Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Education » Those of you who went to college, do you remember the names of any of your professors?

Those of you who went to college, do you remember the names of any of your professors?

Posted - December 22, 2019

Responses

• I remember some of them, yep, especially the professors I had for more than one class. In one instance I went so far as to get a drink with a professor (these are the ones who wrote letters of rec for grad school). Others I can remember their faces but can't recall the names. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 23, 2019 8:08 PM MST
      December 22, 2019 7:24 PM MST

Very good...how about the language question I just asked. You are the expert.
      December 22, 2019 7:30 PM MST

Dr. John R. Hendrickson, Marine Ecology and Donald R. Thompson, Ichthyology.
      December 22, 2019 9:49 PM MST

I couldn't help myself...

December 23, 2019 1:51 PM MST

Yassir...i recall several of them. How old do you think I am? LOL
      December 22, 2019 10:01 PM MST

Dr Victoria Balabanski. Used to chew me out for getting my ancient Greek grammar wrong.

Dr Norman Habel. Looked like Santa Claus. Very funny guy. Taught Old Testament prophets, claimed that any subject at all could be found in the OT.
    Being me, I had to challenge that - "Motor racing.".
    Dr Habel's reply - "Moses crossed the desert on his Triumph!"

Dr Michael Trainor. Taught exegesis, his favourite line was "suspect the text!"
      December 22, 2019 10:10 PM MST

I had a chemistry prof, Andy Jorgenson who looked like Santa.
      December 23, 2019 1:52 PM MST

All of them;
    their names, faces, their mannerisms, the sounds of their voices,
    the particular things they said that struck me and changed my thinking,
    any titbits of their personal lives and character that they happened to drop,
    and details of their professional history.

I tend to worship most of my teachers.

This post was edited by inky at December 23, 2019 4:26 PM MST
      December 23, 2019 7:10 AM MST

Excellent. I only remember a handful. I wonder if any of my students will remember me.
      December 23, 2019 1:56 PM MST

I imagine most of them would remember your demonstrations of bombs and exothermic reactions -
    and the memory of you would be associated with those explosions.

I also think the students who loved science would be incapable of forgetting you. They love learning and therefore love the ones who help them learn. And you're the one who helped turn them on to their favourite subject.

I'm sure you've had at least a sprinkling of students who've managed to track you down and say thank you.

I think most teachers don't hear back from most students, but it's doesn't mean they failed as teachers.
    Rather, people tend to take teaching for granted. He or she was paid to do it: it was just a job, nothing more.
    Or they're distracted by the challenges of life and don't have time to think back and reflect.
    Some people (many) just have poor memories; they remember only the skills they were taught that they use almost every day
    and very little else. This problem has worsened since we've come to rely on databases to be our memories. Sad.

December 23, 2019 3:01 PM MST

I have run into few of them over the years since...usually working in a local store. It was good to see them.
      December 23, 2019 3:14 PM MST

I actually went to a local community college on a state grant. It was a 3 month long course. The head of the department, and occasional instructor, was killed in a car-motorcycle accident one day during my time there.
      December 23, 2019 8:34 AM MST

I remember but I don't care that I remember.  
      December 23, 2019 1:59 PM MST

That strikes me as odd.
    My memories have intense resonance and meaning for me.
    My past is a big part of what I have become, regardless of whether it was the good things or the ones I had to overcome.
      December 23, 2019 3:14 PM MST

I remember a teacher that we called "Tank" in elementary school.  She was a Catholic nun and large in both scope and size. I don't remember her given name.

I remember actual names of a number of teachers and professors starting with 10th grade and through graduate school.

This question took me on a pleasant stroll through memory lane.
      December 23, 2019 2:54 PM MST

A...Sister Mary Elephant. (Cheech and Chong) I am glad I brightened your day a bit.
      December 23, 2019 3:16 PM MST

I usally play Sister Mary Elephant at the annual Cannabis Growers Ball - I also do that one were a guy says - push the car get your mama to push the car. Cheers!
      December 23, 2019 3:57 PM MST

I remember all of them but not all of their names.  I remember all of my profs in law school, along with most of their names. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at December 24, 2019 5:05 PM MST
      December 23, 2019 4:11 PM MST