Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » When I am getting old and senile what are some things I SHOULD do or SHOULD NOT do to make people think I am NOT getting old and senile?

When I am getting old and senile what are some things I SHOULD do or SHOULD NOT do to make people think I am NOT getting old and senile?

I am 74 YO now. Old is OK actually but I don't want people to think i am getting senile too.

Posted - December 28, 2019

Responses

I think senility is most emphasized in cases of noticeably irregular behavior. It is difficult to define what “irregular” is, and some people attach anything to senility when it comes to our senior citizens. It seems to me that older folks who harbor negative attitudes are frequent targets of such a label. 

We should be about what things we can control, like refraining from rambling on at every turn about the “good ol’ days” or wearing badly outdated attire. I think it is important to keep the mind sharp, and stay as current as one can on modern life and culture, and consciously provide a positive example of being an elder in this world. I also believe the ability to impart relevant, sober wisdom at the right moments is a privilege of mounting years and experience, but not in the form of a bitter screed, and not just dropping advice “out of the blue”.  Again, not seeming ‘irregular’.   

It must be said that as I get older, I am much less self-conscious than in my younger days, but I‘m sure letting that go too far would hint that senility is drawing near, at least in the eyes of some. That’s what it really is about, how we present ourselves, isn’t it? 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at December 28, 2019 11:20 AM MST
      December 28, 2019 5:59 AM MST

Yes taking care of one's self is a priority,  I think I am still pretty good at that.
      December 28, 2019 6:08 AM MST

I'm the same age as you are.  I think keeping up with what's going on in the world and in society in general is a good thing,  I may not like some of the music that's out there, but I know what it is and, sometimes, who's making the music.  It's easy for me because I have so many young nieces and nephews that it's hard NOT to keep up.  We need to try and remember that we grew up in an entirely different world from them and except for basic manners and morals, they are facing challenges we may not have had to face.  
      December 28, 2019 8:35 AM MST

Being here helps. It keeps your brain active.
      December 28, 2019 11:09 AM MST

That's true. 
      December 28, 2019 2:06 PM MST

Come and speak about the good ole days to me anytime, I absolutely love listening to older people (I'm in my forties so not sure where I qualify along the age spectrum), they are far more interesting than most, and have seen and lived through things that we haven't. I've sat an listened to world war two spitfire pilots and veterans who are in their late 90's, they have more wisdom than anyone else I've met, the secret to their youth? They still exercise everyday, they laugh a lot,  still keep their minds active, and are involved in their community.

This post was edited by kjames at December 28, 2019 6:05 PM MST
      December 28, 2019 3:44 PM MST

The obvious.  You won't care.  So the question is moot.
      December 28, 2019 4:06 PM MST

Tune in to your secret Self...
    tis the elixir of Life
      December 28, 2019 4:50 PM MST