Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » What is the point of broadcasting a movie twice in one day, back-to-back airings?

What is the point of broadcasting a movie twice in one day, back-to-back airings?

Some cable channels, streaming services, etc. show a movie two times in a row. Why?
~

Posted - January 12, 2020

Responses

They are not exactly the same movie. In the first episode there are subliminal messages telling you to watch the movie again and in both episodes there are subliminal messages telling you to buy a certain product. 
    Why do you think now that you have accumulated more tildes than you can afford? 
      January 12, 2020 7:11 AM MST

Hey, I thought no one knew about the extra tildes. Hold on, I think I can explain . . . 

~
      January 12, 2020 9:24 AM MST

• Sometimes it is to accommodate time zone differences.  By broadcasting it twice it enables viewers who reside in a market separated by a 2 or 3 hour time difference from the initial airing to also see it during a preset viewing time.  This is important to advertisers who pay to have their ads seen during certain hours to reach particular demographics or the optimum number of potential consumers.
      January 12, 2020 7:16 AM MST

Thank + you. 

:)
      January 12, 2020 9:17 AM MST

I have seen that on numerous occasions. Maybe convenience. If I see one I want to watch and it is half way into, I can record it when it comes on again. What is even stranger is showing the same movie on two different channels at the same time.
      January 12, 2020 11:09 AM MST

Adjusting to demographic differences between two audiences - simple
      January 12, 2020 7:17 PM MST

How could that be construed as “simple”?    I’m referring to the exact same movie, not a different version of it, so how do you assume that demographics play into it?
      January 12, 2020 7:25 PM MST

I know it is the exact same movie.  You have two demographics say 21-35, and say 59-70.  They track similar on all relevant values except when they watch a TV etc. 

It is simple and cost effective to run the movies back to back to capture both audiences and up the Nielson Scores for Ad tracking. Additionally there is a cost savings in that the movies are shown on the same day.  That is the cost of screening goes down since there is not a new day added on.  A new day incurs more costs based on the standard Industry practices.

With more people Cord Cutting the Cable Companies and Networks are desperate to control costs so earnings look better to the Investor Crowd.
      January 13, 2020 5:24 AM MST

How exactly does it save money to run a movie back-to-back?
      January 13, 2020 5:43 AM MST

Contract with the studios on airing rights, two showings on one day saves the network, cable channel daily fees.  There are two to 5 fees charged for any show shown.  Presenting a show 2 times on the same day incurs only one daily fee, though you have two fees regarding showing.

The other though more unlikely reason is they do not have enough in their run catalog to have anything different until the calendar period is up.  Then the calendar period reboots without incurring extra charges.

Randy it is is system which is based in the early days of TV and Movie Broadcast rights.  Arcane, complex and would drive a rational person mad.  The studios and case law are on the side that the system will not change.

Another side to this coin is why are the majority of shows, movies, etc supposedly set in the US are filmed in Canada.  If has to do with avoiding the Unions, Equity Card, and Labor Rules and costs in the US.  It is also a Tax Dodge.  the more you learn about the Industry the more you will shake your head in disbelief This post was edited by Archerchef at January 16, 2020 12:20 PM MST
      January 15, 2020 9:26 AM MST