Discussion » Questions » Politics » Tories and Boris Johnson win a majority - WTF

Tories and Boris Johnson win a majority - WTF

Boris Johnson and the Tories won an astounding victory yesterday in the UK. The Apple Cart of the last 40 years has been truly upended since Brexit will be a reality.  I have many friends who are now in limbo with their residency, employment, and relationships alll in peril.

How did this happen?  My first thought is why did Labor choose Jeremy Corbyn to lead.  Why is it these days the Politicos are choosing the radicals on tails to lead instead of the centrists.

Posted - December 13, 2019

Responses

No problem with voting and voters. As long as they are citizens and are legally allowed to vote. 

I really do not know what the rest of that was. But Rep voted cor Civil rights. The first black Congress men were Republicans. 

The right to vote is not in the Constitution. Because elections are a right/power of the states.  This post was edited by my2cents at December 16, 2019 12:10 PM MST
      December 16, 2019 11:31 AM MST

• m2c, you know I'm not a Trump fan but I gotta tell ya...that button is funny.
      December 14, 2019 3:20 PM MST

The truth is always funny.  My 2 is not deplorable, but her convictions that Trump is a good guy are.  
      December 15, 2019 5:09 PM MST

December 13, 2019 5:30 PM MST

I think I smiled when I read that headline.
      December 13, 2019 6:19 PM MST

That is what the Germans said.  When Hitler took over. They smiled and smiled until they stopped smiling.  Hope you stop smiling soon before we are all NOT smiling for good.  Thanks a lot.  
      December 13, 2019 6:26 PM MST

I am not familiar enough with British politics to make in-depth pronouncements about why this election went the way it did, but my impression is that the political left (loosely defined) in the UK has a similar set of problems as the political left (loosely defined) in the United States.

While there is substantial evidence (at least in the US) that individual "leftist" policies (e.g. universal health care) are popular, advocates for those policies do a poor and inconsistent job of selling a coherent message around those policies. Instead, they tend to assume that the electorate will see that left-ish policies are the best and vote in their self-interest for those policies. It doesn't work.

This has been dramatically highlighted by the Trump administration era. I cannot count how many Trump supporters I've seen interviewed (print, radio, and video) who don't know what Trump's policies are, don't care what Trump's policies are, would oppose Trump's polices (e.g. annual trillion dollar budget deficits) if a Stupid Evil Commie Democrap implemented the exact same policies, or outright think Trump's policies stink...but love him anyway.

Exactly what the political right has sold to the electorate to get them to behave this way is a complicated subject, but selling the political right has done. 

It's up to the political left to figure out how to compete in the marketplace for voter support.
      December 13, 2019 9:19 PM MST

Its Loony Left that English people refer to our Labour Party as,not loosely ...Tony Blair was arrested in a Public Gents toilet by our police for committing homosexual  sex acts on a man ....He was got of with a £500 fine and prosecuted under his full name at Bow street Court....Normally it would have been a prison sentence :(
      December 15, 2019 5:41 PM MST

NJ -- I think that sort of lunacy occurs all over the political spectrum.

In the United States, there was Republican Senator Larry ("I am not gay...I never have been gay") Craig being arrested for soliciting male prostitution at an airport, while the 2016 Presidential election may have been shifted by FBI director James Comey announcing he was investigating Hilary Clinton (AGAIN!) because HRC's campaign manager's husband had posted "selfies" of his gonads to various women. This post was edited by SaltyPebble at December 16, 2019 9:44 AM MST
      December 16, 2019 6:49 AM MST

I dread to think about the real number of sexual perverts hiding in our Royal family, those elected into all parties in local and main government.
    There are perverts in all echelon of our police and military and more so within all religious institutions...
    Its still rife in care homes for the young and mentally disable ...
    I think perverts pick out these type of positions as they know there is little chance of capture...
    Lets not forget Harvey Weinstein.   We hear nothing more about him now in England 
    I often wonder who will be the next famous person to be outed...
      December 16, 2019 10:05 AM MST

Very true, and disturbing, no one wants to admit you have paedophiles and perverts running the country.
      December 16, 2019 10:24 AM MST

It exists mostlikely because their very special has so many powerful members occuping very high up positions...  
    With friends in high places they have carte balance to do exactly what they want..
      December 16, 2019 11:57 AM MST