Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What’s your favey scandal?

What’s your favey scandal?

Posted - November 15, 2019

Responses

It's, at the least, a scandal to me - -

even though there is documented evidence (and the dam's owners were aware) that the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club's earthen dam (near and high in the hills above Johnstown, Pennsylvania) was declared unsafe, none of the club owners were ever brought forth in court after the dam failed and collapsed. The water from the dam collapsing wiped out small communities as the water roared down the mountain to Johnstown and became America's deadliest flood. The water took 45 minutes to reach Johnstown, annihilating everything in its path downhill. Over two thousand two hundred people perished.

Oh - - and steel tycoon industrialists from Pittsburgh, including Andrew Carnegie and Henry Clay Frick were the dam's owners. Hmm . . . wonder if that has something to do with why no one was ever prosecuted or even accused of anything. Money talks and, or, maybe in this case, stays silent.

Image result for johnstown flood 1889 Image result for johnstown flood 1889 This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 16, 2019 8:02 AM MST
      November 15, 2019 8:22 PM MST

• thank you for sharing that... I‘d not heard of it before... its def a scandal. 

November 15, 2019 8:29 PM MST

You're welcome. :)

For some reason, I've been pulled to this event from the first time I heard of it slightly as an eight-year old.
    As an adult, I've read many books and articles/etc about it. May 31, 1889.
    I've visited Johnstown and the surrounding areas more-than-several times. 
    It's all mind boggling to me. To travel the sites and take my time walking and imagining - -overwhelms me. And this area is GORGEOUS!! Breathtaking scenery. And every time I've been there the people are SO friendly.

I get irritated, too, when Carnegie is so admired for his donations of public libraries across the United States.
    Funny - - he didn't do that until after this flood (I think I'm correct on that; I might be wrong). And he donated a library to Johnstown itself. Guilty conscience in my opinion.

Forgive me, truly, for being so judgmental. But the horrors of what people would have gone through.
    I don't know - - I'll stop here.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 15, 2019 8:43 PM MST
      November 15, 2019 8:37 PM MST

Oh -- and your Scandal is much more enjoyable! I like that song :)
      November 15, 2019 8:30 PM MST

I like this one. Maybe not technically Scandal, but close enough. I like the one you posted, but can't stand that "Warrior" song. 
      November 15, 2019 9:11 PM MST

I love that “Warrior” song!

. . . Shooting at the walls of heartache bang, bang, I am the warrior
    Well, I am the warrior, and heart to heart you'll win
    If you survive, the warrior, the warrior, I am the warrior . . . 

~
      November 16, 2019 7:00 AM MST

It reminds me of detasseling corn, as it was very popular one of the summers that I did that for $ as a young teen. 

Have you ever heard of detasseling corn? It's absolutely brutal! Looking back, I should have made "Warrior" my personal theme song! 
      November 17, 2019 7:14 AM MST

• Love it 
      November 17, 2019 4:57 PM MST

This is about that whole Tilde Exchange Deal in ‘Frisco back in 2011, isn’t it?  I keep telling you the stuff was real!  I don’t push bad product, Lady!  Why won’t you believe me?  Grrrrrrr.

~
      November 16, 2019 7:03 AM MST

• You know how I can tell when you’re lying? When your lips are moving .... 
      November 17, 2019 4:58 PM MST

That was your first mistake. Don’t just watch the lips, watch the entire body. It’s speaking to you. 

~
      November 17, 2019 8:56 PM MST

Whichever one that gets His Royal Orangeness impeached. There are a few to choose from, "his name is Legion".
      November 16, 2019 8:01 AM MST

• meh 
      November 17, 2019 4:58 PM MST