Active Now

Slartibartfast
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Music » Have you ever heard this before? A newer rendition of a Simon and Garfunkel classic. I heard it on the radio today and it blew me away.

Have you ever heard this before? A newer rendition of a Simon and Garfunkel classic. I heard it on the radio today and it blew me away.

Posted - January 7, 2020

Responses

I have now...
    Pretty Cool
      January 7, 2020 5:12 PM MST

Better than the original...to me. Very powerful.
      January 7, 2020 5:13 PM MST

• I have heard it and people have been making quite a fuss over it for some time now but I don't care for it much.  I still prefer Simon and Garfunkel performing the vocal for the song but I do like this remix by Matt Pop which I've posted much better than their own original production.  The appeal of varying art forms is always subjective it all comes down to what style speaks to you.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 10, 2020 7:47 AM MST
      January 7, 2020 5:23 PM MST

I grew up with S&G. Two of the best.
      January 7, 2020 5:25 PM MST

• Might I commend you though for sharing this with everyone.  It is definitely worthy of a listen.
      January 7, 2020 5:29 PM MST

Thanks, bro.
      January 7, 2020 5:31 PM MST

I think they made it too dark.
      January 7, 2020 5:45 PM MST

First the good.
    The graphics and imagery are stunning. I truly enjoyed what I was seeing. Especially with dude, kneeling on the ground, penning notes on parchment. The black and white cinematography is hypnotic.

Now for the bad...
    My first inclination was to turn this off after the vocal began but with respect to my sweetie, Twinkles and to demonstrate some level of tolerance, I chose to give this a chance.
    So I sat, I sat, or rather I endured the entire 4:08 minutes of it. I absolutely hate this.
    I do not like the band Disturbed.
    I despise the vocals and growling and the grunting and whatever else that was. I am from New Hampshire and David Draiman's vocals remind me of the sound of a rutting moose. 
    This feels like corporate Rock&Roll at it's laziest, chewing up a timeless classic and spitting it out, accompanying it with fancy-schmancy CGI.  
    Everything about this music makes me want to crawl under my bed in a fetal position and hide. 
    I hope to never hear this again.

But this... I believe this does the song justice. The artist, Emiliana Torrini captures the essence of the song in a sincerely honest interpretation.  

This post was edited by Jon at January 10, 2020 7:48 AM MST
      January 7, 2020 6:12 PM MST

• I agree with Shuhak above.  Its a little too dark. 
    That's why I think everyone should indulge in the "glitter & fluff"
    of Bananarama offering their rendition.  I love these old broads.  LOL!

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 7, 2020 6:46 PM MST
      January 7, 2020 6:20 PM MST

Respect to the old broads
      January 7, 2020 6:41 PM MST

Those don't look like the original singers. I know they've gone through personnel changes over the years.
    :)
    But maybe they are - - I have no idea. I just know I really like the original trio.
      January 7, 2020 6:46 PM MST

• Those are two of the original group members, Sara Dallin and Keren Woodward.  Siobhan Fahey left quite some years ago and was part of the group Shakespeare's Sister.  She did return for a brief reunion tour a couple of years ago.  The majority of the band's years have been as a duo.

January 7, 2020 7:55 PM MST

Thank you so MUCH, Twinkle Dink!! I didn't know the details at all like you do! I see the resemblance more in the image you posted here. And wouldn't you know that I always sort of favored Siobhan, ha! :)
    I know I've heard of music by Shakespeare's Sister but the specifics leave me at the moment.

I like Bananarama's music a lot and I enjoy their, to me, spirit of fun and their seemingly not taking themselves overly seriously - - they always look they're having a blast and I enjoy that.

And I equate so much of it with the original trio. But I like the cover of Sound of Silence you posted.
    And I'm inspired to, yet, again, post my favorite song of theirs that I've heard --  "Cheers Then." I know we've talked about the song before Twinkle Dink (and probably Element 99 and the entire site, ha!). And I've posted the video a lot - - I love it, too.

Be Well!

Thanks for being such a supportive and encouraging friend!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at January 8, 2020 10:42 AM MST
      January 8, 2020 8:50 AM MST

• Always a classic of theirs.
      January 8, 2020 10:42 AM MST

I agree.
    Though, I admit, I've never heard this song ever played on the radio or anything. I first heard it on one of their greatest hits collections.

This song just so wondrously sinks into me. I just sit back, every time, and let it take me away.
      January 8, 2020 8:47 PM MST

I'm too tired again to go into detail.

But I have heard this version of the song a lot. 

Sorry, again. Want to say more but just not into it (haven't even eaten supper) - - but wanted to add something after 'liking' everyone's input on the thread.
    Hope to come back another time. But not so good in doing that in recent months, especially with music questions/posts, just ask the Twink and Jonny.

Be Well, all

EDIT: And I truly enjoyed reading everyone's input so far

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at January 7, 2020 7:15 PM MST
      January 7, 2020 6:53 PM MST

OK, I'm back - - I'll just throw it out there bluntly, what I was thinking would take too long in my other answer --

I don't particularly like the song itself, whether Simon and Garfunkel sing it or Disturbed or anyone. I don't like the song enough to want to listen to it by anyone. I realize it's a great song, I respect that - - I just don't personally like it so much.

To me, this Disturbed cover seems like they're copying Marilyn Manson's cover of  Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)"- - that's what I always think when I hear Disturbed doing this song. I like Marilyn Manson's cover to Sweet Dream better than Disturbed's cover of the Simon and Garfunkel song. (Though I tend to like how Disturbed made it into their type of song.)

January 7, 2020 7:08 PM MST

Powerful!
      January 7, 2020 7:19 PM MST

It was released December 2015..   The guy has an amazing voice ,and I've always hated his facial mouth piercing....it's the most powerful recording of that record and has always blown me away since its release back then...
      January 7, 2020 7:37 PM MST

Best version ever recorded...:)
      January 7, 2020 7:55 PM MST

Thank you my dotter.
      January 8, 2020 10:27 AM MST

I hope I didn't disturb you papa with my ramblings 
    ....:) 
      January 8, 2020 2:09 PM MST

You could never disturb me.
      January 8, 2020 3:13 PM MST

First time but it's great.  Thanks for posting it.  I've never listened to Disturbed.  I glanced at some of their other stuff and wasn't drawn to any of it.  But this particular piece is great.  I've never listened to another artist doing Sound of Silence other than S & G.  It just wasn't right.  
      January 7, 2020 11:51 PM MST