Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Holidays » Will you celebrate Thanksgiving out of respect for history or for your yearning to have a wonderful roast? Maybe your family insists?

Will you celebrate Thanksgiving out of respect for history or for your yearning to have a wonderful roast? Maybe your family insists?

Being open to any kind of answers, I am looking forward to yours. I never ate turkey before I came from Germany to the U.S in 1984. I grew to like it - just a little bit, but my hubby does not eat it. Would you eat a goose roast, which is our traditional dinner for Christmas? I love it !!!

Posted - November 20, 2019

Responses

witte ganzen | Heerlijk slapen in het romantische bed met donszacht dekbed. De ...

Try feeding your food instead of letting them feed you.  I just made that up.  Maybe it will cheer you a little.  Why are you so hungry anyway?  
      November 21, 2019 11:44 AM MST

I bet you are a blast to be around!
      November 21, 2019 3:41 PM MST

I celebrate Thanksgiving for my love of holiday traditions!  This year Thanksgiving dinner will be at my house and I'll be serving pheasant just like I do at every holiday dinner that's at my house.  I live on a farm but I don't raise animals for food but it is legal for me to hunt non-endangered animals [small game only, I've never hunted anything else] on my own property without a license and there aren't any bag limits [after researching it there actually is a limit for private property owners but it's high enough that I'll never have to worry about going over it] so wild pheasant is what I serve for holiday dinners along with all of the side dishes which mostly come from my own garden.

This year I'll be having two guests from Colorado at my house for Thanksgiving dinner which will be my cousin and her new wife.  This is actually the first time I'm having a holiday dinner with extended family at my own house.  In my family we have something we call holiday dinner rotation and my husband's family does the exact same thing but I haven't heard them actually call it that so it's basically alternating between different family member's houses and having them come to my house for holiday dinners so for Thanksgiving or Christmas I'm either going to Colorado or Minnesota or staying home.

I'll be hosting Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for extended family now because my mom's brother in Colorado basically permanently disinvited everybody who went to his daughter's wedding so we had to rework our holiday dinner rotation.

This year will be a drama-free Thanksgiving because we won't have any of the turkeys over this year, most of which are from my mom's side of the family in Minnesota even though drama can be entertaining.  If you're going to Thanksgiving dinner with my mom's side of the family watching the big fight is a holiday tradition.  The only problem is it's not the big fight on TV, it's the big fight in the dining room after someone got triggered and got up from their chair so umm yeah, my family's kind of weird.

This post was edited by Livvie at November 21, 2019 3:48 PM MST
      November 20, 2019 11:56 PM MST

Where do you live that there is no Bag Limit?  Even South Dakota has bag limits for residents, Wyoming definitely.  Relatives from MN sounds like my extended family and the Drama - wait they are from Minnesota.  Too funny - thanks for making me smile today

Now do you breast the Pheasant or clean the whole bird.  I always breast and then cook them in Brandy and with a dried fruit preferably apricots.
      November 21, 2019 6:44 AM MST

I live in South Dakota and you're right, there is a limit for private property owners on the books which I had to do some research on it but it's high enough that I never had to worry about it because the two to four pheasant I shoot per season for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner doesn't come anywhere near it.  If I were hunting on public lands then yeah, I would need a hunting license and the limit would be pretty easy to reach.

I should probably clarify my post more about hunting laws on my own property (things like no license required only applies to small game, only applies to people living on my property and immediate family members on my own property, still has to be in season for some animals but not for others) but explaining all of that in a single post would be a little too tedious.  I've never been deer hunting on my own property because the state's pretty stingy about deer.

This post was edited by Livvie at November 21, 2019 4:03 PM MST
      November 21, 2019 9:00 AM MST

I totally understand, SD is a great place.  Have too manz friends there ß enjoz.  Now as an aside question is not the best rush the 1st pheasant rising of the season........
      November 21, 2019 8:55 PM MST

• Thank you, that was fun to read. Unfortunately - so many family come together's are laced with family fights. Maybe it is the Portwine before the meal??? - or the Cognac and Beer after it? Maybe cigar smoke not tolerated by the host?  Hehehe....
      November 21, 2019 11:34 AM MST

They start trolling each other as soon as they walk in the front door and they're already pretty rowdy even before the wine or beer get poured.

However, there was an one epic battle at the dinner table over wine which my cousin Jenny had with her son.  She took a trip with her son to visit other family members in Argentina.  Her son was 18 and he just graduated high school so while they were having dinner the Argentine cousins poured him a glass of wine but Jenny told him she wasn't going to allow him to have it before he was 21 so the story I heard was that it turned became a total screaming war at the dinner table.

There was a part about that trip that was even funnier that Jenny really wishes everybody would forget but now that's inspiration for a question about dumb things Americans do when traveling to other countries. 
      November 21, 2019 3:21 PM MST

As well it should.  My oldest kids could go out to the bars at 16 for wine and Beer.  You were appying Amrican values on a different culture.  Also you were their guest
      November 21, 2019 8:39 PM MST

lol, She didn't make Americans look particularly good on that trip (talked politics and assumed they agreed with everything she said) but the funniest thing was they went there in late June.  My cousin David (her son) was smart enough to bring some warm clothes but Jenny only packed her light summer clothes because after all, it's the end of June, middle of summer, right?  Umm yeah, so if the place you're going is 39 degrees south of the equator and it's the end of June should probably take along something warm to wear.

It was cold and snowing.  She spent the day shopping for sweaters and a new coat.

November 21, 2019 10:06 PM MST

No. Thanksgiving isn't a thing in Australia.
      November 21, 2019 2:52 AM MST

My wife and I don't celebrate holidays unless invited over to my daughter's place. That is where we will be going next week. I am not a fan of turkey. In fact, I'm not really a fan of food and will only eat small amounts. I don't care about traditions. I could just as easily sit home, have a frozen lasagna, drink beer and watch football.
      November 21, 2019 7:11 AM MST

• Sounds all good to my ears, E99. Prosit!
      November 21, 2019 11:36 AM MST

Ditto, but I'll have a homemade lasagna. Nobody does it half as good as my better half does.
      November 21, 2019 9:14 PM MST

I like your football better, too.
      November 22, 2019 6:44 AM MST

You're the only American I've ever known to say that.
      November 22, 2019 11:05 PM MST

Please, I just got done watching Manu beat Chelsea.  Football is what Americans call socceer.  American Football is slow and boring
      November 24, 2019 4:44 AM MST

Ever seen Australian football? Two hours of barely controlled mayhem.
      November 24, 2019 11:00 PM MST

wow......great minds think alike, LOL......I feel the same way........I'm in my 70's & even over the last many years have said........'enough with the holidays already!!"...

I feel celebrating birthdays is WAY more important.......my family lives out of town and we get together 3 times a year for birthdays........a very nice tradition, I think.

I gave up driving out of town for holidays years ago and my family KNOWS not to invite Uncle Ben....but they still do, bless their hearts, even tho' they know the answer!!!  LOL

I enjoyed the holidays when I was young and have many fond memories, but that doesn't mean I have to CONTINUE with it.......so I'm with you..........

even a PBJ sandwich and good strong coffee would be enough of a 'feast' for me this Thanksgiving.

So good for your......stick to your belief!!  

and enjoy that lasagna!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

:-D
      November 21, 2019 7:33 AM MST