Active Now

Element 99
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
my2cents
Zack
Discussion » Questions » History » In ancient cultures (worldwide), what objects or substances were used for face-painting and/or body painting?

In ancient cultures (worldwide), what objects or substances were used for face-painting and/or body painting?

~

Posted - January 8, 2020

Responses

Varying from one nation to another, Aborigines in Australia painted ochre in significant designs on their bodies. They also wore wrist and ankle bands made of woven string and animal skins, with women often wearing skirts made from emu or other bird feathers. Designs and sacred object varied with the creation stories from one region to another. In South Australia, a certain species of red-bean was made into bead necklaces worn by the men. Across all the colder regions, kangaroo skin cloaks were worn. Sacred objects included clap sticks and digeridoos.

Modern ceremonial dress adds bright red loincloths for men, and bras with colourful cotton printed skirts for women. These tend to be worn more for the benefit of tourists.

January 8, 2020 9:30 AM MST

I tried to do a rustic picture in various ochres. The result was meedy ochre.
      January 10, 2020 9:22 PM MST

Cochineal and kermes: bright red dyes made from a scale insect.
    Various plants, such as indigo and saffron.
    Various woods.
    Iron (III) oxide (rust or jeweler's rouge.)

There are many more. This post was edited by Element 99 at January 8, 2020 7:10 PM MST
      January 8, 2020 10:03 AM MST

• I'm sure urine was quite common.  Ancient and primitive people's loved finding novel uses for urine. Both human and beast.
      January 8, 2020 11:09 AM MST

I read that.
      January 8, 2020 11:27 AM MST

(people’s peoples)

No apostrophe. 
      January 11, 2020 12:23 AM MST

Beets or vegetables and greens.  Red clay.  Coals/soot from fires.
      January 8, 2020 4:08 PM MST

New Zealand's maori people used the sharpened edge of seashells to carve tattoos into their faces. The more intricate one's moko, the higher their status.

This post was edited by Slartibartfast at January 10, 2020 10:14 AM MST
      January 10, 2020 4:06 AM MST