Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » If the Dealer admits rigging the deck do you play the game anyway because you're a compulsive gambler and it's the only game in town?

If the Dealer admits rigging the deck do you play the game anyway because you're a compulsive gambler and it's the only game in town?

Posted - December 14, 2019

Responses

I don't gamble so I'm not worried about it. :)
      December 14, 2019 12:08 PM MST

Thank you for your reply ru and Happy Sunday to you! :)
      December 15, 2019 1:44 AM MST

I suspect your question is meant to be metaphoric, but I'm going to answer literally.

Based on my understanding of gambling addiction, the answer is "Yes."

People addicted to gambling are not addicted only to "fair" games of chance, or situations where they have an advantage (e.g. if they are good at poker or can count cards for blackjack). They are addicted to the action. It's the putting the money on the line and getting that surge of dopamine in the nucleus acumbens as the game of chance plays out that keeps them coming back for more.

If a rigged game is the only game in town, then a gambling addict will still play. There's no other "fix" which will satisfy the craving.

How this pertains to the metaphoric meaning of your question, I have no idea...
      December 14, 2019 1:29 PM MST

Like a kleptomaniac or a hoarder. The compulsion rules even though despite and in spite of the outcome. I think there is always the belief they will win. I'm not sure why some folks are so susceptible to being addicted while others are not. I love to gamble but I also have an internal brake that would never let me gamble more than I can afford lose. I think it's a form of "madness" that drives folks who do get into debt and lose homes and marriages. So once again I'm again ask. Thank you for your thoughtful reply SP and Happy Sunday to thee! :)
      December 15, 2019 1:51 AM MST

Yes, most addicts (regardless of what they are addicted to) are aware that their behavior is not life-optimizing. But the compulsion to activate the reward circuitry of the brain can overwhelm any rational considerations.

Curiously, there are certain medications (particularly for the treatment of Parkinsonism) where a small but significant number of people who take them become gambling addicts. This is further evidence that addictions are not so much an issue of character or morals, but a problem of dysfunctional brain chemistry.
      December 15, 2019 7:21 AM MST

Well then that sounds VERY PROMISING doesn't it? Invent a pill to restore balance to the brain chemistry! How hard could that be? Thank you for your thoughtful and information reply SP! :)
      December 15, 2019 8:15 AM MST

Curiously, there is some evidence psychedelic mushrooms and similar drugs can actually "reset" the addiction mechanisms and end people's craving for things like nicotine and heroin.

The human brain/mind is an endless source of wonder...
      December 15, 2019 8:40 AM MST