Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Nothing serves incompetence better than inherited wealth. It covers up lack of intelligence accomplishment talent honor, right?

Nothing serves incompetence better than inherited wealth. It covers up lack of intelligence accomplishment talent honor, right?

Posted - December 1, 2019

Responses

Not necessarily.  It can, however, promote laziness.  Inherited wealth didn't cost the inheritor anything, therefore it doesn't mean as much to them as compared to money they had to work hard for to earn (generally speaking).  Which is more valuable a dollar found or a dollar earned?
    An unexpected windfall is usually spent quickly, while earned money is (usually) carefully budgeted or saved.
      December 1, 2019 10:31 AM MST

There are some born-to-wealth people who walked away from it and did their own thing. I admire that bigly. A dollar is worth the same Shuhak. Monetarily speaking. I've found money and been very happy. My son found a wadded up $100 bill in a parking lot of a market in Malibu. The most I ever found was $5. Finding pennies is good luck. Finding nickels or quarters more good luck. I found a wallet once with $100 bill in it after Jim and I looked inside to see if we could find an ID. We did. The wallet belonged to the father of a local. He was visiting and had her name and number in his wallet. They were thrilled that we contacted them and reeturned it. OF COURSE we returned it. Anyway I enjoy gifts as well as what I buy. When I save up for something it is meaningful. But if someone had gifted me with it I would have enjoyed as much. I think. Thank you for your reply Shuhak.
      December 1, 2019 11:17 AM MST

Monetarily speaking yes, a found dollar and an earned dollar have the same purchasing value.  However, which is more "valuable" to the owner?
    Which is one more apt to spend quicker, a found dollar or an earned one? (again, generally speaking).  The earned one has more value to that person as it represents part of their life.  They traded a portion of their life (time) for that dollar.  A found dollar is just a dollar.  This is the same principle as inheriting wealth or earning wealth.  A million dollars earned and a million dollars inherited may have the same monetary value, but not the same "personal" value to the possessor.  (there are always exceptions to this - myself being one).

Twice I've found a $20 while walking through the park.  One in one of the parking lots, the other out in the woods (at dawn no less).  I've always picked up money (called it supplemental income).  Back when I worked for Ralph's, I found a 50 peso bill in the parking lot.  Foreign money, but still.... To me, money has value (probably because I grew up in a very poor family)  I've known people who'd toss pennies because to them they had no value.  However, 100 pennies equals a dollar... and few would toss a dollar away.
      December 1, 2019 12:24 PM MST

I did too Shuhak. I remember once my dad was out of work and he got a temp job distributing phone books door to door. And I remember a time when company was coming over for dinner and mom had $5 to spend. She bought a roast (this was at least 7 decades ago) and then baked bread which everyone thought was awesome. She baked it because she could make it cheaper at home than buy it. I'd say we were lower middle income. We were never hungry or homeless. Mom made our clothes (I have a younger sister). We took vacations rarely. I remember two. But we didn't suffer. I know the value of a dollar and I've always been a hard worker. For us money represents survival. For the wealthy it just represents  a means to get what they want. Survival is not on the table. It is a given for the wealthy.  Must be nice to live that kind of life. Thank you for your reply.
      December 2, 2019 2:16 AM MST

My mom made our clothes too (and they were better than boughten ones).  Our "vacations" consisted of hiking, picnicking, and rock hopping along the local rivers.    4 times we went camping in the redwoods on the north coast (no tent).  Like you we were never lacking anything (unfortunately that includes peas... yuck!).  So what if our drinking glasses were jelly jars and our plates were the free ones you got in a sack of flour.  Our TV was a 6" B/W Philco that my uncle gave us (not that there was much reception up here, and only 4 channels)  Our "silverware" was from Betty Crocker.  No, as kids we thought we were wealthy.  And looking back I can see that we really were.
      December 2, 2019 10:21 AM MST

I think we had a Philco too. Was that only brand? Anyway we come from similar roots for sure and so we share experiences that the wealthy will never have.Thank you for sharing that slice of your life Shuhak. It brings back a flood of memories. We went camping once at Yosemite. We went to visit relatives in Fresno and then we all went together. It was amazing. I think to get into Yosemite now you have to book a year in advance. Progress!
      December 2, 2019 11:34 AM MST

But not everyone will be competent, intelligent, accomplished, honorable, or talented inherited wealth or not.  When all we have going for us is the wealth we have inherited that is the only things people are liable to be interested in us for. 
      December 1, 2019 10:38 AM MST

That is true. This question is specifically about those who aren't. Thank you for your reply og.
      December 1, 2019 11:18 AM MST