Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Education » College folks here. Did you belong to a sorority or fraternity?

College folks here. Did you belong to a sorority or fraternity?

I did not.

Posted - November 24, 2019

Responses

hahaha
    it was a Surfing Fraternity
    at CSCLB
    in Southern California
    Phi Kappa Tau i think.
    ...that was it...we surfed
      November 24, 2019 4:20 PM MST

NOW THAT IS A FRATERNITY.  
      November 25, 2019 9:52 AM MST

Yep. I know surfie types. They watch out for each other.
    There isn't one that hasn't saved somebody's life in a wipeout.
      November 25, 2019 10:11 PM MST

I tried but wasn't accepted.
      November 24, 2019 4:22 PM MST

They did you a HUGE favor.
      November 25, 2019 9:53 AM MST

I realized that sometime after.
      November 25, 2019 9:57 AM MST

Being rejected bites.  That's why I cannot stand that stuff.
      November 25, 2019 12:19 PM MST

• Nope. I don't think Greek life would've been for me. I had friends in fraternities and it always seemed like an awful lot of drinking. 
      November 24, 2019 4:36 PM MST

Oh, it wasn't so awful. But there was a fair amount of drinking and messing around with almost any drug you can think of.
      November 24, 2019 4:49 PM MST

Phi Kappa Phi, an honor society
      November 24, 2019 5:00 PM MST

Theta and Chi are initials for the Greek words meaning "helping hand."

My room was the left window above the bay window.

November 24, 2019 5:05 PM MST

I love the pictures.  COOL. VERY COOL.
      November 25, 2019 9:54 AM MST

Nope.

and to quote one of my favorite comediennes, Judy Tenuta, talking about why she wasn't in one  -

" . . . I have a personality of MY OWN"

:)
      November 24, 2019 8:18 PM MST

You will love this one.  I was in Chicago riding in a cab and this driver had a picture of Judy in his cab on his dash. I asked him why, and he said she was his NIECE.  He was VERY proud of Judy and I always liked her.  We bonded. LOL 
      November 25, 2019 9:55 AM MST

I LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THAT IS SO DAMN COOL! I WANT TO RIDE IN HIS CAB AND TELL HIM HOW MUCH I LOVE HER HUMOR! 
    I've already told Judy herself - - I met her in person. 
    She is SO damn funny to me.

Thanks for sharing this!
      November 25, 2019 8:21 PM MST

I gotta look her up again.  I mean I loved her but have not thought of her in forever.  This was the 70's when that cabbie picked me up in Chicago.  I know Judy was from Chi-town.  And I remember her being funny and then disappearing.  I'm glad you brought her up.  YOU MET HER????? LOL  That would make her Uncle so happy, you and I talking about this all this time later.  He was cool too.  
      November 25, 2019 8:24 PM MST

I love your story so much!
    Yeah, I met her after one of her shows. She was very nice, just shooting-the-breeze type of nice talk. 
    :)
      November 25, 2019 8:29 PM MST

I don't really know, but I always thought that fraternities and sororities were for rich kids.  I was a working student, I don't even know how you try out for a fraternity.
      November 24, 2019 9:31 PM MST

My daughter was in one until she realized it was a total waste of time. (And our money.)
      November 25, 2019 9:47 AM MST

Funny, I had several fraternity brothers who worked while in school. One summer, two of us drove cabs at night for the same local taxi service. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at November 26, 2019 7:38 AM MST
      November 25, 2019 8:34 PM MST

Working their way through Harvard and in a fraternity?  Doesn't sound too likely unless they are superhuman.  My dad likes to tell everyone how he worked while he was in college too.  He worked one hour a week teaching anatomy to forensic students so he could have money for fun on weekends.  I am NOT impressed with that.
      November 26, 2019 7:41 AM MST

When did I say I went to Harvard? I attended Cornell, where lots of kids hadn't gotten into Harvard, which happens to be our bitter rival, especially in ice hockey. Driving a cab 12 hours a night, admittedly during the summer break, is hardly the same as you suggest. But I also worked at the Statler Inn on campus during the school year in food service, and other kids had jobs like that and also managed to study. The same is true at many colleges, including Harvard.

I must say, you sound rather angry and perhaps a tad jealous about all of this. And based on my experience, it seems like you are making assumptions and generalizations in the absence of actual knowledge.
      November 26, 2019 8:40 AM MST

You know, I agree with you.  I was born into great privilege and lost it almost immediately because of an illness.  I was promised a free ride through the best schools but, on my own, I could only afford a Community College when the time actually came, then a state University.  I was exhausted by the time I made the through. Only 13% of "at risk," "housing insecure," or "without an adult benefactor" make it to graduation (College Board, 2017).  I took the most difficult courses I could and sought to cram everything into my long-term memory because I wanted to get MY money's worth.  I am not disappointed in how I performed under duress, but I'm sure I would have gone on to earn an advanced degree if the promise of my early years had come true.  You don't get paid extra for overcoming adversity in acquiring knowledge and marketable skills.  Gotta go.  Didn't proof read so don't correct.  Your words will fall on deaf ears, or eyes, whatever.
      November 26, 2019 1:42 PM MST

When I was in college Fraternities and Sororities  were an embarrassment.    I would have DIED rather than join them.  I was a HIPPIE when HIPPIES were cool and we did not ever consider anything that carbon copied establishment worth a fig.  

I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but back in the 60's and 70's sororities were snobbish phoney cliques filled with no one you wanted to know.  Out of touch weirdos.  (sorry Stu and Randy, ain't nobody got time for all them hyphens)

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 25, 2019 8:28 PM MST
      November 25, 2019 9:52 AM MST