Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Military » Military veterans who served overseas in at least two or more countries, especially during peacetime*:

Military veterans who served overseas in at least two or more countries, especially during peacetime*:

which, if any, one particular foreign country did you enjoy much more than others, and why?

For instance, during my active duty days, I went to 14 different foreign countries. There are so many of them that it's a little difficult for me to single out just one over all of the others. It is true, however, that there were some I did not enjoy at all, some I am ambevilent about, and others I detested strongly. 

*DISCLAIMER: during all of my 13 years of military service, I was either in   peacetime settings, and/or the units I which I served were never in combat areas during active hostilities.

~

Posted - January 12, 2020

Responses

Why don't we have a military corner for the seven people who can answer this? 
      January 12, 2020 5:30 PM MST

Stop that.
      January 12, 2020 5:47 PM MST

I make people love me for it.

bad guy
    White shirt now red, my bloody nose
    Sleeping, you're on your tippy toes
    Creeping around like no one knows
    Think you're so criminal
    Bruises, on both my knees for you
    Don't say thank you or please
    I do what I want when I'm wanting to
    My soul? So cynical
    So you're a tough guy
    Like it really rough guy
    Just can't get enough guy
    Chest always so puffed guy
    I'm that bad type
    Make your mama sad type
    Make your girlfriend mad tight
    Might seduce your dad type
    I'm the bad guy, duh
    I'm the bad guy
    I like it when you take control
    Even if you know that you don't
    Own me, I'll let you play the role
    I'll be your animal
    My mommy likes to sing along with me
    But she won't sing this song
    If she reads all the lyrics
    She'll pity the men I know
    So you're a tough guy
    Like it really rough guy
    Just can't get enough guy
    Chest always so puffed guy
    I'm that bad type
    Make your mama sad type
    Make your girlfriend mad tight
    Might seduce your dad type
    I'm the bad guy, duh
    I'm the bad guy, duh
    I'm only good at being bad, bad
    I like when you get mad
    I guess I'm pretty glad that you're alone
    You said she's scared of me?
    I mean, I don't see what she sees
    But maybe it's 'cause I'm wearing your cologne
    I'm a bad guy
    I'm a bad guy
    Bad guy, bad guy
    I'm a bad-
    Source: LyricFind
    Songwriters: Billie Eilish O'Connell / Finneas Baird O'Connell
    bad guy lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group, Kobalt Music Publishing Ltd.
      January 12, 2020 5:53 PM MST

Italy...I had a girlfriend on the ship and we traveled throughout. Best paid vacation ever.
      January 12, 2020 5:49 PM MST

I liked most countries I served in, just not the duty at times.  Favorite was possibly the UK or Thailand.  Ambivalent feelings to negative the Philippines.  This is based on the duty and who I was serving with.

My least favorite base ever was  Twenty Nine Palms in CA 
      January 14, 2020 1:41 PM MST

I had the great fortune of never stepping foot on the soil at Twenty-Nine Palms, California for the entire first four years of my three tours of duty in the Marine Corps, even though it eventually became the primary location for Radio School. Advanced communications training and refresher training also took place there, but I was stationed in Hawaii then. Just after boot camp, I was in the last class of radio operators who went through Camp Pendleton, California before they moved it to 29 Stumps. I think the 7th Regiment also relocated there about that same time. In my fifth year in the Corps, my unit went there for desert training. 
    ~
      January 14, 2020 11:02 PM MST

You were lucky, 29 stumps for numerous reasons I was not fond of.  I believe in the summer the surface of the Sun is cooler
      January 15, 2020 9:10 AM MST

Have you ever heard of anyone being “fond” of the Stumps?

Here’s some trivia for you, and it might even be just an urban legend, or military lore, I’m not sure how accurate it is. I first heard it when I was a young PFC:

Marine Corps Base Twenty-Nine Palms, California is a barren, desolate, crummy place, right?  Back before it belonged to the Corps, however, it was a US Army base. The Army gave it up because it was determined to be unfit for human habitation. Naturally, Marine Corps brass seized on it as prime real estate, wholly appropriate for Leathernecks, snapped it up, and Marines have been miserable there ever since. 

~
      January 15, 2020 9:48 PM MST

Never heard that, I could believe it though.  I just researched the history and it started out as an Army Glider training school, Navy took it over in 1944.  Marines in 51 due to lack of space at Pendleton.  Here is an article

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/2015/04/28/history-twentynine-palm-marine-base/26538047/

My time there was made miserable by my CO, how he ever made it through TBS surprises even me.  Micro-managers would have been envious of this guys style
      January 16, 2020 12:19 PM MST

• My son was in the US Navy and was on a Mediterranean deployment.  He really liked Spain and Italy.  They were very close to Bosnia during that war in the 90's .. not a pleasure trip!
      January 14, 2020 2:04 PM MST