Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Travel » There's a waterfall near Ithaca, NY, called Buttermilk Falls, named for the frothy appearance of its churning waters.

There's a waterfall near Ithaca, NY, called Buttermilk Falls, named for the frothy appearance of its churning waters.

What are other natural places named for a food or drink, and how did those names come to be?

Posted - November 24, 2019

Responses

• It's a nice gorge but is ruined by droves of trustafarian pseudo-hippies.
      November 25, 2019 7:29 AM MST

And how does that answer the question?
      November 25, 2019 7:33 AM MST

• It doesn't sperglord.   It's a comment on the place in the thread title, which makes it still on the topic.
      November 25, 2019 7:36 AM MST

Pizza Italy where that leaning tower was built. 
      November 25, 2019 7:31 AM MST

I think it's Pisa.
      November 25, 2019 7:32 AM MST

It's pronounced the same anyway. 
      November 25, 2019 7:35 AM MST

I thought it was funny Kittigate!  I got it and would have definitely given you credit for creativity and originality.... just like YOUUUUU!!  :) :)
      November 25, 2019 6:57 PM MST

Sh-t Creek.  Some years ago, I rode my bicycle along a bike trail. Outside of town was a cow pasture. The creek that drained the area was full of blue sewage water. 
      November 25, 2019 8:36 AM MST

You eat sh-t?
      November 25, 2019 8:47 AM MST

Who eats a creek?   I didn't see the FOOD part.  My bad. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 25, 2019 4:27 PM MST
      November 25, 2019 8:49 AM MST

Buttermilk Falls. People drink buttermilk. Read the question again.
      November 25, 2019 8:51 AM MST

Sun City.  I live there.  It is SUNNY all year round.  
      November 25, 2019 8:38 AM MST

But sun is not food. Minor detail. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at November 25, 2019 4:27 PM MST
      November 25, 2019 8:46 AM MST

Major.  I didn't see the food part.  
      November 25, 2019 8:50 AM MST

There are mountains all over the world called Sugar Loaf or Sugarloaf. I've never seen a real "loaf" of sugar but I assume they were given that name because they are steep-sided rather than round or conical.
      November 25, 2019 11:10 AM MST

I think there are sweet breads that may have that title. I'll look. I'm curious.

Cinnamon Sugarloaf

Rated as 3 out of 5 Stars

Recipe by:Cheerios

"A very chewy loaf with the goodness of whole grain sweetened with maple sugar on top and a cinnamon taste to savor with your morning breakfast or afternoon tea."

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 25, 2019 4:18 PM MST
      November 25, 2019 11:31 AM MST

Loaf refers to the shape.  Sugar, Salt, etc used to be sold in small "loafs", aka drip mounds. The mountains called that resembled Sugar Loafs
      January 9, 2020 1:17 PM MST

There is the Komati river in Africa from siSwati meaning "cow."  I knaw on cow from time to time.  How it claimed it's name, I'm not certain.  I can assume the cows used to drink from it or it is shaped like a cow.

There is the Modder river also in Africa from Afrikaans meaning "mud."  I hate to say it but I've eaten my fair share of mud. ;)  It was named this because it is muddy.

There is the Ob river in Asia meaning snowflake, or snow.  I definitely have gobbled snow!  Named why?  Because it is cold up there and fed by snow.

November 25, 2019 4:26 PM MST

The Aussie towns named after food

Bacon and Eggs Bay, TAS
    Located in the south of Tasmania, the bay has just 244 people. It’s about half an hour from Hobart, and was named after a governor’s wife, who once served eggs and bacon there.

Oyster Bay, NSW
     My father sometimes sailed his Crown to Oyster Bay. Known for its big, juicy oysters, Oyster Bay is a suburb in southern Sydney.  I grew up in Whale Beach, about 80 k’s north.

Lamington National Park, QLD
    Lamingtons are a famous Australian type of cake made from layers of vanilla sponge alternating with a rich chocolate paste, coated in the paste and thickly dusted with grated coconut. However, the Lamington Plateau was not named after the cake.
    The Plateau of the McPherson Range on the Queensland/New South Wales border, not too far from where I live. It has a subtropical climate and contains some of Australia’s most interesting and rare flora and fauna.
    At the moment, it’s in the midst of an uncontrollable bushfire caused by the continuing drought.
    The park was named after Governor of Queensland Lord Lamington in 1915. 

Orange, NSW
    Located in the central west region of New South Wales, Orange wasn’t named after the citrus fruit, but after Prince William of Orange. 
    However, the region is known for producing some of Australia’s best apples, pears, and stone fruits.

Berri, SA
    The name “Berri” derives from the local Aboriginal tribe, Meri, meaning “a wide bend around the river”. You’ll find Berri in South Australia’s Riverland region, where it’s home to Berri Juice Company. It is an exceptional fruit growing region thanks to irrigation from the usually mighty Murray river. Unfortunately, the current drought, the most severe on record, has run water levels critically low and this year’s crops will be small and poor.

Banana, QLD
    Nope, it wasn’t named after the state fruit – rather, the quaint rural town of Banana found in Central Queensland was named in the 1860s after a bullock named Banana, who was used by local stockmen to help them when herding wild cattle into yards. It is not the home of the Big Banana, which is just plain confusing.

Scone, NSW
    Located in the Upper Hunter Shire of the Hunter Region of NSW, Scone is known as the horse capital of Australia. Many thousands of racing Thoroughbreds, trotters, Quarterhorses, Australian Stockhorses and Arabians are bred there.
    The town is full of dozens of exceptional scone shops run by the Country Women’s Association of Australia. However, it wasn’t named for the food. It was named after the place of birth of one of the Scotts who first settled there.

Figtree, NSW
    The inner west suburb of Figtree sits southeast of Woollongong, NSW. Figtree got its name simply from the town’s giant fig tree. The tree does produce an abundance of figs, but most of them get eaten by fruitbats.

November 25, 2019 6:17 PM MST

There is a cluster of natural shafts in the Pennine Hills of NW England, called the Buttertubs. Their location is thus the Buttertubs Pass.

"Churn" appears in some Yorkshire and Derbyshire cave or cave-feature names, but appears to reflect old-time lead-miners' terms and I do not know if it was inspired by making butter by churning the cream.

One Pennine Hills cave called Long Churn, contains a squeeze called The Cheese-press.

My nickname here is from the famous Dorset coast feature, Durdle Door, a rock arch. That has no food links, but a few miles from it are a Bran Point and a Brandy Bay. I do not know their etymology so caution against jumping to pseudo-romantic notions of 18C smuggling! 

Also on the Dorset coast is the village of Langton Herring, but as far as I know that fish was never caught in this area. Mackerel is much more common. I think it more likely it was a family name centuries ago: cf. Langton Matravers, near Swanage.

Not itself edible but the animal that grows it certainly is: the village of Wool.
      January 9, 2020 11:12 AM MST