Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is there any other country whose citizens are as money-hungry greedy/superificial as USA? As long as the economy is GREAT so are they?

Is there any other country whose citizens are as money-hungry greedy/superificial as USA? As long as the economy is GREAT so are they?

They don't mind lies and spies and treasoning and traitoring and corrupting and cheating and scamming and conning and being screwed other ways otherwise. Just keep that economy healthy and well the dumb don can get away with anything anytime.

Posted - January 14, 2020

Responses

Every nation since the beginning of time.
    Rulers have known for thousands of years, you either keep the people in line by ruling with an iron fist - distracting them with "bread and circuses" - or keeping them happy with material goods.
      January 14, 2020 8:30 AM MST

You know in Massachusetts there was or is a grocery store called "bread and circus". I never understood what that meant. Now I do Walt. Just keep 'em fat and happy with "stuff" and you own them. Nature or nurture? Thank you for your helpful reply and Happy Wednesday to you. Isn't it  peculiar though? You answered a question I had from years ago but never asked! Goodness gracious what are the odds of THAT?
      January 15, 2020 1:38 AM MST

Was it shaped like a circus tent?
    We had a store with the same name, shaped and painted like a circus tent.
    After they closed, I don't think any other business there lasted more than a year.
    Maybe the marijuana store there now will have better cash flow.  LOL
      January 15, 2020 8:00 AM MST

There is, of course, the old apocryphal praise of Mussolini that "He made the trains run on time" which was uttered to explain why people tolerated his totalitarian government.

To the extant that your assertion is true (and I don't know what the evidence is), I suspect it has become true over time as globalization, growing income inequality, and the development of mass media/social media culture have reinforced people's behavior in that direction.

Some have argued that the social unrest of the 1960s in the USA was a product of the comparative economic security of those times. If you and three of your friends can afford to rent a San Francisco Victorian house on the collective earnings of your easily-replaced part-time jobs, that gives you a lot of free time to go out and try to change the world in the Summer of Love.

When that same San Francisco Victorian today sells for $2 million and rents for $10,000/month, anyone living there has to spend all of their time focused on advancing their high-tech high-earning careers. That doesn't leave a lot of room for altruism and social justice.

January 14, 2020 9:25 AM MST

To what extent is any assertion true SP? I say how things seem to be to me. That is MY reality. Whether it's yours or others I cannot say. If the economy TANKS very badly and all the happy little pro dumb don capitalists are losing LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY will they still cling to dumb don or will they abandon him? I have no idea. But then money was never my carrot and I have only contempt for those who carrot it is. Can't help it. All of the ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME people are not my cuppa tea. Thank you for your thoughtful explanation/observation/opinion and Happy Wednesday to thee! :)
      January 15, 2020 1:42 AM MST

Yes, all of them.

It seems more prevalent here because we live here.  We see and hear about it daily.  Not many people care about what happens in other countries (non political) as it doesn't affect them.  Would you really care if over half the population of Peru were greedy/superficial? How do you know they aren't?
      January 14, 2020 12:35 PM MST

I am a globalist Shuhak. But as far as the intricacies of greedy/superficial by country none of them are my cuppa tea. I care about what is going on elsewhere worldwide. I am aware of some of it and I ask questions about it. Australia for example. Or the Philippines. Or Puerto Rico. Where disaster strikes and people are adversely affected I do care. I do not live in a vacuum or a bubble. Bazillions of people do. They do not give a rat's about anything or anyone but themselves. As long as their bank accounts are doing swell everyone else can go to he**. SIGH. Thank you for your reply. This post was edited by RosieG at January 18, 2020 5:28 AM MST
      January 15, 2020 1:45 AM MST

I'm not saying that we aren't a very greedy/corrupt nation.  Would that we weren't.  I'm just saying that we know our country better than we know other countries because we live here.  How greedy/corrupt is Russia?  HOw about Iran?  N. Korea?  India?  Britain?  Afghanistan?  Israel?  Germany?  Saudi Arabia?  South Africa?      Are you sure?  We only hear the news that those (and other) countries allow us to hear, or that leaks out - be it true of false.
      January 15, 2020 11:30 AM MST

