Active Now

my2cents
Spunky
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » How do you react to receiving compliments? Do you think the person giving it is insincere and wants something from you?

How do you react to receiving compliments? Do you think the person giving it is insincere and wants something from you?

An Answerbagger gal told me that years ago. She was always suspicious if someone gave her a compliment. Her first and only reaction was "what does he/she want from me"? I never forget it because it still bothers me that there are people like her who are so suspicious of others. So are you suspicious too?

Posted - November 18, 2019

Responses

Even if I feel that I don't deserve a compliment, I'll thank the person for the kind words. Do I think they are sincere? It depends on what the compliment is for. Also, I really don't worry about whether or not they want something from me because in my experiences if somebody want's something from me, they ask. Am I suspicious? In general no. In certain specific areas, yes I am. To put it simply, I am always aware of what's going on around me. :)
      November 18, 2019 5:57 AM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful answer ru. I always expect that people are telling me the truth because I tell the truth. I think you expect to get what you give. The only folks I am always suspicious of are those who are trying to sell me something. Otherwise until proven otherwise I expect that people are sincere honorable and honest. I'd rather be wrong and trust a liar than to distrust a truthteller. Happy Monday! :)
      November 18, 2019 6:24 AM MST

There may be background to why that person was suspicious of compliments.  Perhaps she had received many phoney compliments in her past form people who only wanted to exploit her.  

Because of past experiences, I too am suspicious of many compliments.  

November 18, 2019 11:43 AM MST