Nice Jugs
Morning Person
Trump is toast tic tic tic tic
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Dog owners and cat owners, are there any of you who DO NOT assume that other people automatically want to pet your pet, or to have your pet

Dog owners and cat owners, are there any of you who DO NOT assume that other people automatically want to pet your pet, or to have your pet

rub its fur all over them? 

This question refers to those those pet owners who either allow or in some cases make their pets jump onto a person’s lap, climb all over a person, cuddle up to a person, etc.

~

Posted - December 1

• 2939
    It's the other way around in rural parts of Australia.
    One must ask permission of the owner before checking out whether the dog would like to be petted.
    You'd get a nasty spew of verbal abuse if you didn't ask first. 
    It started originally with working dogs. The owner needs the dog to have only one master and one source of pleasure in order to maintain obedience and discipline. This is true at all times for sheep and cattle dogs. It's also true of blind and disabled companion dogs when they're in a harness or on duty in their work clothes.
    And woe betide any person who tries to make friends with a pig hunter's dogs, or the guard dogs in the back of tradesmen's trucks.

Since learning this lesson the hard way, I now ask permission of all owners, even when visiting city areas. This post was edited by bookworm at December 2, 2019 4:09 AM MST
      December 1, 2019 5:34 PM MST
    3

• 26533

Thank you for your reply. 

~
      December 1, 2019 5:36 PM MST
    2

• 26555
    I don't mind if others have a fondness for my cat, but she dislikes and sometimes fears anyone entering our home and usually goes upstairs and hides.
      December 1, 2019 6:06 PM MST
    3

• 3531
    It is rude (and possibly dangerous) to walk up and touch another person's pet without permission

* Thou shalt not touch my cats, lest they bite you and become sick.
    * Thou shalt not tease my cast lest I come and strike thee with a hairball.
    * Thou shalt not touch my dog, lest thou wants to hear him bark, whine and growl with a stuffed animal in his mouth for the next 4 hours.  Be thou forewarned, his tail hast been classified as a lethal weapon.
    * If thou toucheth my pets without my permission, thou must keepeth all fur that dost clingeth to thy vestments... even that which came off of the sofa.
    * Thou shalt admire my older cat and lavish on him much praise, lest he smite you with his mighty claws.
    * Thou shalt ignore my small cat lest he becomes frightened and belcheth... making thy eyes burn for weeks and that paint of my house peel.
    * Thou shalt not calleth my panther-cat "kitty", lest ye bring down his wrath. (9-1-1 is pre-programmed into the phone)

If thou does not abide by these commandments, try not to bleed on the new carpet as thou waiteth for the ambulance.
      December 1, 2019 6:13 PM MST
    2

• 12025
    I own no pets. 

A few months ago while in Lowes I asked a woman who had a dog in her shopping cart if she was going to disinfect the cart when she took her animal out of it.  She stood there with her mouth opened.  I walked away. 
      December 1, 2019 7:08 PM MST
    3

• 6254
    Do you make exceptions for children who are not yet potty trained to sit in those carts or is it just the dogs?
      December 1, 2019 7:23 PM MST
    2

• 12025
    Children are not to be compared to dogs.  You have stated the problem created by people having lost perspective regarding the difference between humans and other animals.  Please try to adjust yourself. 

Stores and other public places are for people, not animals, save animal parks, veterinary facilities, kennel facilities, grooming facilities, training facilities, competitions,  etc.   Lowes is a people store.  The public should not be forced to be around other people's pets in public places.
      December 1, 2019 7:30 PM MST
    1

• 6254
    Human excreta and the lack of adequate personal and domestic hygiene have been implicated in the transmission of many infectious diseases including cholera, typhoid, hepatitis, polio, cryptosporidiosis, ascariasis, and schistosomiasis.  (Internet)

Are you seriously suggesting that the fecal matter of children still in diapers poses no danger to other humans.

And just like TV, no one is forcing you to watch any programs that offend you---either turn it off or unplug it and if necessary don't shop at Lowe's.

And I am familiar with the phylogenetic scale---and trust me, I have not lost any perspective relative to its categories and the "specific differences" used to classify members of the animal kingdom..
      December 2, 2019 12:04 AM MST
    2

• 26533

The television program analogy doesn’t really work here. She didn’t say that she did not want to shop at the store nor that she didn’t want to enter the store. It’s not a choice of selecting between going to the store or not going to the store. She stated that she has an objection to something she encountered inside the store, a situation that if I read and understand her point correctly, is forced upon others; the after-effects of a pet being in a cart that would be later be used by others.
    ~
      December 2, 2019 5:53 AM MST
    3

• 6254
    No, it does work---analogy by definition is not a precise parallel to the situation to which it is analogous.

