Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "It's easier to get a job than to get a raise these days." Is that true for you? How long since you've had a raise that was significant?

"It's easier to get a job than to get a raise these days." Is that true for you? How long since you've had a raise that was significant?

Posted - January 12, 2020

Responses

I work for me. So my sales are my income. Sales are doing well. Have had my 3 highest years in the last 3 years. :)

I also gave my employees a raise this year. 
      January 12, 2020 7:59 AM MST

A high-five to you m2c for sharing your good fortune with your employees. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      January 13, 2020 12:38 AM MST

Depends on what you consider "significant."  I would call it 4% or more these days.  It has been decades for me.  I am above the top pay grade in my field, so my raises are small - 1-3% depending on how well the firm did that year.  This year, it was 3%, but last year I didn't get a raise, just a bonus.  Of course, I only work 3 days a week now, so I was surprised to even get a raise.  
      January 12, 2020 8:11 AM MST

You have a great boss and a great relationship that has lasted for many years L. He reocgnizes what a great employee he has in you. If everyone had that same kind of boss/employee meaningful and substantive connection it would be nifty. I think a lot of folks are working but they can barely make ends meet while many "bosses" and "owners" and "corporate bigshots" get bazillions and have no intention of sharing the wealth. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to you! :)
      January 13, 2020 12:40 AM MST

I do have a great boss and, after more than 28 years, I still like him!  Too many big corporate CEOs get these tremendous salaries, perks and golden parachutes that it is disgusting.  The Boeing exec on whose watch the 737 Max was poorly built, walked away with $62 million dollars.  I hope the 176 passengers sue him for every penny of that money.
      January 13, 2020 8:35 AM MST

Ya know L I hear about things like that and I get FURIOUS on behalf of the workers. These superpower bigshots screw up and cause mayhem and their golden parachutes set them for life. It's almost as if they purposely screw up. Why work if you don't have to right? Thank you for your reply ! :)
      January 13, 2020 8:42 AM MST

There was a time when these execs got rewarded for making the company better and improving workers' conditions.  Now, they get these outrageous amounts of money for taking a company down.  
      January 13, 2020 12:48 PM MST

By golly you are so right! Now how did the world get so cockamamie lopsided upside down and inside out backwards? Well these bigshot hotshots negotiate their golden parachutes upfront and once that is secured insured they can fail spectacularly and they suffer no consequences. I wonder why they don't set up contingencies? You know if the company increases productivity by X percent a benefit kicks in AFTER the fact of doing a good job? I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply L and Happy Tuesday! :)
      January 14, 2020 2:43 AM MST

That is the way it should be, but employment terms are negotiated up front, so unless there's a clause that someone is fired for "cause," (fraud, theft, etc.) and the agreement specifically states that they will get no compensation or severance, they get what they originally agreed upon.  I'm surprised the big stockholders allow this to continue.
      January 14, 2020 9:34 AM MST

Me too. Different subject! I watched 60 Minutes. Rafa Nadal and Roger Federer and Novak Djovich are the top three players in the world. The Australian Open starts Monday January 20 in Melbourne. Sad thing is one qualifier had to retire because she got caught up in a coughing fit due to the bad air. She was playing in a tuneup match and I don't know which city. I don't know how the continuing fires will affect it. What a shame to have health issues invade what is normally a glorious yearly event! Thanks for the message L and Happy Wednesday! :)
      January 15, 2020 10:22 AM MST

Maria Sharapova was playing in Melbourne.  Two others were having breathing problems.

https://sports.yahoo.com/australian-open-qualifying-player-collapses-042852240.html
      January 15, 2020 11:07 AM MST

Oh, it's very easy to get a job these days.
    If you're willing to work 20-25 hours per week as an "independent contractor" for s**t pay, there are a TON of jobs available to you...

