Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Education » What is happening to the education of learning to work together as a team? Believing the team is made of real people not just a voice?

What is happening to the education of learning to work together as a team? Believing the team is made of real people not just a voice?

Posted - January 13, 2020

Responses

When society decided that every person is a winner (whether they actually win, lose or even participate), and the educational system opted to discontinue teaching things like writing, spelling, basic math and such, a new word was created  - "teaim".  (they put the 'I' in team).  Due to everything having to be strictly "PC", 'tea' was thought to be too anglophobic, so they dropped it.  Now all that's taught is "I'm".
      January 13, 2020 9:32 AM MST

Or maybe when kids noticed that it's well-known individuals who receive adulation/money, and being just a "team member" is a path to poverty and depression?

Just sayin'...
      January 13, 2020 7:41 PM MST

There are always two sides to the coin. 
    I hate to cliche' but didn't it take two to make that kid?
    We all need to learn to play nice in the sandbox and help each other.
    Your thought does have merit.  All for one and one for one.  It DOES seem to work these days.
    Thanks SaltyPebble :) :)!
      January 13, 2020 7:56 PM MST

No, it took a WHOLE F***ING SOCIETY to make that kid.

But (many modern) people want the benefits of "teamwork" without paying the cost of making sure everyone on the team at least gets a juice box and an orange slice for their participation, because somehow that's "too PC." So, instead, it's "I've upped mine...now up yours!"
      January 13, 2020 8:12 PM MST

Death to Soccer-mom Syndrome.
    I agree.  
    Thanks Shuhak :) :)!

January 13, 2020 7:50 PM MST

American PC sissy wussie culture has taken a toll on kids' ability to even understand team work. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at January 14, 2020 8:07 PM MST
      January 13, 2020 7:32 PM MST

OK, boomer.
      January 13, 2020 7:39 PM MST

Just looking at your avatar makes me know, you know what you are talking about.
    Thanks SaltyPebble :) :)!
      January 13, 2020 7:52 PM MST

January 13, 2020 8:08 PM MST

I am watching right now!  He definitely portrays his dominance, even in your avatar.  I didn't realize he had such lovely orange/pink on his under feathers.  Please excuse my lack of correct terminology.  I don't know bird lingo but he is incredibly beautiful and strong.  I typing as I'm watching.  Was that your hand trying to talk to him?  Is he mad about something or does he just pace like that naturally?
    Truly an outstanding creature!! This post was edited by Merlin at January 13, 2020 8:17 PM MST
      January 13, 2020 8:16 PM MST

Quite simply put, I agree and to me, it is a tragedy.
    Thanks Thriftymaid :) :)!
      January 13, 2020 7:51 PM MST

Having spent most of my life/career working with people with special needs, yes, teamwork is important to me. 

Working and encouraging everyone as individuals - to help individuals find, and discover, and strengthen, his or her strengths -- yes, to participate as best as one can -- it all works to make someone a winner, which then can make all of us winners.
    We're all different yet the same - - we would like to find and strengthen ourselves. We can all do this potentially well -- and, yes, even VERY well --  if we see each other as individuals with strengths and weaknesses, yet, also as teammates.

I find nothing PC about that. 
    Yet, I realize I've also spent most of my life not "fitting in" with what many others seem to often think.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 9, 2022 5:41 PM MDT
      September 9, 2022 5:31 PM MDT