Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » History » What ruined your city/town?

What ruined your city/town?

Posted - January 10, 2020

Responses

Presently its the crake heads that ruined my town but in the future people will look back and figure what ruined Nanoose Bay was the removal of the Nanoose Bay Giant Garden Gnome.  The Nanoose Bay Giant Garden Gnome was our only defence at stopping invading Russian troops from rolling up Nanoose Hill and ruining the town. Included a link to a photo of the old giant Russian stopping Gnome. Cheers and Happy Weekend!

https://enchantedamerica.wordpress.com/2014/07/31/worlds-largest-garden-gnome-nanoose-bay-bc-canada/
      January 10, 2020 6:52 PM MST

• Damn crake heads. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 11, 2020 8:40 AM MST
      January 10, 2020 7:22 PM MST

• They let me move in.
      January 10, 2020 7:21 PM MST

Rising sea levels/climate change. 

It hasn’t happened yet, but it is happening in slow motion, inexorably, with each passing year.  

January 10, 2020 7:32 PM MST

Some jerkwad proposed an ordinance against tilde-“hoarding”, then the next thing I knew, the city council actually voted it in, and with an overwhelming majority too. The general public wasn’t even allowed into their closed-door session to make comments. I mean, come ON, let’s at least be realistic about this: it’s tilde-collecting, people, not tilde-hoarding. It’s a harmless pastime, a hobby, it’s personal therapy. Slapping an insulting name into a purely wholesome, a clean and decent diversion from life’s daily struggles should be the crime here, not the beloved tildes!  Is it too much to ask that it not be cheapened by bitter, hateful ignoramuses? They make it seem dark and dangerous and unworthy.

(I’m just glad they stopped short of the second proposal, which would have required intervention from mental health professionals.)  Grrrrrrrr. 
      January 10, 2020 8:42 PM MST

The same thing that has happened to most major cities in this country.  We moved to the suburbs in 1980, one which was incorporated and had no connection, tie, or dependence on the major city.  I rarely even drove into the city for the rest of the years I lived there..    The city continued in its downward spiral until it bankrupted and most every major elected official saw the inside of a prison cell.  It didn't take long, once it started, for it to hit bottom.  Then things actually seemed to improve a bit but right now I believe that city is on the list of the most dangerous cities in the country.  
      January 10, 2020 9:17 PM MST

The homeless, whackos, and druggies.  Other cities round up their homeless, whackos and druggies, then come and drop 'em off up here. 
      January 10, 2020 10:58 PM MST

Lack of caring about anything or anyone other than oneself.
    Over-population.
      January 11, 2020 12:18 AM MST