the safest thing to do is to avoid drinking bottled water whenever possible.

It Can Also Lead to Weight Gain

It is no secret that obesity in the United States has reached epidemic proportions. However, if you have been trying to lose weight and nothing seems to work, you may be surprised to learn that your bottled water consumption could be to blame. Both BPA and BHPF have been found to disrupt the hormones in our bodies. In particular, it is the effect both of these compounds have on the estrogen levels in both men and women that has been tied to weight management problems. Exposure to the compounds in plastic water bottles can ultimately influence the rate that fat is stored in your body and where fat is stored, which can cause weight gain and difficulty losing weight.

You May be Drinking Microplastics

Perhaps the most concerning thing about bottled water that has come to light in recent years is that drinking bottled water can put people at risk of consuming microplastics. Microplastics are small pieces of plastic– usually less than 5mm long– that can be found in a variety of products including, perhaps most controversially, a lot of cosmetic products where they are added to act as exfoliating scrubbers in hand cleaners and facial scrubs.

Not only does bottled water absorb some of the chemical compounds in the plastic bottle, but recent studies suggest that that plastic itself can be present in the water consumers drink. In fact, a World Health Organisation (WHO) study found that in 93% of popular bottled water brands tested the water contained plastic fibers (similar results were also found in a study conducted by Fredonia State University of New York). While studies on the prevalence of microplastics in bottled water, and the potential danger this presents, are still in the early stages, one can only imagine the potential long-term effects of consuming plastic, highlighting another reason to limit one’s use of bottled water.

Reusing Water Bottles Also Poses a Danger

In an effort to reduce their carbon footprint, some people have started reusing disposable plastic water bottles by refilling them multiple times. While this may seem like a good idea in concept, it can actually be dangerous to reuse a single-use water bottle. When you reuse these bottles you risk additional chemicals and microplastics from the bottle entering your drinking water. Additionally, the shape of these bottles makes it nearly impossible to clean them, and the soft plastic they are made out of creates a perfect breeding ground for bacteria, which can make it hazardous to your health to reuse these bottles.

Considering the risk that drinking bottled water can pose, you may want to consider investing in a high-quality metal reusable water bottle and a water filtration system for your home. This will help to ensure the health of you and your loved-ones while reducing your carbon footprint, which can help to preserve the environment for future generations. Learn more about the GoPure Pod Portable Water Filter and the steps you can take to reduce your plastic footprint.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 14, 2019 9:09 AM MST
      November 14, 2019 9:05 AM MST

I have actually thought about what you're mentioning and I thought, more than once, of asking you about it! I have to run off again but thanks for the info here!
    I read your answer completely up to where the article starts. and I read the highlighted points.

Thanks again :)
      November 14, 2019 9:11 AM MST

Your honesty tickles me.  
      November 14, 2019 7:39 PM MST

That's fun, ha!

Yeah, I read that comment I made and I wonder now why I went into such detail. I can be a strange one sometimes.
      November 14, 2019 8:04 PM MST

I don't drink bottled water.  I only use them as ice blocks for when the power goes out.
      November 14, 2019 9:08 AM MST

I rarely use bottled water.  I try to remember to take a reusable bottle with me when I go out in the car.  We have some of the best water in NYC, so there's no way I would be paying for water that I can get for free or adding to the plastics by buying bottled water.
      November 14, 2019 9:30 AM MST

I know. I've thought about what you mention, too, about the plastic. I do recycle the bottles. But. I know.

I'm just trying to increase by huge amounts my water intact.
      November 14, 2019 9:34 AM MST

I read an article recently that claims that water is better absorbed by the body when it's taken with food.  Drinking water just for the sake of consumption could mean that if you are urinating more often than every four hours and your urine is pale or colorless, that you are not absorbing the minerals your body needs.  I'm sure that next week, some dietician or nutritionist will dispute that.  
      November 14, 2019 10:08 AM MST

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised, too.
      November 14, 2019 10:20 AM MST

LOL!

Actually I don't let it get that far, but remove it from my mouth and allow air to enter it.

Besides, I very rarely buy bottled water, but certainly not because all that lot quoted by Very Strong Bully alarms me at all. Instead, it's normally a needless expense. If I need take drinking-water anywhere (generally, on a long walk or car journey), I use a proper polythene water-bottle filled directly from the tap.
      December 17, 2019 12:40 PM MST

Almost three years later, I finally see your answer. Sorry about that, Durdle.  :)

I admit I still drink from a plastic bottle, but then just keep refilling it from a drinking fountain (not a good idea based on the info Sharonna posted).  I need to use that metal water bottle I have. That will be my GetMyButtInGearResolutionofNovember.
      November 25, 2022 7:24 PM MST