Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The longest war in US history in Afghanistan is still going on. For18 years US gubment distorted stats and deliberately LIED. Surprised?

The longest war in US history in Afghanistan is still going on. For18 years US gubment distorted stats and deliberately LIED. Surprised?

Cost so far $1 TRILLION? 2,300 died there. Over 20,000 were wounded there. Through it all we were fed proganda according to the Washington Post.

What a mess it was and how unwinnable it was we did not learn per gubment conspiracy collusion and flat out LIES.

What else has the gubment lied about?

Posted - December 9, 2019

Responses

Actually, the longest war is US history is Korea.
    1950 to present ... 69 years

As far as Afghanistan is concerned ... anybody who was paying attention to the news in the 1980s would have recognized it was a mistake to get involved there.  The Russians wasted 9 years (Dec 1979- Feb 1989) in that country.  

Anytime a country is divided among tribal/clan leaders, with a weak central government ... you shouldn't get involved.

December 9, 2019 7:23 AM MST

We are still fighting a war in Korea?
      December 9, 2019 7:37 AM MST

Yep.
    There was an armistice signed in 1953 ... but no peace treaty.
    There have been active clashes between the two sides since 1953, so it's still a "shooting war".

Not to mention the attempts by North Korea to literally tunnel into South Korea. 
    Tunnels large enough to serve as highways for a military invasion.

As a historical tidbit ... WW1 also "ended" with an armistice.
    So really, WW2 was a resumption of hostilities ... not a separate war.

December 9, 2019 7:59 AM MST

Yep, and thanks to TRUMP, it looks like we are GOING to NUCLEAR WAR with Korea before Christmas.  

ROCKET MAN is going to KILL DOTARD FOR US. I hope he aims a missile right at the WHITE HOUSE  
      December 9, 2019 9:45 AM MST

I have a minor quibble about WWI.

While it is true the fighting stopped because of an armistice on 11/11/18, the war did formally end with the Treaty of Versailles. That being said, there was still some regional skirmishes post-TOV and many wags at the the time despaired because they felt the TOV failed to settle fundamental issues which led to WWII.  So one can argue WWII was in some sense a continuation of WWI.
      December 9, 2019 8:39 PM MST

This is the reason why I hope the UK does not allow Julian Assange to be extradited to the US.
    Via Wikileaks, Assange was responsible for the leaking of information about US war crimes against civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    Australia has been guilty of similar crimes which its government also sought to suppress and hide.

Governments don't like admitting the truth when they've made mistakes, failed in their goals or done bad things.
    Many ordinary people are the same - denying that for which they are responsible and owe amends.
    Governments are composed of mostly very ordinary human beings.
    Elected office tends not to attract the best, brightest and most ethical types.

Democracy is probably the best of all the political systems - 
    but no system can ever match its own ideal.
    Possibly there is no system which can attain even a satisfactory level,
    and that's because all humans are flawed.

This post was edited by inky at December 9, 2019 7:02 PM MST
      December 9, 2019 7:01 PM MST

I am shocked and surprised that the US government lied about the costs and conduct of the Vietnam War...I mean the invasion of Grenada...I mean the "liberation" of Panama...I mean the First Persian Gulf War...I mean the Balkans peacekeeping campaign...I mean the invasion/occupation of Iraq...I mean the 20-year war in Afghanistan....

The way Americans keep falling for these military actions is reminiscent of the old Peanuts cartoons where Lucy promises to hold the football so Charlie Brown can kick it, only to pull it away at the last minute.

This repeated failure of the American polity to recognize what is being done in their name, even when it's the same scam that has been perpetrated on them several times before suggests at least one of the following is true:

A) Americans are really ignorant/stupid

B) Americans are really bigoted and find the blood/treasure spent on killing The Scary Brown People worthwhile

C) The American government gets involved in theses conflicts for its own reasons without giving a s**t what the American people want

This post was edited by SaltyPebble at December 9, 2019 8:56 PM MST
      December 9, 2019 8:54 PM MST