Active Now

Swoop62
Element 99
Thebigd
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » What do you think is the best option when a person wants to try make a living using their creative talents?...

What do you think is the best option when a person wants to try make a living using their creative talents?...

Eg. painter, poet, writer, musician, singer sculptor. ..etc.

Posted - January 7, 2020

Responses

Musician. You also need a lot of luck.
      January 7, 2020 12:32 AM MST

Rule Number 1:  Steer clear of AnswerMug.  VERY clear of AnswerMug.

January 7, 2020 12:50 AM MST

Whatever creative form that best plays to their talents, and preferably, the one they most enjoy. There is no trade off for doing what we love. 

Being of a practical mind, I suggest that creativity is best in pursuits that benefit everyone; inventor comes to mind. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at January 8, 2020 7:09 PM MST
      January 7, 2020 4:39 AM MST

This may sound like an easy out but I mean it.
    Whatever makes you happy, you will be successful.  You're only here for a short time.

I like them all very much.  I encourage you to spend time doing as what you enjoy.  Your heart and soul will benefit, immensely. 
    :) :) 
      January 7, 2020 10:04 AM MST

Difficult.
    With rare exceptions, most cultures in most parts of the world do not pay well for art.
    Therefore, to make a living at it, one has to excel.

There's a common joke - "I don't know much about art but I know what I like." It's worth thinking long and hard about why it's a joke.
    What makes art art actually has very little to do with taste.

Aim to develop exceptionally high technical or craft skills. To achieve this requires around 10-hours practice per day for a minimum of 10 years, and never ceasing to practise and improve.
    Know the field thoroughly; allow influence from the greats but never plagiarise; avoid gimmickry, aim for meaningful originality.
    Be free with emotional expression, depth of insight, and showing the truth of the human condition and the life of this planet.

Be aware of the existence of politics in all fields of the arts. It is unavoidable. Be honest with oneself as to whether one has what it takes to diplomatically negotiate this minefield. Patronage and promotion are inextricably locked up in the politics. Always have been, always will be. You have to look at the background of the art scene, see who's doing the promoting, where the money's going and why, to work out what's really going on.

In the meantime, one must have some means of surviving. Teaching in one's area of the arts is one of the most common - but it is time-consuming and emotionally draining. It's often far easier to have menial part-time job like barista or cleaner - just barely enough to make ends meet. This leaves time to make or practice the art, and to get the work out to its audience.

Most artists are poor businessmen. The temperament that makes good art possible is the opposite of what's needed to sell it. But if the standard of the work is high enough, it will not be hard to find a good agent.

This post was edited by inky at January 8, 2020 3:49 PM MST
      January 8, 2020 10:29 AM MST

"Most artists are poor business people". Too trusting sometimes perhaps. I know one lady who did well with her paintings but got scammed a couple of times by letting someone take some of her works to an art show then never heard from the person again. 
    She told me about one time an elderly gal commissioned her to do the lady's portrait. While doing the painting she decided to add a budgie bird into the picture. When time came to reveal the finished product she was a little worried the lady might not like the bird in there. But the lady exclaimed "that bird is an exact likeness of the budgie I owned some years ago! !"
      January 8, 2020 11:51 AM MST

Thanks for the pick, Kitty.

Too trusting. Yes. I had that experience very early.
    Was commissioned to do a portrait of a man's Dalmation dog. When it was done he loved it but refused to pay the agreed price or give the portrait back. At the time, I really needed that money and was very angry. Art materials are hideously expensive. Yet there were no local police and so absolutely nothing I could do about it.

But I meant being poor at business in a much broader way. 
    It's OK for an artist to state the facts of their achievements - such as one would find in a CV, or to advertise an upcoming event with the date, time, place and nature of the work. But it's not OK for an artist to boast about the quality, originality and significance of their work. Someone else has to do that for them.
    If a writer decides to self-publish, which is commonplace and acceptable these days, he or she has to give up writing and go on the road to festivals and bookshops to sell the work. Selling online is notoriously disastrous, especially via rip-off companies like Amazon. It's enormously hard work and rarely repays the cost of the print-run, let alone the time it took to write the book. If a writer has a good agent or publisher, all that work is done for them; they're free to get on with writing.
    Painters and sculptors rarely have a social network that enables them to sell to art patrons and investors. Selling to friends and acquaintances has drawbacks. There's a limit to how many artworks an average person has space for - and no friend or relative wants to feel obliged to buy - especially if they don't like the work. To make a living artists need to sell to collectors, public galleries, architects, interior designers, public commissions and so on - as well as winning competitions, and getting grants and fellowships. They need to have their work reviewed by art critics in newspapers and trade journals. And as they progress, they need to be included in the history of art by art historians. This last guarantees the value of their work. They've finally arrived at being able to earn a living.
    Musicians often fair a bit better. The members of a symphony orchestra in a major city can often get by on their wages. Many people love live music played locally, and many will buy CD's when they're at a performance. I know of several who can make a living solely from busking. But if a musician wants a high standard of living, they will need to be way above competent, have an agent to promote them and be willing to spend most of their time travelling.

This post was edited by inky at January 8, 2020 4:27 PM MST
      January 8, 2020 4:02 PM MST

Yeah.. making a living producing and selling one's artworks is a complex and interesting kind of business. 
      January 8, 2020 4:26 PM MST

Do it with your whole heart and Soul
      January 10, 2020 10:45 AM MST