Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I think a GOOD "leader" should have the ability to relate to others and have some sympathy or empathy. Do you think so too?

I think a GOOD "leader" should have the ability to relate to others and have some sympathy or empathy. Do you think so too?

Posted - December 16, 2019

Responses

I agree.   A good leader needs to understand that those he/she leads are human beings like themselves.  They have their ups and downs, good days and bad, strength and weaknesses.  Being unable to or refusing to understand (show empathy/sympathy) the people one leads makes them seem cold and callous towards those very people. No one likes a serving a heartless leader.  When one has bad leaders, productivity goes down while dissention goes up.  This leads to rebellion.  The result of a rebellion is either the leader is ousted or the rebellion is crushed mercilessly … which can lead to even more dissention, and more rebellion.

December 16, 2019 12:46 PM MST

We know you don't have to have been POOR to be able to want to do things or poor people. FDR was a privileged elite and look at all the good he did for we the people. You have to have a heart and a conscience and a caring. There is no pricetag on that. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      December 17, 2019 6:30 AM MST

• A leader needs an understanding of human nature as it pertains to accomplishing the task at hand. Leadership is not a popularity contest, especially where the stakes are high. Actual hands on leadership requires organizational and administrative skills and the ability to bring elements of the mission into a coordinated, disciplined focus on what the goals are and achieving said goals. Similar to what the American military once was before political correctness destroyed morale and esprit de corps. If people want empathy and sympathy, let them meet with a psychologist weekly. Practical, realistic leadership recognizes the need to understand both talents and imperfections but in doing so, the standards should not be lowered.
      December 16, 2019 1:15 PM MST

I disagree with every word you wrote. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to thee HG.
      December 17, 2019 6:46 AM MST