Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Do the usual suspects on here believe President Trump is guilty until proven innocent?

Do the usual suspects on here believe President Trump is guilty until proven innocent?

Posted - November 15, 2019

Responses

I do.

I realise that the law works the other way in English speaking democracies - and I agree that it should.

However just because the law works that way, doesn't mean that I'm obliged to find everyone in the world innocent until proven guilty.
    If I did that, every con-man around would have reduced me to begging on the streets.

The problem is one has to use observation and experience to make guesses about people we don't know well.

For me, there was enough evidence long before Trump was elected to show that he was impetuous, unpredictable, narcissistic, a liar, practised the old sexual double standard and believed the means justified the end.
    Since then, I've come to see him in an even worse light: racist, lacking compassion for those who suffer misfortune, Machiavellian, poorly educated in most things except economics, and demanding absolute loyalty but giving none. None of these is a crime, of course. But these traits create the conditions for lack of respect for the responsibilities required of the POTUS. They are the characteristics of a person who would not hesitate to commit crimes if he thought they would help achieve his goals and that no one would find out. At times, he does things a president should not do as if he doesn't realise it, and probably he doesn't. But it is his job to know his job and to ask his advisors before acting. Instead, he lets them run around behind him doing their best to repair the damage. His own people are unanimous that the Whitehouse is in chaos. - Still not a crime.

But the evidence coming out now, in the lower house hearings, suggests that he bribed the Ukraine; privately through his personal lawyer he offered US funding for military aid in return for investigating the son of Joe Biden, his most serious rival among his political opposition. That would have to count as serious abuse of power, to use the tax-payers money to fund a personal vendetta.

I don't expect that the impeachment will work in the upper house because of the Republican majority there.
    And this makes me wonder why the Democrats bothered to bring it in the lower house. Perhaps they believe it will tarnish Trump enough to lose him the next election.
    Even so, I think the allegations are serious - and the evidence does need to be thoroughly examined, its truth proven.

If I'm wrong, I will not mind apologising to Trump's supporters.
    I think the truth is far more important than my personal preferences. This post was edited by inky at November 16, 2019 9:56 PM MST
      November 15, 2019 3:46 PM MST

Don't you mean the end justifies the means?
      November 16, 2019 9:58 PM MST

• I don’t care...I had the day off today so logged in a few times looked around and left. It was all Trump,  all day, meh. Good news is I didn’t waste a day online and my house is sooooo clean.  :) 
      November 15, 2019 3:53 PM MST

Trump is guilty because Trump is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt and you know it.  

In your guts you know he's nuts and if you don't you need a checkup yourself.
      November 15, 2019 4:06 PM MST

How open-minded of you. Nothing like dismissing out of hand anyone who might not agree with you.

Are you confident enough in his guilt to think evidence will come to light? If it doesn't, will you keep stomping your feet and throwing temper tantrums like a toddler, as you have for the last three years?
      November 15, 2019 5:34 PM MST

A friend of mine is apparently waiting to see evidence of Trump's guilt---and both the rest of his friends and I are hoping he will eventually come out of his medically induced coma.
      November 15, 2019 5:57 PM MST

I think in many ways, Trump has proven himself guilty. He certainly acts every bit like a guilty man. A petulant 74 yr old child with a Twitter obsession, caught redhanded; crying foul. 
    Why continuously impede the process if the actual truth will prove certain innocence? 

Of the current allegations in Congress, that conclusion remains to be seen. I’m an advocate of evidence; arguing the minutiae of the process does not defeat the evidence.
    What evidence is there for the defense? 

Guilty or not, in Trump I see a profoundly despicable human being. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at November 16, 2019 8:25 AM MST
      November 15, 2019 4:19 PM MST

Of course.  Some things never change. 

It is a waste of time and money. And if they send it to the Senate, it will waste a lot of the Dem Candidates for president's time as well. 
      November 15, 2019 4:25 PM MST

Do you never see the error in asserting generalizations about others?  This post was edited by Don Barzini at November 16, 2019 8:25 AM MST
      November 15, 2019 4:51 PM MST

Dems in Congress have made their decision quite clear. They have said if they do not impeach he will be reelected. 
    They have been hollering for impeachment since the election. Nothing has changed. 

I did not say every Dem. But there are Dems in Congress and media who have and we all know who they are.

Dems have introduced impeachment on 5 of the last 6 Rep Presidents. So as I said nothing changes.

This post was edited by my2cents at November 17, 2019 6:46 AM MST
      November 15, 2019 5:06 PM MST

They have said. THEY have been hollering. WE ALL know who THEY are.

Enough said. It is clear what has not changed. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at November 15, 2019 5:36 PM MST
      November 15, 2019 5:29 PM MST

Maxine Waters has been chanting impeach 45 for how long? 
    Talib right after she was elected: Impeach the M-Fer
    The whistleblower's attorney right after inauguration: the coup has begun ending in impeachment
    Rep Al Green: Impeach or he will win re-election.
    Media MSNBC and CNN lets not pretend that is not the case. 

And many more....
      November 15, 2019 6:20 PM MST

Look what it took to convince you to articulate your point effectively...

Of course, it goes without saying every single one of those claims by Dems was baseless, without any merit whatsoever. Right?

This post was edited by Don Barzini at November 16, 2019 8:28 AM MST
      November 15, 2019 6:33 PM MST

I figure most people on here are well versed in the political happenings regarding anything Trump. To name them all would take forever. 
      November 15, 2019 7:18 PM MST

Indeed it is fair to say many members on this site are well informed. And well spoken. 

It can’t have escaped even your notice that the majority of them do not share your view. 

November 15, 2019 9:58 PM MST

Liberals are abound here (there are more conservatives than yoi likely think...many just do not bother with the political). Not because of anyone's superior or lack of knowledge. But because of some of the content (political and otherwise) over the years has caused many conservatives to leave. 
      November 16, 2019 7:36 AM MST

Apparently not---
      November 15, 2019 5:44 PM MST

Introspection notwithstanding
      November 15, 2019 5:53 PM MST

Diving into that pool of introspection wouldn't even get my hair wet.
      November 15, 2019 5:58 PM MST

Wise man say: No water runneth in the dry river bed. 
      November 15, 2019 6:07 PM MST

Smart guy, that wise man.
      November 15, 2019 6:09 PM MST

You have given me a few good laughs today---Regards, dinner time.
      November 15, 2019 6:10 PM MST

I can’t shake a weakness for low hanging fruit. 

Enjoy your meal. 

November 15, 2019 6:38 PM MST

I believe the term tunnel vision is appropriate.
      November 16, 2019 8:25 AM MST