Of course that is precisely why I asked the question. I do not know. My concern is with MY COUNTRY and how we interface with the world. I have the power of the vote here. I have no power to change anything in any other country. Also I EXPECT MY COUNTRY TO BE BETTER THAN OTHERS. Don't you? Thank you for your reply. I cannot possibly answer all yours questions Shuhak. Would that I could. Would that I could! :)
      January 18, 2020 5:31 AM MST

• Why worry about it?? Your propaganda peddlers on the left should make the difference in a lot of elections this year. After all, NOBODY votes against Santa Claus and his bag of free goodies. Now, if that ain't greed and avarice on a large scale, then nuthin' is. Most of us believe that any economy is better than a down hill spiral and metamorphosis into a repeat of Venezuela.
      January 14, 2020 2:13 PM MST

As it turns out, plenty of people will vote against Santa and the free goodies if they are either:

A) Unaware who the "free goodies" are actually going to (cf. the amount by which corporate/rich people welfare dwarfs welfare to the poor)

B) Unhappy in their belief (whether reality-based or not) N*gg*ers and Sp*cs..., sorry, forgot to switch to Dog Whistle...ahem,  "welfare queens" and "illegal immigrants" are also getting the free goodies.
      January 14, 2020 2:48 PM MST

OMG SP! BRILLIANT and I'm gonna use it in a question. "the amount by which corporate/rich people welfare dwarfs welfare to the poor". I've been bit**ing about this for years. The welfare queens are the politicos and the billionaires who get subsidies for not growing things or tax breaks in the trillions which they believe is their DUE whereas everyone else can to go he**! What a bunch of parasites!
      January 15, 2020 1:48 AM MST

People vote their pocket book....always have and always will. 
    Clinton: "It's is the economy, Stupid."
      January 14, 2020 3:45 PM MST

If you want to go with dueling Arguments from Authority, I'll go with LBJ

“If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.”

On a more substantive level, I will cite the recent news about the US occupation of (parts of) Afghanistan and the tariff war with China, both of which were endless money transfers from the pocketbooks of the average American to defense contractors or agri-business giants. 

Do you have anything more reality-based to offer than selectively-chosen quotes which reinforce what you wish to believe? Or is it your assertion that Americans are voting to have their pocketbooks swindled for the benefit of Lockheed-Martin, Academi, Archer-Daniels-Midland, ConAgra, etc.?

This post was edited by SaltyPebble at January 15, 2020 1:51 AM MST
      January 14, 2020 3:58 PM MST

People vote based on their pocket book. That has nothing to do with race. That is a fact. And a big reason Trump will win re-election. 
    LBJ was a racist....and made many racist statements.
      January 14, 2020 4:04 PM MST

You seem to have this misunderstanding that if you just keep repeating the same statements, they will somehow be made more true through repetition.

Very curious...
      January 14, 2020 4:11 PM MST

I just state facts. I do not care who believes or does not. 
      January 14, 2020 4:22 PM MST

You also seem to have this habit of confusing your BELIEFS with empirical FACTS.

I suspect you don't run your business by confusing what you BELIEVE your sales numbers to be with what they actually are. You don't assert the sales numbers on the basis of "Bill said so." You actually check them.

Wouldn't it be nice if you did the same thing in your political life?... This post was edited by SaltyPebble at January 14, 2020 4:28 PM MST
      January 14, 2020 4:28 PM MST

If you wish do discuss the topic please do so. Otherwise, I do know what you are doing here.
      January 14, 2020 4:31 PM MST

Salty is here to answer questions.  I have never seen you get flustered by someone like you do with this bird.  
    WHY?  

Why do you think SP doesn't belong here?  

AND I BELONG HERE?????

WHY in GOD'S name are you so fairminded with ME and this kind of thing flusters you?  I have never seen you be this rude.  And why?   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 14, 2020 4:37 PM MST
      January 14, 2020 4:36 PM MST

By "Here" I mean on my answer...not the site itself.
      January 14, 2020 4:38 PM MST

Yes.  Sara Huckabee states facts too.  
      January 14, 2020 4:38 PM MST

Yes, she did/does.
      January 14, 2020 4:41 PM MST

I suppose that's technically true as she did not spout lies 100% of the time.

But, otherwise, I stand by my statement 5) above in this thread.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sarah-sanders-false-information_n_5b059328e4b0784cd2b0afcb
      January 14, 2020 4:57 PM MST