Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Where does the light come from that enables us to see what is happening in our dreams?

Where does the light come from that enables us to see what is happening in our dreams?

Light requires some source of energy from somewhere or else we would not be able to see what is happening -there would be only darkness. 

Posted - January 12, 2020

Responses

Electrical impulses in the brain. Can you think/visualize with your eyes closed.
      January 12, 2020 12:43 PM MST

Yeah. I can still see my first lover. She was 100% hot. She changed my AC to DC!  It was totally dark in that field where we parked her 64' Pontiac with the 2 speed automatic. Today, there is now a house built on that spot. Can't tell whatever happened to the young lady. She moved away, probably embarrased about being with me! 
      January 12, 2020 1:30 PM MST

• It was dark because of her energy source. You can make REAL love only with AC !!!
      January 12, 2020 1:47 PM MST

• The same light people see when dying, and the same light when you close your eyes in the waking state, and you see this light minimized - coming and going with your heartrate.
      January 12, 2020 1:50 PM MST

Ok so the light comes from electricity at night and sunlight during the day. Very good!  This post was edited by Kittigate at January 12, 2020 3:43 PM MST
      January 12, 2020 2:43 PM MST

NO...from inside your brain.
      January 12, 2020 5:30 PM MST

• The images are in our mind.  The light shines from our soul.
      January 12, 2020 1:35 PM MST

• .....or from your Aura for that matter. 
      January 12, 2020 1:51 PM MST

Absolutely!
    :) :)
      January 12, 2020 3:45 PM MST

Dink is Twinkling 
      January 12, 2020 2:37 PM MST

I'm twinkling with glee and agree!
      January 12, 2020 3:44 PM MST

Listen to our Billie and you won't care.

January 12, 2020 1:50 PM MST

If you look closely, you can SEE the light between the atoms.  

Just close your eyes and be patient.  Something we are all lacking and it makes us mentally ill.  Patience is indeed a virtue.
      January 12, 2020 1:51 PM MST

...the light of the universe
    of your Soul Verse
    and you were thinking
    that it wasn't everywhere? ;)
    The Source is that which has always been.
    That which is the Generator, Operator and Destroyer.
      January 12, 2020 2:34 PM MST

:) :)!
      January 12, 2020 3:45 PM MST

It's not real light.

When we dream we imagine the scene whatever its own light level.
      January 12, 2020 2:43 PM MST

Hmmm... Let me think about it...

This post was edited by bevo at January 14, 2020 5:40 AM MST
      January 12, 2020 3:49 PM MST

Right.. electricity. 
      January 12, 2020 5:37 PM MST

Your brain is perfectly capable of creating the illusion of a visual field without needing actual light impinging upon your retina.

In fact, your brain does this almost constantly and you never notice. Each time you blink, or when your eyes move, you are effectively blind. But your brain continues to construct the visual field you experience based upon the last visual input it received.

So, when you're asleep and your eyes are completely closed, the optical processing cortices in the occipital lobes simply take the input information from reconstructed memories and generate a visual experience for your consciousness to process.

There is even a condition (Anton-Babinski syndrome) where a person can be actually physically blind, yet their visual processing cortices continue to generate the subjective experience of a visual field, so they are completely unaware they are blind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton%E2%80%93Babinski_syndrome
      January 12, 2020 3:59 PM MST

Thank you for that explanation!

I have noticed a strange but probably related effect in absolute darkness (in a cave). It is one hard to describe sensibly,  but I will try!

Once my eyes and brain have registered the total lack of light, with my lamp switched off, I have found that holding my hand up in front of my face produces a very odd "image" of the hand in that location, as a sort of darkness even more intense than reality.

I wonder if my brain is acting very slightly as it would in that Anton-Babinski Syndrome. 

This complete darkness is so un-natural to us that many would soon turn their lamps back on. I do too, but also find an odd relief by closing my eyes, so my mind probably decides "Oh, OK. No optical signals because he's shut his eyes!"

====

Regarding dreams, sometime I awake aware that the dream scene was in a rather strange, very subdued light, as if in an old sepia-tinted photograph. Yet others' images are in their appropriate light-level, even sunlight.

It's led me to speculate that when this subdued-light dreaming occurs, my eyes are open but the normal sight-processing is "off" for the night, leaving my imagination to plant its scene in the very low but real ambient light. (My room is not closely over-looked and has no  curtains, so is rarely in very deep darkness.)

Some evidence for this has been the thankfully-rare occasion I have woken from a nightmare based on mentally metamorphosing a real object in the room into something frightening: an effect that might explain some "ghost sightings". The metamorphosis continues for a brief moment during waking, so it's not an altered memory of the object but a misinterpretation of real sighting. 
      January 12, 2020 5:05 PM MST

I am speculating here, but I've read that the dark-adapted human eye can detect the energy of a single photon. I wonder if a tiny percentage of the EM radiation from your hand (mostly in the infrared band) spikes up into the visual light bandwidth, so you actually can "see" your hand in total darkness, if only very very faintly.

With respect to your sepia-toned dream lighting, it seems plausible to me that your dreaming brain is processing the faint amount of light which penetrates your closed eyelids and incorporates that into your dreaming experience. I've had many dreams where auditory information (e.g. my clock-radio turning on and playing the local news station) has been incorporated into them and influenced my experience.
      January 12, 2020 5:18 PM MST

Could be.  Those are interesting thoughts.

I think the oddest type of dream I have had was not imagining activities in a scene, but "hearing" music without picturing the source, as if from somewhere outside my room. I recall only two instances though.

I remember the first better even though it happened in my teens... half a century ago. I came awake thinking my parents who were in bed by then, had forgotten to turn off the radio downstairs, because I had clearly "heard" a soprano singing an operatic aria. Yet at the time I knew almost nothing about opera, did not understand it, and did not even like it.
      January 12, 2020 5:53 PM MST

Very Cool!
      January 12, 2020 9:58 PM MST

Some dreams are just so illuminating when you feel de'light..De'light also mskes you light headed and add sparkle to you life...:) 
      January 12, 2020 5:25 PM MST