Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Fill in the Blank » Birds are the best at _____________.

Birds are the best at _____________.

Posted - January 13, 2020

Responses

. . waiting . . . 

January 13, 2020 5:03 AM MST

I love crows.  As you may remember, I have a great friend who is a crow.  He has been with me for years.
    His name is Crawford.  As noisy as some may find them, they are very intelligent and actually very handsome.
    Thanks Welby!  You're awesome!
    :) :)!
      January 13, 2020 12:51 PM MST

Nice!
    :)

Crows are my favorite bird!

And this scene from "The Birds" is my favorite single scene from any movie I've yet to see. (Not just because crows are in it -- I find the scene, in all ways, practically perfect.
      January 13, 2020 7:21 PM MST

Crows are extremely intelligent. I too like crows! They crack me up and I have always been amused that a flock of crows are a "Murder". LOL
    I'm also very fond of Ravens. A neighbor of mine had one for quite a while (16 years?) He rescued it after he found it when it was a chick with an injured wing. It could never be rehabbed so he kept it.  That thing was smart AF. LOL

January 13, 2020 7:29 PM MST

Cool!
      January 13, 2020 7:35 PM MST

The Birds has a rich history in regards to Hitchcock.  Hedron had no warning that when she went into the attack, Hitch had arranged for Birds to be literally thrown at her.  Some may find that cruel but I find that strangely hilarious. 

Everything about this movie is fascinating. My favorite scene would be when the birds start attacking the diner and the car bursts into flames. The choreography of that entire scene is breathtaking and the cinematography is gorgeous. Hitchcock created one of the most memorable, horrific moments in cinema history, filmed during bright sunlight in a deceptively idyllic setting. 

And let's talk about ballsy. Alfred sure had a lot of those, did he not? Showing terrified schoolchildren fleeing from attacking birds.  I don't think I ever got over being traumatized by Suzanne Pleshette getting whacked. 
      January 13, 2020 7:41 PM MST

Yeah, I've read that about the birds being thrown at Hedren. It does have a strange humor to it!

PLOT SPOILERS!! "THE BIRDS"!

I've read various stories about Hitchcock and Hedren -- he seems to have been not so nice to her once she refused his advances/approaches/whatever the word. 
    I also read that Hedren had to leave the "The Birds" shooting for several days by doctor's orders because of the stress on her, in part because of that entire day of that bird scene. I read/heard an interview with Veronica Cartwright (my favorite actress) and she stated that the woman being carried down the stairs (in the movie, after 'Melanie' is pulled out of that upstairs/attic room) is not Hedren -- it was just a woman. That scene was filmed while Hedren was away, I guess. I'm thinking you may be more of an expert on the movie than I am, so maybe I heard all of this wrong but, from what I remember, Hedren had a rough time in them movie, based much on Hitchcock's advances toward her.

I do know that Bodega, California and Bodega Bay, California were the highlights for me in a trip to California - -forget San Francisco and Los Angeles -- I stood in front of that schoolhouse (an art museum at the time I visited).

And isn't Pleshette so good in the movie, yes! I really like that moment with Melanie and Annie sitting in Annie's front room -- and Annie is smoking a cigarette -- she looks SO cool to me in that scene.
    Yeah, I don't like Pleshette's demise, too - - and Cartwright's ('Kathy')  tearful, sobbing telling (in the car after the schoolchildren are attacked) of how Annie got attacked trying to save Kathy.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at January 13, 2020 8:04 PM MST
      January 13, 2020 7:58 PM MST

Image result for suzanne pleshette the birds

Image result for suzanne pleshette tippi hedren THe Birds
    This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at January 13, 2020 8:02 PM MST
      January 13, 2020 8:00 PM MST

Another image related to what I already posted to you :)

Regardless of her age, child to adult, Cartwright always has such honesty in anything I've seen her in.

Image result for veronica cartwright THe Birds crying

January 13, 2020 8:06 PM MST

My favorite story about Hitchock came from Melanie Griffith. She said that after one of her mother's movies (can't remember which), Hitch came to their house. It was Melanie's birthday and he gave her a present which was a little doll of her mother in a coffin. LMAO
    That's funny!

I gotta run..I'll be back
      January 13, 2020 8:11 PM MST

OMG!! Ha!

How creepy yet weird. Funny, yeah - - but that's creepy to me, too.

As I sit here thinking, that story Griffith shared is striking me pretty creepy, based on what I've read about Hitchcock's and his off-camera behavior to toward Hedren. But I bet his gift was tongue-in-cheek, dark humor-ish/whatever.
    (To Hedren's credit, also - - even in what I've read her share about Hitch, she shares it with respect to his talent and his positive impact on her professional life.)

I'm getting pretty tired again -- if you reply yet tonight and I don't respond, I'll catch up with you later!

Fun talking tonight!
      January 13, 2020 8:23 PM MST

Oh --  more- - yes, I agree with you on everything you've said here!

That scene with the car -- and the customers are yelling at the guy to put out his cigarette -- and Hedren looking one way and then the other and then -- yes, the choreography is amazing there for sure!

Oh, and then from up in the air, and from BEHIND and ABOVE the birds - - we see that car on fire and the birds start congregating up in the air and start flying down to it all - - so neat to me :)

great scene for sure!
    (and at the 1:30 mark is where I like the from-the-air thing I mention)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at January 13, 2020 8:27 PM MST
      January 13, 2020 8:09 PM MST

..."decorating" statues.
      January 13, 2020 9:33 AM MST

When you gotta go, you gotta go!  Better a statue than your head!
    Thanks Shuhak!
      January 13, 2020 12:52 PM MST

Uh.. ok... but they also like to adorn them with themselves.
      January 13, 2020 1:27 PM MST

They are nice to view from afar.  Frolicking amongst themselves is wonderful to watch.
    I have binoculars to do just that...
    in our neighbors yard is especially entertaining.
    ;) :).
      January 13, 2020 1:30 PM MST

I have to watch using binoculars as my neighbors get nervous.  However, I used to photograph birds as they frequented my birdbath and bird feeder.  I just can't get a picture of the hummingbirds.  They're very nosy.  They love to hover right next to me and watch me work in the yard.  Some will converse (they actually seem to talk back to me when I talk to them).  But they're all camera shy.  As soon as they see a camera they literally vanish.  
      January 13, 2020 1:48 PM MST

They have chosen you.  Consider yourself lucky.  People who work with birds and admire them....
    and even people who don't will say, "If a bird pays attention to you.  Be aware.  You are chosen by that bird.  Feel privileged.  You Are."
    It's True.  :) :)
      January 13, 2020 3:25 PM MST

• Contrary to popular opinion ...  Birds are the best at TWEETING.  :)
      January 13, 2020 9:41 AM MST

Happy! Happy!  So True!

Thanks Mrs. C!
      January 13, 2020 12:54 PM MST

• Wuv Tweety Pie!

January 13, 2020 1:13 PM MST

My woods.
      January 13, 2020 11:26 AM MST

Your woods?  Because they reside there?  If so, I'm glad you take the time to enjoy their company.  They are fascinating creatures.
    Thanks B.H. Wilson.
    :) :)! This post was edited by Merlin at January 13, 2020 3:06 PM MST
      January 13, 2020 12:48 PM MST

entertaining me in the summer.

January 13, 2020 11:47 AM MST