Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Someone tries to pick a fight with you, but doesn't know you are an expert in a martial art.

Someone tries to pick a fight with you, but doesn't know you are an expert in a martial art.

What do you do? Kick butt? Give a warning?

Posted - December 9, 2019

Responses

• I blow them a kiss and toss glitter in thier eye...then run!
      December 9, 2019 1:07 PM MST

Weird. That's how you picked me up.

December 9, 2019 1:13 PM MST

•   December 9, 2019 1:31 PM MST

Did you try and pick a fight with him?  I'm just asking to see if you two are still speaking to me.  It happens.  
      December 10, 2019 9:49 AM MST

Speaking? We are together under the same roof! lol

December 10, 2019 1:13 PM MST

Not you two, you two and me.  Because I was berating you for using kids pictures while talking about sex.  I have a hangup, I know.  There is something wrong with me.  
      December 10, 2019 1:22 PM MST

• There is absolutely nothing wrong with you sweetie.  You are a person of delightful idiosyncrasies and unfiltered honesty.  I appreciate those qualities.  I'm speaking for both Goat and Myself, we aren't in the least bit upset with you.  To the contrary we often get a big kick out of you.  Never ever stop being the Shar we know and love. 
      December 10, 2019 2:06 PM MST

Hi Twinkle!~ :)  You put a twinkle in my heart, every time I see you.
      Nice hat!!!  I LOVE IT!! :) :) :)

I would run interferrence if anyone tried to hit you. Even Brutus, from Popeye, would end up hitting his own face instead of yours.

You don't have to worry.  Running is still a good option, though.  I will be there but I'm old.  It might take me a moment to get there.  But I WILL be there!
    ;) :) :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at December 10, 2019 2:11 PM MST
      December 10, 2019 10:11 AM MST

• Thanx Merlin.  You're positively wonderful.
      December 10, 2019 2:11 PM MST

Standard training in every martial art that has evolved out of Buddhism:
    - do not allow oneself to be provoked - remain calm and fully aware
    - quietly shift into a stance that enables all possible responses
    (shoulders  and hips side-on to the potential assailant, feet wide apart, knees slightly bent, no clothing or baggage to obstruct, arms and hands hang loose and free),
    - remain passive until the other initiates a physical attack.

Some versions are more passive than others. Examples are Tai Chi and Aikido;
    they take the direction and energy of the attack of the other and redirect or deflect it.

Higher levels of martial arts - wu shu - teach how to observe the potential for violence and avoid it.
      December 9, 2019 1:08 PM MST

Talk is just noise. Threats should raise your attention, but nothing happens until a move is made toward you. Defend yourself, that is what the training teaches. 
    For me, my first defensive move would seek to quickly discourage any further assault. Making the would-be assailant look at me from flat on their back is usually sufficient. A second attempt would merit a stronger response, a harder landing, for instance.
    The response should be measured to the aggression. But don’t bring your fists to a gunfight.

Subdue the attack but give them the choice to withdraw. Having the skill to maim or kill is not carte blanche to do it. The street is not the Octogon.

December 9, 2019 3:24 PM MST

Actually martial arts is supposed to keep you out of a fight. Not turn to it as a first resort. If the arsehole won't listen to reason, then you kick his arse. This post was edited by Zack at December 10, 2019 9:35 AM MST
      December 9, 2019 3:57 PM MST

Exactly!!
      December 10, 2019 10:14 AM MST

I would paint a picture of the Sheriff of Dodge City ......:)D   
      December 9, 2019 4:05 PM MST

December 9, 2019 8:03 PM MST

I was actually thinking of him as I posted it....lol
      December 9, 2019 8:59 PM MST

Why is it ok for a gun fight at a Corral ? 
      December 9, 2019 9:01 PM MST

Well, an "expert" would have some sort of video evidence. Footage from sparring or a competitive fight, perhaps. Offer to show it to the person. It does happen quite often...people picking on the wrong guy to mess with.  
      December 11, 2019 5:18 PM MST