Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » How often do you weigh yourself? I used to weigh myself twice a day but my doctor told me I can only do it once a week now. He’s annoying.

How often do you weigh yourself? I used to weigh myself twice a day but my doctor told me I can only do it once a week now. He’s annoying.

He also told me I’m not allowed to go on Webmd anymore. he’s ruining my life.

Posted - November 15, 2019

Responses

At least twice a day. 
      November 15, 2019 4:31 PM MST

• I think that‘s the correct answer, but my doctor told me I should only weigh myself once a week. I told him I was concerned that my weight fluctuates through the day and that was his answer-_- just weigh self once a week. I hate him. 
      November 15, 2019 4:34 PM MST

Fluctuations within 24 hrs don't mean much. 
    They really only show how much we're eating and drinking, and pooing and peeing.
    A weekly comparison, done at the same time of day (like first thing before breakfast with no clothes on) gives a reliable guide.
      November 15, 2019 5:37 PM MST

When I visit the doctor. I don't care how much I weigh.
      November 15, 2019 4:32 PM MST

• Cos you’re a guy. 
      November 15, 2019 4:34 PM MST

When I go to the doctor. We do not own a scale. 

Everyone's weight does fluctuate slightly through the day from eating and using the restroom. 

The best time to weigh is in the morning before breakfast. 
      November 15, 2019 4:49 PM MST

• I weigh myself in the morning and sometime in the evening. I did have an eating disorder when I was younger and he thinks I’m regressing back to that. I am not though, I just like to keep track of things. 
      November 15, 2019 4:52 PM MST

It is a sign of an eating disorder. So I understand him worrying. 
    I worried about that with my daughter. Part of the reason for no scales was for to send a clear message to her as she grow up to instill a healthy body image. No scale and no diets. 
    We know what size we are our clothes tell us. We know if those clothes are getting tighter or not and healthy food choices are good but no diets.

I dealt with eating issues as well as a teen.

November 15, 2019 5:00 PM MST

• That’s fair, but I am an adult and I get sick of being treated like I am not or being punished for or treated differently for my mistakes in the past. I was Ill in that way for a long time in my twenties but I know I’m not anymore and it annoys me when he brings it up. 
      November 15, 2019 5:04 PM MST

I get that but it is his job to help you stay healthy. So he is looking out for you. And it is a warning sign. Just as a Doc will stay on a former smoker if they think they maybe signs they have been smoking. ie. Smelling it on them, smokers hack or seeing a pack in their purse. 

Just remember, he really is looking out for your health.

Glad you are in a better place since then. This post was edited by my2cents at November 15, 2019 5:24 PM MST
      November 15, 2019 5:20 PM MST

• Yes I know it’s his job to look out for me but he talks to me like I’m a child so I’m transferring to a woman doctor Cos I’m sick of him. 
      November 15, 2019 5:25 PM MST

If he is talking down to you, definately get someone else. 

Personally, I have always got better results out of a male Dr. and my husband from females.  We always felt the opposite sex seemed to listen more. And the same were like "suck it up, you are alright."
      November 15, 2019 5:32 PM MST

• I’ve never had a female doctor or felt the need to have one... but I think I would like to try now. 
      November 15, 2019 5:35 PM MST

Once a week for the last year, since I began the Mosley 5:2 Diet.
    Before that, maybe once a year, if that.

November 15, 2019 5:34 PM MST

• I guess once a week  is healthy amount, or so I’ve been lectured on. 
      November 15, 2019 5:36 PM MST

Why not look it up online? 
    check out the reasons why the experts give that advice
    it might soothe you a bit, make it easier
      November 15, 2019 5:39 PM MST

• he also told me I’m not to look up anything health related online :) 
      November 15, 2019 5:41 PM MST

I think it's perfectly reasonable to hate him. The weight thing I could handle, but no WebMD? WebMD is my primary care provider and I only go to my internist for a second opinion and/or a prescription. 
      November 15, 2019 6:34 PM MST

• Not often. It's something I've ever cared much about. I pretty much only note my weight at doctor's appointments. 
      November 15, 2019 6:49 PM MST