Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Travel » Have you recently visited somewhere you had done so decades ago? Were you disappointed?

Have you recently visited somewhere you had done so decades ago? Were you disappointed?

While in the Navy in the late 80s, I regularly drove from the Naval base in North Chicago to Toledo and back. I used to be able to see the golden dome of Notre Dame University from the tollway. Also traffic was reasonable coming and going back. A few years ago my wife and I went to see her cousin near Waukegan, WI. The traffic was so bad around Chicago, it took over an hour to get around it. Also, the trees along the highway blocked the view of the dome. Disappointing.

Posted - November 17, 2019

Responses

Wow, the concept of trees now ruining the view of man-made objects seems a little weird to me. If it were the other way around, however . . .
    ~
      November 17, 2019 8:17 AM MST

Add a hint of sarcasm, steam for two hours.
      November 18, 2019 9:30 AM MST

NEWS FLASH!  The dome has been painted black by some radical students yelling "RUDY-RUDY-RUDY!"  The roads around Chicago have fallen into the lake after a huge Tsunami caused by Dave Mathews tour bus dropping crap,  and Wisconsin is no longer called 'The Dairy State', but now is 'The Ginsing State.'  (it leads the nation in ginsing production) 
      November 17, 2019 1:34 PM MST

Long ago, I learned a little something.

I learned that people, places, and things live much better in your memory than they age in real life.

With the exception of family and friends who still live in those places and I visit, I do not go back.  I like to remember how it was.  
    We are here for such a short time, why go somewhere you've already been?
      November 18, 2019 7:45 AM MST

My wife wanted to visit her cousin.
      November 18, 2019 9:31 AM MST

A few years ago I visited Halifax where I  lived for 10 years serving in the Canadian Navy. Used to be able to walk out onto the piers all the time but no more. All fenced off or walled unless one has business around there.
      November 18, 2019 8:55 AM MST