Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Education » College folks here. Did you belong to a sorority or fraternity?

College folks here. Did you belong to a sorority or fraternity?

I did not.

Posted - November 24, 2019

Responses

I started college in 1978, the year Animal House came out, so fraternities suddenly became cool again after declining in popularity during the 60s and 70s.
      November 25, 2019 8:31 PM MST

We don't have the same customs here - no sororities or fraternities.
    Most of the universities have colleges or housing where students can live on or close to campus.
    The older unis have same-gender colleges; the newer ones are co-ed. But these residences don't form clubs. 
    But these tend to be very expensive, so most students live in privately rented rooms and share-houses in suburbs close by.

Every university has its official alumni of graduates - but these amount to a year-book and a registry. They don't result in social connections.
    None of the unis has cottoned on to the American idea of encouraging a sense of identification - so they don't get many endowments from successful former students.
    With the exception of the middle-class, Australians tend to be irreverent towards authority - they're suspicious of both power and knowledge.

The friendships formed at uni tend to be personal and quite chancy - who you happen to meet during tutorials, in the student quadrangles, the libraries, the common rooms or the cafés.

This post was edited by inky at November 26, 2019 1:49 PM MST
      November 25, 2019 7:04 PM MST

What you said about friendships being chancy is true of life in general.
      November 26, 2019 2:41 PM MST

No college wanted me ,so I'm self taunt .....I belonged to my parents and now belong to who I live with....i also have no idea wat the last S&F WURDS mean.... :( 
    Im just a dumb ares really that's fourever going through a bad spell.....:( 
      November 25, 2019 10:08 PM MST

The Frat thing never really caught on in Australia, thank God. Plenty of students share digs, but the Greek stuff we don't do. We're Barbs.
      November 26, 2019 12:30 AM MST