An actual full-time job with a living wage and health insurance? Not so much...
      January 12, 2020 8:15 AM MST

Exactly what I thought SP. The unemployment rate is down to something like 3.5%. I don't know how many folks are working more than one job, how much in debt they are or what they have to do without to just survive. The movers and shakes gets their bazillion dollar paychecks with trillions of benefits and tax options and expense accounts. Look at dumb don? We pay for his trips to his golf resorts and the entourage that goes everywhere with him. He is just the tip of a very large and icy iceberg iceburg icebugers. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      January 13, 2020 12:43 AM MST

SP is spot-on.  Why are we bragging about jobs that just drain us of time and little else?   Jobs that are a burden to go to and depend on are a dime a dozen.  No one is standing in line for those useless jobs that tire you out enough so that it is doubly hard to go to the next job you need because two paychecks are what is needed to survive these days.  

January 12, 2020 8:19 AM MST

The unemployment rate is allegedly 3.5% which is low. But folks are still having trouble making ends meet, do without things and often work more than one job. The ones doing well are rolling in dough and the ones who aren't don't have time to do anything but figure out how to pay their bills and keep their famllies afloat. And so it goes. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      January 13, 2020 12:45 AM MST

All of my pensions have yearly COLAs. Adding them makes them semi-significant.
      January 12, 2020 10:48 AM MST

"All" your pensions? One from the gubment one from the military one from your other job(s)? Nice work if you can get it E. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee! :)
      January 13, 2020 12:46 AM MST

Easy to get a job???  Where???   All the jobs around here are either to physical (ie. construction, roofer) or part time (2-8 hrs a week).  Part time pays just enough to get one off medicaid, but not enough to be able to pay for your own (not to mention small places don't have to pay minimum wage).  
      January 12, 2020 2:36 PM MST

Oh, Shuhak. You want a job that pays enough so you can afford food, clothing, rent, transportation, AND medical insurance?

What kind of America-hating Commie Pinko Liberal are you? Get out there and expend your labor for the enrichment of the 1%. It's your patriotic duty!!!

[sarcasm off]

[Double safety notice: The above was ENTIRELY sarcasm. I have great sympathy for Shuhak's plight]
      January 12, 2020 3:02 PM MST

Yes, I want that elusive American pipe dream.  The dream of actually owning my very own own cardboard box in the park, instead of borrowing one from Walmart each night.  The dream of being able to afford to eat from the garbage can behind Joe's Fine Eatery, instead of sucking on an expired Burger King coupon I found last winter.  The dream of having clothes with less holes in them than swiss cheese at an NRA convention. The dream of being giving every last penny I earn or find (past present and future) to a medical insurance company that requires me to pay 80% of every medical bill I receive (on top of what I give them).  The dream of being able to get kicked off a bus for not ... (sniff) ... for not having exact change.
      January 12, 2020 3:52 PM MST

There is a YouTube channel I sometimes watch which covers the automotive industry from the manufacturer/supplier perspective ("Magna signs contract with VW to produce models in Graz, Austria plant" is a typical news item).

One of the channel's founders got his start in the automotive industry as a Ford line worker in the late 1950s or early 1960s, straight out of high school. One time he shared on the channel that he calculated his pay from those days and adjusted for inflation. Back then, a boy straight out of high school could go to work for Ford and make the modern equivalent of $85,000/year, plus benefits.

I don't know about you, but I think I could get by pretty well on $85k/year.

I think one problem with our modern politics is people have forgotten the situation the YouTuber described used to be normal. Being able to make a decent living didn't require exceptional education, or exceptional entrepreneurial drive, or exceptional luck. One just found a decent job and made a decent living. If you wanted more than that, then you did have to do something to make it happen, but the baseline was pretty high. Because we've collectively forgotten what the world used to be like, we don't ask the question, "Why can't it be like that again?"
      January 12, 2020 4:15 PM MST

:):):)
      January 13, 2020 1:01 AM MST

January 13, 2020 12:51 AM MST

January 13, 2020 12:50 AM MST