Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Do you think we ever go our of our way to see something as insulting that isn't meant to be?

Do you think we ever go our of our way to see something as insulting that isn't meant to be?

A very curious thing got my attention.

A 2020 prez candidate referred to Cory Booker as "well spoken". Now I never say that because it sounds awkward to me. I would say "articulate". But that's just a matter of preference I think.

So Cory brought it up as if it had racial overtones. That it was a putdown of sorts meaning that "for an Afridan American" was implied. I didn't get that at all but then I am not Cory Booker.

Do you ever say someone is "well spoken" and if so what do you mean by it? Anything implied like "for an African American"?

Posted - December 8, 2019

Responses

COREY BOOKER IS A GRAND-STANDER AND NEEDS TO GET A LIFE.  HE THINKS HE IS GOING TO STAY RELEVANT BY PANDERING TO THE BLACK VOTERS.  I THINK COREY'S DAY IN THE SUN IS GOING TO END SOON.  THIS IS JUST STUPID.  MAYBE THE PERSON WHO SAID THAT DID MEAN IT DEROGATORILY, BUT WHO THE HECK IS GOING TO PULL THAT OUT OF THE HAT AND MAKE IT A TALKING POINT.  WE GET IT.  PEOPLE ARE PREJUDICED IN STUPID WAYS; MAKE A POINT BY TALKING ABOUT REAL ISSUES INVOLVING PREJUDICE.  WE HAVE COPS ARRESTING PEOPLE OF COLOR.  TALK ABOUT THAT.  
      December 8, 2019 9:50 AM MST

It seemed egregious to me. I mean as I said I don't say "well spoken" because it's awkward. "Articulate" saves a word anyway. It was kinda offputting to hear Booker say that. Not that I'm a huge fan of Mike Bloomberg but it didn't sound condescending or remotely racist to me. Of course I'm also not an African American so maybe I miss some of the signs. I wonder if Kamala Harris would have reacted in the same way had Bloomberg said she was "well spoken"? Thank you for your thoughtful reply Sharon. I wonder if Bloomberg will dignify that with a reply or just let it slide? This post was edited by RosieG at December 8, 2019 10:05 AM MST
      December 8, 2019 9:55 AM MST

I would like both Booker and Bloomberg to get out of the way and let the REAL CANDIDATES debate.  
      December 8, 2019 10:06 AM MST

I don't know if Booker will last. Does he have a lotta money? Bloomberg has something like $53 BILLION. That some big pocketbook. So I guess it will play out one way or the other. I wonder if any other candidates will jump in? Michelle Obama? Naw. She is way too smart! Thank you for your reply Sharon! :)
      December 8, 2019 10:23 AM MST

There is some history here.

Perhaps you recall a quote, "I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy..."

That was then-candidate Joe Biden in 2007 speaking about then-candidate Barack Obama (before Obama was nominated and picked Biden as his running mate)

The problem with statements like this is the implication that such things ARE ABNORMAL. The language is a reflection of unexamined cultural defaults that how white people look, how they dress, how they speak, etc. is THE STANDARD and those who do not conform to the standard are somehow lesser.

I think it's unlikely the person who described Corey Booker as "well-spoken" meant anything other than the literal interpretation of the phrase. But it does not surprise me that, under current cultural conditions, there are some who hear "dog whistles" even when there are none.

December 8, 2019 10:25 AM MST

He just couldn't get over it.  It was the SAME.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 8, 2019 10:58 AM MST
      December 8, 2019 10:57 AM MST