Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "I think it's unfortunate to be called out for a comment you made 8 years ago". Why? Is there an expiration date on hate?

"I think it's unfortunate to be called out for a comment you made 8 years ago". Why? Is there an expiration date on hate?

Are we not the sum total of everything we ever said or did? Are we not accountable/responsible for them for life? If not who the he** is?

Posted - November 27, 2019

Responses

I agree that's a long time to "hold a grudge".
    What has been the person's speech/actions since then?

Not to mention in this day of "sound bites", it's too common for people to take comments out of context.

I don't know one person who didn't say/do some VERY stupid things, when they were young.
    While I may joke with them about those stories, I wouldn't hold it against them after they outgrew it.

Of course, some people take longer to outgrow stupidity than others.  lol
      November 27, 2019 1:59 PM MST

Of course it's possible for people to change. There was a story a few months back of a skinhead who turned his life around, regretted his past actions and made it his life's work to educate other skinheads about the evil they were engaged in doing with their lives. I totally believed him. HOWEVER we never stop being responsible for what we said and did. And also if we said it or did it that means at one time we were that person. What guarantee do we have that we won't become that person again? If you lied once you're a liar. If you cheated on a mate once you are a cheater. If you murder once you are a murderer even though you may become a priest or whatever job you could get to atone for you sins. The point is if you did it once you can do it again. Sure there are things I've said and done I wish I hadn't. But at the time that was my TRUTH and I cannot guarantee it won't be my truth again. That's how I look at it. When these things come out it's very inconvenient for those who portray themselves as goody twoshoes. Embarrassing. But they happened and so they will always be available to bring up. Thank you for your thoughtful reply Walt and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! :)
      November 28, 2019 2:12 AM MST

Well, we CAN change in 8 years and we can change in ONE year.  The only thing that matters is if you are sincere and prove that in that 8 years you have changed and have grown and have owned up to your mistakes.

That is totally fine. It is when you spin it and deny it and get angry at those who are pointing out what you did, that shows you have not changed at all.
    (NOT YOU, ROSIE, it is an example of TRUMP mostly)

November 27, 2019 7:23 PM MST

What guarantee is there that you won't do/say it again? Change back to being THAT PERSON? You did it/said once. Possible you will do it/say it again. Thank you for your reply.
      November 28, 2019 2:14 AM MST