Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Electronics » Do you know of anyone who cannot use earbuds because of how their ears are made?

Do you know of anyone who cannot use earbuds because of how their ears are made?

Earbuds never stay in my ears for more than a few seconds, especially when I try to use them while walking, running, exercising, and/or I start sweating, etc.  The same goes for any type of headphones that are partially inserted in the ears with no other support. I can only use headphones that have some type of looping feature that goes completely around the lobes 360 degrees. If it’s an open loop, those fall out too. 

Posted - January 6, 2020

Responses

Like you, I cannot use earbuds - they fall out unless they are shoved so far in that they're uncomfortable.  I don't like anything covering my ears either, such as headphones.  Just doesn't feel comfortable not being able to hear what's going on around me.
      January 6, 2020 6:55 AM MST

Balance and being aware are two things I definitely hear from your writing.  No earbuds, earphones, earmugs, are beer-holding hats to cover your ability to act, if need be.
    It is who you are, SpunkySenior.
    You are an amazingly astute person.  I do believe it to be a character trait that is admirable and not something you would compromise.
    :) :)
      January 6, 2020 10:35 AM MST

I was diagnosed with vertigo about a year ago, so having earbuds in my ears would affect that, too.  Thank you for the lovely compliment.  I try very hard not to compromise who and what I am. :)
      January 6, 2020 3:58 PM MST

That would be me.  Thank you for posting the image and information.  This post was edited by . at January 6, 2020 7:00 PM MST
      January 6, 2020 8:45 AM MST

I think I have the same deal.  I never realized that they just never stay in.  I thought it was me putting them in wrong.
      January 6, 2020 8:47 AM MST

I'd like to take a look at your ears...close up...just for the fun of it.  :  )
      January 6, 2020 8:48 AM MST

I would like to think our ears were made with all the same compartments. 
    I know I only like certain things in my ears at certain times.  I have tried to use earbuds jogging. I jogged them out.  I'm not sure if it is my ear style or how I put them in.  I've tried different sizes and buds and foamy things, once.
    I'm not really sure if it is because of my ear style or my brain is smart enough to tell me not to put things like them that would hurt the drum that connects to my brain.
    I hear they are terrible for your brain and actually stress your ears.  
    It blows my mind when I walk through an airport and see/hear someone with earbuds loud enough for me to hear.
    My common sense tells me not to put things in holes in your body unless they are meant to be there. 
    Sticking things in my ear, whether it is able to take it or not, just doesn't seem smart. This post was edited by Merlin at January 6, 2020 7:25 PM MST
      January 6, 2020 10:53 AM MST

They may have the same compartments, but the compartments are shaped differently.  Like the nose. Like the mouth.  

They need to do something else besides that bud.  They need something more sticky. LOL

Ok ok  I got it.  Ear Bud GLUE... I am going on Shark Tank, I got a winner.  It sticks to the bud and peels off your ear and the bud when you take them off.   You could do something that would be beneficial to the ear (like wax, but doesn't melt) and kind of like a sticky sillicone.  I am sure those people in Silicone Valley could invent something, no? 

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 6, 2020 7:26 PM MST
      January 6, 2020 10:57 AM MST

Ok ok  I got it.  Ear Bud GLUE... I am going on Shark Tank, I got a winner.  It sticks to the bud and peels off your ear and the bud when you take them off.   You could do something that would be beneficial to the ear (like wax, but doesn't melt) and kind of like a sticky sillicone.  I am sure those people in Silicone Valley could invent something, no? 

this is my answer.   I got it while chatting with the Merlin.  
      January 6, 2020 11:00 AM MST

Years ago, I took a motorcycle trip with a group. I decided to bring a cassette player with 'earbuds'. By the end of the day, my ears were kinda buzzy and uncomfortable. I never wore anything in my ears again.
      January 6, 2020 11:00 AM MST

I do not like earbuds or anything on my ears. 
    I used to use headphones but I would just hang them on my neck and turn it up. So I could still be aware of my surroundings and I like the sound better not directly on my ears. 
      February 15, 2020 6:09 AM MST