Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » Have you seen The Irishman and are you man/woman enough to admit it is a boring piece of trash?

Have you seen The Irishman and are you man/woman enough to admit it is a boring piece of trash?

Seriously.  This movie is bad.  Boring, slow, derivative, and formulaic. A movie that has been made ten times over and is nothing  more than a glorified reunion show of  geriatric hand-held iconic the genera.

This movie blows.

Posted - December 19, 2019

Responses

I'm giggling.  After your review, I certainly won't be wasting over an hour of my life watching "The Irishman!"  ;) :)
      December 19, 2019 10:53 PM MST

• Its over 3 hours
      December 19, 2019 11:16 PM MST

Strike 3!! 3 hours?  Does it have an intermission?
      December 19, 2019 11:18 PM MST

• Skip the first hour and a half.   It isn't important to the film in any real way.
      December 20, 2019 12:12 PM MST

I did see it.  I didn't come away with the same opinion as you did.  Yes, it was long, but I didn't find it boring.  The performances by Pesci, Pacino and to a bit lesser extent, DeNiro, were stellar.  I'm not much of a movie person, so other than Goodfellas, I have't seen any films in the same genre.  
      December 20, 2019 10:36 AM MST

• I respect your opinion.  It just seemed too much like trying to be another Goodgellas.  The first hour and half was basically pointless. Of one doesn't have nostalgia for either the talents , the times involved, or the genera I don't see it as offering much.
      December 20, 2019 12:11 PM MST

We can certainly agree to disagree. :)  Yes, it is reminiscent of Goodfellas, but I didn't like Goodfellas at all.  The violence level was higher in that film.  In The Irishman, it wasn't as graphic.  I can see how some would not like the movie.
      December 20, 2019 3:26 PM MST

Didn't think it was slow or boring. Derivative, perhaps. We get a lot of stock characters and situations that are familiar from other gangster movies, and it could be said to be following a Scorsese formula in the use of voiceovers and flashbacks.

And of course other films have been made about Mob influence in unions, e.g. Blue Collar and On The Waterfront. The Irishman, in that context, isn't doing anything very ambitious, in that it doesn't tell us much about union politics that we don't already know, nor does it give us any indication of how organised crime and power struggles impact on ordinary working-class people.

However, I felt it had very high production values, nothing felt redundant, the characters were powerful and compelling if not likeable, the digital de-aging worked a lot better than I expected, and I liked the few scenes towards the end - the way Sheeran is forced to deal with his own moral confusion about what he has done, and the fact that he has lived a worthless life. No redemption or reconcilliation for him, just a slide into emptiness. 

So it's one of my favourite films of the year but perhaps not number one.
      December 20, 2019 12:32 PM MST

I agree with your comments, especially the ones about the end of the movie.  
      December 20, 2019 3:28 PM MST

• Just like the ending of  Goodfellas
      December 20, 2019 4:00 PM MST