Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Unless you're a New Yorker wouldja really wanna be among the million or so at Times Square? Where wouldja wanna be and where will ya be?

Unless you're a New Yorker wouldja really wanna be among the million or so at Times Square? Where wouldja wanna be and where will ya be?

Posted - December 31, 2019

Responses

I don't think there are very many New Yorkers in Times Square with a million others.  Mostly, it's tourists and they are welcome to the territory.  There are so many restrictions to being there that it's nuts.  Happy New Year's Eve. :)
      December 31, 2019 11:50 AM MST

Oh so it's visitors to THE BIG APPLE that congregate there? Have you ever been there on New Year's Eve L? I love watching the countdown as the crystal balls descends or whatever it is. It's TRADITION just as watching the Rose Parade in California is TRADITION. I just don't do well in crowds. I get claustrophobic or something. Thank you for your reply and Happy New Year's Wednesday to you sweetie! :) ((hugs))
      January 1, 2020 1:15 AM MST

I would say most of the people there are tourists with some natives thrown in. :)  I don't do well in crowds either.  I think they estimated there wee 1.5 million people there last night.  It has become very restrictive since 9/11 - no backpacks, no umbrellas, once you are in the penned in area, if you leave, you can't get back in.  Heaven only knows how some of these people who have sat there from the afternoon manage to stay there for so long without bathroom facilities.  There's hardly enough room to breathe.  Not for me.  I'll watch it on TV in my PJs with the bathroom close by and food in the fridge. :)
      January 1, 2020 8:24 AM MST

I like being at home to ring in the New Year. Thought I would add my New Year tradition. On New Years Eve I put a plate with a couple slices of bread and a bit of money outside then on New Years day I bring it back in the house and it represents bringing food and money into the home in the New Year. Cheers and Happy New Year! This post was edited by Nanoose at January 1, 2020 8:25 AM MST
      December 31, 2019 11:56 AM MST

That is really nifty Nanoose and thank you for sharing your tradition with us. Does it work? Happy New Year's Wednesday 2020 to you! :)
      January 1, 2020 1:16 AM MST

Nice tradition - sort of like leaving cookies and milk for Santa. :)  Happy New Year, Nanoose.  
      January 1, 2020 8:25 AM MST

At home...asleep by nine.
      December 31, 2019 1:42 PM MST

We WERE sleeping E and then about 10:30 pm it started. BOOM   BOOM BOOM BOOM! So we got up and looked out and saw some beautiful fireworks. We're usually sound asleep too but this year it was VERY NOISY! Thank you for your reply and Happy New Year's Wedneday 2020 to thee and thine! :)
      January 1, 2020 1:17 AM MST

I took a nap, so I was able to stay up. :)  In fact, I took such a good nap, I couldn't go back to sleep until about 2 AM!  Happy New Year!
      January 1, 2020 8:26 AM MST

I wouldn't even wanna be there ... or anywhere in NYC ... any other time of year.
    No offence to anyone from NYC.  I just am not comfortable with any city larger than 50k people.  lol
      December 31, 2019 3:00 PM MST

I can't breathe in crowds so I avoid them. But watching the crystal ball drop in Times Square on TV each year is an American Tradition as is watching the Rose Parade. I'm gonna ask about other national traditions too Walt! Thank you for your reply and Happy New Year's Wednesday 2020 to you and yours! :)
      January 1, 2020 1:19 AM MST

I think that we have more than 50,000 people in any given borough of NYC.  I do understand that if you live in a small-ish town, NYC would seem overwhelming, but you have to admit that we have a lot of terrific things to do and see here.  Happy New Year, Walt.
      January 1, 2020 8:28 AM MST

No doubt about that.
    I'm just too much of an introvert.  lol
      January 1, 2020 8:44 AM MST

That's unfortunate because you'd miss a lot of good things. :)
      January 1, 2020 8:55 AM MST

I cannot even imagine wanting to do that. WHY?  What is it that you want to see? A bunch of people smashed together for no reason?

BORING.  

I am happy to be right where I am.  I will be home.  I will be alone.  I will watch some tv and do my own thing.  Then I go back to work the next day.  Thrills and spills.  
      December 31, 2019 3:39 PM MST

I think watching the crystal ball drop in Times Square is a national tradition Sharon as it watching the Rose Parade. There may be others about which I shall ask. Thank you for your reply! :)
      January 1, 2020 1:20 AM MST

I agree with you - that's what I did.  Who wants to be cheek-by-jowl with a million and a half strangers?  Happy New Year, Sharon.
      January 1, 2020 8:29 AM MST

No I would not like to be there!  I can barely handle being around a handful of people without having a major anxiety attack.  

I'll be at home, in bed.  I'd like to say I'll be asleep, but that's not going to happen.  At exactly 12:00:03, this town will sound like a war zone for at least 5 minutes.  With all the guns, firecrackers, and M-80's going off, along with all the yelling (which sets off every dog within a 10 mile radius of this place), ain't nobody gonna to be asleep.
      December 31, 2019 3:51 PM MST

We were awakened about 10:30 pm by BOOM  BOOM BOOM Boom so up we got and watched some fireworks which were going on in a local park I guess. Now we're awake so it's the first time in years we saw in the new year! Thank you for your reply Shuhak and Happy New Year's Wednesday to you and your family! :)
      January 1, 2020 1:22 AM MST

I decided to stay up (for the first time in years) as well.  Happy New Year to you as well.  
      January 1, 2020 9:41 AM MST

I don't suffer from anxiety, but I can see how being around that many people would bring on an attack.  Happy New Year, Shuhak.
      January 1, 2020 8:30 AM MST