Active Now

my2cents
Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Is death the great equalizer?

Is death the great equalizer?

If you stand in a cemetery you don't know who had a degree or who had never been to school.  
There is no difference between rich or poor, those who had a good life and those who didn't,
those who had many friends and those who walked alone.  The only defining thing is where
you will spend eternity. 

Posted - January 15, 2020

Responses

Well, for those of us who are still on this side of "death" and are still able to "walk among the tombstones," I suppose it is.

But if as CS Lewis wrote that since good as it grows differentiates itself from not only evil but also from all other good in this life, and since he and I both agree l that everything "good" will somehow be resurrected as well, our expectation that the differences will become quite obvious to all in eternity.

(And no, I didn't personally know Lewis.  He died in 1963.  He was known as an Anglican Christian apologist who---though originally an atheist---eventually came to believe in Christianity.  But I've read most of his books.)
      January 15, 2020 1:48 PM MST

Don't be silly.  The only cemeteries where everyone is equal, are military cemeteries.

Private or Church cemeteries?
    Of course you can tell the difference between those who were wealthy and poor.
    Ever hear of a "pauper's graveyard"?  Or seen the mausoleums of the wealthy?
    Those who had many friends tend to have better tended graves than those with none.
      January 15, 2020 2:30 PM MST

True on a practical level; I read it as a philosophical question.
      January 15, 2020 5:29 PM MST

you were born to die - so leave a mark of goodness. It's wonderful if in death that It is well with your soul. This post was edited by Beans - The Silent Generation at January 16, 2020 11:51 AM MST
      January 15, 2020 2:39 PM MST

Death doesn’t equal out what was done in life. A life superbly lived remains thus. 

January 15, 2020 5:08 PM MST

An acquaintance of mine once said, "A hundred years from now, when they dig up the bones, they won't know who wore the rags."
      January 16, 2020 7:29 AM MST

The same can be said of birth.  

There is nothing more helpless than a crying, mewling and puking infant.  

January 16, 2020 8:18 AM MST

Not if some go to heaven and others to hell. However, earthly inequalities may well be reversed. 
      January 16, 2020 10:26 AM MST

The only defining thing is your legacy - the impact you had on others. We still remember and revere people who lived centuries ago because of what they did in life.
      January 16, 2020 11:54 AM MST

A good conscience is the best divinity...
      January 16, 2020 1:48 PM MST

Since I have been a victim of bullies and criminals throughout my youthful days, I enjoy reading the obituaries in the newspaper. Every few years, I see where another of my assailants has died. To me, that's a good deal. Most recently, a guy died who attempted to rob me when I was 14. He and his buddies demanded money from me. Fortunately, a big kid stepped in and saved me from a serious beating. 
      January 16, 2020 12:50 PM MST

It beats lying around doing nothing....:( 
      January 16, 2020 5:56 PM MST