Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Travel » Anyone among muggers who traveled more in the USA, including Alaska, and in Canada as I did since 2000??

Anyone among muggers who traveled more in the USA, including Alaska, and in Canada as I did since 2000??

Posted - December 1, 2019

Responses

• Only Interstates and roads are highlighted, not the uncounted sightseeing byways. I-10 is the most traveled one by us - we love the warmth and not the cold. Frozen pipelines in the RV are not so good.....
      December 1, 2019 12:54 PM MST

Not me.
    :)
      December 1, 2019 12:59 PM MST

• Thank You, Welby, for your short answer. I could write a 30-minute essay on that. In some moments of my life I wish we never would have started that lifestyle. We were living in the present and never concidered our life in the "Eighties". It makes wonderful memories - but now we have to live out our lives in an RV. My hubby is ailing and unable to manage all the gadgets outside, and I am also unable physically to handle those - like awnings, propane bottles etc. Our neighbors told me to be there for me when I need them, but I am always hesitant to ask.  But then - could I do much better in a house with more living space?? Swipe the floors, clean several bedrooms and baths? The cleaning demands in an RV are the most minimal, but then there are the repairs, which are expensive. Right now one of our double refrigerators/freezers. which work independently, was shutting down. A new cooling unit plus installation costs us about 1000 Dollars. We always have to sleep in the bed we make for ourselves, so to speak, and I think so far I am managing our living very well.
      December 1, 2019 6:06 PM MST

Oh, wow! I owe you an apology! I did not intend my comment as a "comment" to your answer there! I meant my post as my stand-alone answer but I placed it in the wrong place, sorry! I only meant to say that I've not traveled a lot like you have.
    :)
      December 1, 2019 6:14 PM MST

No, but since that year, I traveled extensively both nationally and internationally. Colorado, Nevada, Florida, Arizona, New York, Georgia, Texas, Washington (state), Illinois, Philippines, China, South Korea, Amsterdam, Armenia, Belarus, Guatemala, Peru, Honduras, England, France, Nigeria, Panama. There may be other locations that I have forgotten at the moment. 
    ~
      December 1, 2019 1:15 PM MST

• Wow, Randy, you must have the right job for that or a big portfolio. It certainly widens one horizon and interest about knowledge concerning countries of the world. When we still lived in Germany, we made already vacations with an RV, we went to Austria, Italy, Netherlands, Danmark, Sweden, Norway. Of course, when we were near Yuma, AZ, we visited Mexico, the colorful city of Algodones, to shop around and had our teeth done. And bought some prescription medicines for a couple of Dollars. When we would have bought those in the US we would have to pay over 100 Dollars per month - and, of course - the pills were made in Phoenix, AZ. Thanks for your reply !!
      December 1, 2019 1:42 PM MST

I went to Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana over 300 times last year. 
      December 1, 2019 2:40 PM MST

• When you go there the next time. send me a smoked  Halibutt from northern Michigan! As a German Girl I appreciate all kinds of fish delicacies. The last one we ate there I almost started talking to the heavens above. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 2, 2019 9:07 AM MST
      December 1, 2019 4:56 PM MST

When I get back from Michigan, I am more likely to have a sore butt rather than a halibutt!
      December 2, 2019 9:08 AM MST

• That was funny !!!!! Not so funny for you having to sleep on your stomach.......
      December 2, 2019 11:12 AM MST

Since 2000?  I went to Chicago and back to Arizona.  Once.  I'm boring.  I have been to very few places to visit. I usually just move in.  So, I've lived in Chicago for 40 years, then South Florida, then Arizona.  I have been to more states than this, and would love to live in Colorado, but it is too expensive there now.  Now that pot is legal, everyone wants to get in on the money that can be made from it.  

