Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Socially progressive and culturally conservative" I have no clue what that means do you?

"Socially progressive and culturally conservative" I have no clue what that means do you?

SOCIAL

Enjoying the company of others

CULTURAL

Engaging in or appreciating what is regarded as EXCELLENT in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits.

Posted - November 27, 2019

Responses

I'm glad you asked this question, Rosie, because people who answer that description exist and often feel they are denied an identity. There is a prevailing assumption - although it is starting to break down - that people have to be conservative on everything or liberal on everything.

To me, the "culturally conservative" part would imply valuing both elite, and traditional culture, and those elements of popular culture that are edifying or elevate the spirit. So, using your list, here's some off-the-cuff examples of what it might include:

Arts: Admiring high quality art, sculpture, films, etc, supporting the conservation of historic buildings or replacing them with something equally good. Opposing bad art, bad modern architecture, offensiveness and transgression for its own sake in art, excessive sex violence and profanity in film and TV.

Letters: Believing in the value of correct grammar, spelling, punctuation and usage, whether in speech or writing. Opposing bad writing, bad arguments and logical fallacies.

Manners: I would include good manners generally, consideration for others and your environment, self-respect, self-reliance, respecting your parents, helping your neighbours. Perhaps I should add avoidance of excessive smartphone use?

Scholarly pursuits: Being dedicated to the pursuit of truth, avoiding dishonesty or sloppy research.

The "socially progressive" part: I would tend to assume it means support for public policy measures, motivated by a benevolent or egalitarian spirit, that are considered likely to improve the quality of life for the majority, or for people who are disadvantaged in some way. It could include support for increased workers' rights, tenants' rights, better public housing, more spending on health care or education (or new methods of delivering them), greater civil liberties, and so on. 

So, yes, it is possible to combine both of them. What I haven't included in this analysis is family and sexual matters - e.g. marriage equality, trans issues, the role of women in society, parental versus state authority, and so on - I suppose these could come under the heading of "social" or "cultural". That's too big a topic for this post!

November 27, 2019 2:06 PM MST

Wow Rev! I appreciate your investing time to FULLY answer the question I asked. You did it in a very careful methodical and most important to me LOGICAL way. I am guilty of broadbrushing as you describe. I am a progressive liberal Democrat and thus I don't think there is anything remotely conservative about me. AND YET I am old-fashioned old-school and let's be honest old. I believe in being faithful honorable honest. I believe in following the rules even if I am not happy with them. I believe in saying please and thank you. I used to believe in respecting institutions and certain professions but well that's been shot to he** in the last three years. So I don't know if I am socially conservative and culturally liberal or vicey versa but I am not all one thing so I guess others aren't as well. Nice to hear from you and Happy Thanksgiving! :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 29, 2019 5:13 AM MST
      November 28, 2019 2:03 AM MST