Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is it true that more police officers die due to suicide than die in the line of duty? Why?

Is it true that more police officers die due to suicide than die in the line of duty? Why?

Posted - January 7, 2020

Responses

167 officers died from suicide in 2018:
    https://bluehelp.org/158-american-police-officers-died-by-suicide-in-2018/

55 were killed by assault, and 51 by accident:
    https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/fbi-releases-2018-statistics-on-law-enforcement-officers-killed-in-the-line-of-duty

As to the reasons ... PTSD or frustration with the job, are the main two I'm aware of.
    PTSD is especially common among police who transferred from military service.
    I know a couple officers in different agencies, who retired with less than 2 months before their full-benefit retirement date ... just because they were so frustrated with arresting the same people over and over, with no justice to the victims, that they said it wasn't worth staying even for the little time remaining.  They no longer felt they were making a difference, for the community.
      January 7, 2020 7:46 AM MST

Being a cop can eat people up I guess. Just like being a military vet. Thankless jobs for which the rewards just ain't worth it. Sad that. Thank you for your helpful reply Walt. My uncle was a cop in Detroit once upon a time. He never talked about it. He moved out to California after my folks did and got a job in an INSURANCE COMPANY of all things..which he retired from. Had he stayed he mighta died in Detroit. I dunno. We NEED folks to inforce the laws but sometimes the enforcers are worse than the lawbreakers.  I have no idea what the solution to that could possibly be. :( This post was edited by RosieG at January 7, 2020 12:51 PM MST
      January 7, 2020 12:51 PM MST

Hello Rosie:

Cops SAY they're cops to help people.  Truth is, they're cops to BUST people..  If I were that crappy, I'd off myself too.

excon
      January 7, 2020 9:58 AM MST

Hi there m'dear. I'm not a gun person. I've always thought those who were attracted to jobs where they could LEGALLY carry guns and shoot people DEAD were not my cuppa tea. At all. For any reason. Now that also involves those who go into the military. Would YOU want your entire life to revolve around taking people down and out and possibly killing them? It takes a "speshul" kinda person. I have no doubt some may want to help others. But once in the system people change. That SOB SEAL Gallagher that dumb don pardoned for his war crimes? He should have been imprisoned for the rest of his life but now he gets to be a celebrity that dumb don will dangle around during his fight to stay prez in 2020! Disgusting! Sigh. Thank you for your reply excon and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine. Hope 2020 is your best year ever! ((hugs))
      January 7, 2020 12:56 PM MST