My point is that now having been made aware that fecal matter and other excreta may in fact have been in the cart provided for her convenience and at her own "presumption of risk" (based on the "reasonable man" test) it is now within her ability to avoid any potential risk associated with the shopping carts provided by the business.
      December 2, 2019 1:01 PM MST
    0

• 26533

At no point did I intimate that an analogy in general nor your analogy in particular was or should be a precise parallel. How's this: you used an absolutely lousy analogy.

You started off your entire deal by going for her jugular, possibly because you took exception to what she had written about animals, or possibly because you didn't like the way she failed to jump on your what-about-the-children plea, fine. 

You have every right to write whatever you think is right, and when others have differing points of view, they also have that same right. If she chooses to restrict her comments to pets on this topic and not expand it to children, it's her prerogative.
    ~
      December 2, 2019 10:39 PM MST
    0

• 6254
    Trying to read my mind accurately, Randy, is as futile as trying to correct my linguistic choices. 

And suggesting that I "used an absolutely lousy analogy" is an opinion---but hardly a statement of fact.

But if it pleases you to think of me in that way, feel free to use me thusly.
      December 3, 2019 1:57 PM MST
    1

• 26533
    I don't think of you. 

You're correct, it is absolutely an opinion. We agree on that point at least. 
     ~ 
      December 3, 2019 8:44 PM MST
    1

• 6254
    So how do you write a response to my comment if you don't think about me?

Would you agree also that not all opinions are equally reasonable?

(It would seem that the word "opinion" eliminates the possibility of "reasonable" being entative as a quality thereof.) 

And I do enjoy our occasional"butting of heads."
      December 5, 2019 11:17 AM MST
    0

• 26533

I think about you just as much you think about me. Divulge!
    ~
      December 5, 2019 9:27 PM MST
    0

• 44085
    I would prefer if no one touched my animals. They are birds and don't like to have anyone come too close.  So leave their feathers alone.  
      December 2, 2019 1:55 AM MST
    3

• 26533
    The dog fur and cat fur portion of the question probably escaped you, right?

:|
      December 2, 2019 6:03 AM MST
    1

• 2939
    Parrots can be very affectionate and love being tickled or massaged o the neck if reared to it from chicken-hood.

I believe people who haven't learned from experts how to handle a species properly should always be kept at bay.
    And only animals well trained and socialised when young should be allowed contact with selected friends.

I respect your attitude to protecting your birds.
      December 6, 2019 11:41 PM MST
    0

• 17189
    As with any unknown animal, you should never pet it without both the pet's and owner's permission. 

My animals are in my home. If you are a stranger to my animals I will remove them before I let you in. The dog because she will bark. The cat because he will attack you...he is the guard not the dog. The dog just wants petted and thinks barking means pet me. 
    If animals are familar with you, you are on your own pet or do not it up to you and the pet. I will make the pet listen if they are bothering the guest. 

Do not pet the reptiles or fish.

This post was edited by my2cents at December 2, 2019 6:58 AM MST
      December 2, 2019 4:06 AM MST
    1

• 26533

I’m not referring to a third party's desire to initiate contact with the dog or cat, I’m referring to pet owners who allow their pets or cause their pets to come into contact with that third party.
    ~

December 2, 2019 8:10 AM MST
    1

• 17189
    As I said IF the animal is bothering the guest I will intervene. 
    I do not take my animals into the public. I generally know the feelings of my guests and my pets about one another. This post was edited by my2cents at December 2, 2019 9:23 AM MST
      December 2, 2019 9:15 AM MST
    1

• 26533

You do realize, don't you, that there are other people in the world besides your guests whose minds you can read?
    ----
      December 2, 2019 8:47 PM MST
    0

• 17189
    Yes but they are not in my house with my pets. 
    You asked about me (the pet owner) 

I do not have to read minds. There are people who do not like animals. I put them up when those come over. There are people who my cat does not like, I also put him up when they come over. 
    If it is a new person I already said I put the animals up. 
    It it is a delivery person, I make sure the cat cannot get to the door. 
    As I said if the animal is bothering the guest I will make the animal listen. 

So, I have no idea what the random people in the rest of the world have to do with the question. They are not near my pets nor their fur. This post was edited by my2cents at December 3, 2019 5:43 AM MST
      December 3, 2019 5:39 AM MST
    0

• 8714
    Most people are frightened of my dog - Staffies get a bum rap. She's the friendliest pet I've ever had, but I do have to physically restrain her from loving people too much. She knocked my elderly mother-in-law over, thankfully the sofa was behind her and she understands dogs. A 70lb lump of clumsy enthusiasm.
      December 3, 2019 12:11 AM MST
    1