I digress.  
    cars near buildings

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 1, 2019 6:15 PM MST
      December 1, 2019 2:42 PM MST

• Nice thing with RV'ing is that you LIVE on the road, cook and bake your own meals, sleep in your own bed, shower, do laundry. We had several 5-star RV places memberships, where the time in the RV Resort was a vacation by itself, as you can imagine. We were walking every day long stretches and hiking sometimes. We worked twice in northern California as hosts by BLM. And an entire year in a big resort in Port Aransas, Texas- Dieter outside and I in the office.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 1, 2019 6:15 PM MST
      December 1, 2019 3:48 PM MST

I have been to Maine twice during that time. Kenosha, WI once and Detroit twice for ball games. One more. Florida to visit my sister. This post was edited by Element 99 at December 1, 2019 6:15 PM MST
      December 1, 2019 2:59 PM MST

• We never were in Maine. We lived in Pennsylvania before 2000 for 16 years, and when we had vacation, we never had the urge to go north, rather "SOUTH" !! On our USA travels we missed the 6 most northeastern states. Many times we admired Maine and the Labrador area from above, on our flights to and back from Germany. We were parked in Wisconsin twice, in the Northern Woods, in the summer of 2006 and 2012 on the private property of our Arizona camperfriends. Wonderful area around the small city of Winter.
      December 1, 2019 4:13 PM MST

We are in the Missouri take a 6 hr trip to IL about 4 times a year (48hrs/yr=960hrs). And 8 hr trip to KY about 4 a year (84hrs/yr=1280 hrs), 20 hr trip to TX about 4 times a year (since 2016, 160/yr=640 hrs) we went to FL 4 times (160 hrs), CA once (50 hrs), Iowa a couple of times (40 hrs),  and 4 hr in state about 25 times a years in years (2000-2007)(200hrs/yr=1600hrs), about 65 hrs picking and dropping of our son in college.

At an average of 55mph for 4795 driving hrs that is 263,725 miles. All in the US mainland with many, many repeat trips.

I do not know if that is more miles than you or not but you certainly went to a more variety of places.

This post was edited by my2cents at December 1, 2019 6:15 PM MST
      December 1, 2019 3:57 PM MST

• You might have beat us by the mileage, I do not know exactly, because we had 2 trucks during that time and a motorhome for 3 years. And we stopped active traveling in Florida in 2015 because of my breast cancer, I had a double mastectomy then.
      December 1, 2019 4:18 PM MST

Wow. Glad you are still around.

Looks like you travels are more for actual traveling. Other than the IL trips, CA, 2 FL and picking up from college the rest are all for business purposes.  
      December 1, 2019 4:38 PM MST

• RV'ing is one of the greatest businesses lately. We are retired for a long time and could travel at our discretion. We did not spend much other than our nightly fees and fuel. and our food, of course - - and for some GB of Internet service. It has been the silver lining to our outside world... This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 1, 2019 6:15 PM MST
      December 1, 2019 4:48 PM MST

This spring we took a road trip from East-central Florida to Powell River BC, Banff AL, and back by a different route.  It was the bomb (I think that's what kids say these days).  It was boss.
      December 1, 2019 6:54 PM MST

Nifty. 
    Groovy. 
    Neat-O. 
    Out of sight. 
    A gas. 
    The living end. 
    Copasetic.
    To beat the band.
    Tildematic.
    ~

December 1, 2019 11:19 PM MST

• On our way to Alaska in 2003 we wanted to visit Lake Luise, but we missed the exit. Since we did not have the GPS system then and knowing nothing about the roads there, we went on. We drove the 34' Winnebago motorhome with our car towed behind it. https://alaskatour2003.weebly.com/ This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 2, 2019 11:24 AM MST
      December 2, 2019 11:21 AM MST

Whitehair in the 19 years since 2000 I think the only state I have not been too is Arkansas, Provinces the only one not visited NW territories.  And to that all of the Europe, Most of the Middle East, and more.  Say about 80 countries for work and pleasure
      December 6, 2019 4:48 AM MST