Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » An Aussie friend informs me that his city is known locally as The City of Churches! Is your city known for anything in particular?

An Aussie friend informs me that his city is known locally as The City of Churches! Is your city known for anything in particular?

I think Chicago is known for having the most gun-related murders recently though I"m not positive. I guess many cities are proud of being famous for something. Gilroy, California is known as "The Garlic Capital of the World". What's your city known for mostly?

Posted - January 17, 2020

Responses

London is known as the city of parisites Rosie....it's where every one almost are encourage to rip off any poorer nation in the world and not give a shit about it as long as they abide by the rule of "A Fool and his money are soon parted"   
      January 17, 2020 3:26 AM MST

Seriously D? Geez. I think of London (never having been there) as Harrod's and Big Ben and Royalty and the Palace Guard and Shakespeare and bridges. I think we have an actual London Bridge somewhere in Arizona or California. I think of London as Downton Abbey and Dame Judy Densch and Sir Laurence Olivier and stiff upper lip and noblesse oblige and Princess Diana. I think of proper and contained and controlled and calm surfacely. Though Boris Johnson is a bit of a rogue but an anomaly to me. What do I know? I'm so far away and never having been there I rely on what I've seen in movies or read in books. Sigh. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to thee! :)
      January 17, 2020 5:37 AM MST

All the old buildings in the city are almost gone Rosie...it all high rise glass flat curtain wall god ugly building and the rudest people you've ever come across, ask nealy anyone the way and most likely they will carry on walking and ignore you... mugging ,pick pockets and mobile phone thefts are happing more and more often...

The so called Royal family are just a bunch of freaks and perverts ...Pervert Andrews daughters wedding is costing  two million pound of public money even though the so called Roysl family have billions of their own money just sitting there earning them even more Dosh.....
    They are all a waste of space, Diana had  mentally  health issues and was screwed up by big ears and the rest of them......Ell Presidentie ...Boris the women basher Johnson is just another if our  fat freaks that should be arrested...
    Foget what you read in the papers or what you hear on the news ....our local governments councils now use the public as a cash cow and fine people for the tiniest  misdemeanours  ..
      January 17, 2020 3:17 PM MST

Gosh honey condolences! Once again reality creeps in and throws ice cold water on us. I wonder if there is any country whose leaders are noble honorable just fair and try to do their best FOR THE PEOPLE? Or is that a fairy tale a fantasy pure imagination? Thank you for your detailed account of YOUR reality. I don't know if we are better of knowing what is or were better off not knowing? Thank you for your repy D and Happy Saturday to thee! :)
      January 18, 2020 2:28 AM MST

Better to know so you can take care if your self better if you ever visit Rosie.. 
      January 18, 2020 7:56 AM MST

This town is known for gold.  In fact, they mined 663 metric tonnes from just one of the many mines around here.  Although the mines closed down in the 1950's, this town holds to its historic history.  Some mines were turned into historic parks, others were plowed under.  
      January 17, 2020 10:34 AM MST

There is a certain "romance" to mining towns Shuhak. Imagine digging in the earth and becoming wealthy for your efforts? It must have been an intoxicating time. I know there was a downside to it . Isn't there a downside to everything? Thank you for your reply.
      January 18, 2020 2:30 AM MST

Jeeps and glass.
      January 17, 2020 10:41 AM MST

Thank you for your reply E.
      January 18, 2020 2:30 AM MST

Sun City is the City of SUN.  IN SPADES

Northlake, Illinois was named after North Avenue and Lake Street.

Pompano Beach has to do with the FISH in the Ocean of the same name.

The 3 places I've lived besides Chicago.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 18, 2020 2:35 AM MST
      January 17, 2020 4:50 PM MST

So it's known for being HOT HOT HOT. Which is your favorite place to live? Thank you for your reply Sharon! :)
      January 18, 2020 2:32 AM MST

If the Serbian city of Aranđelovac is known, it is for its water. Many come here trusting the healing properties of the spring, staying at a nice resort within a larger public park. The water is free to drink too, and quite refreshing; one only pays when filling bottles.

Half a year ago I was still in Ghent: people know it for its university. My birth city of Antwerp has Europe's second-largest seaport. Yet all in all I prefer it here in the countryside.
      January 18, 2020 2:43 AM MST

Thank you for a very thoughtful and informative reply DG. I appreciate it! Is it certain minerals in the waters that do the trick? And if so does it taste minerally? You live in Arandelovac now DG? Do you miss Antwerp? I know that every area has its own beauty. Are you happy where you are now? Happy Saturday to the DG!  :):):) Are you a tennis fan by any chance? Novak Djokovic is Serbian and I think he may currently be number one in the world! :)
      January 18, 2020 6:41 AM MST

Hi, Rosie! It must be the minerals in the water, as it naturally tastes alike sparkling water, only less bubbly.

I was fairly eager to leave Antwerp behind in 2012, when I was 18. Even though I have family and old friends there I can't say I very much miss the place itself. But I do carry it everywhere I go--as my parents say of their native Bosnia. Yes, I'd say I'm quite content :) The one thing I'd wish for is to start making a living through writing. For that too, though, this environment has been positive.

People are crazy for Djokovic here! You can hear the most introverted people jumping and shouting to support their 'Nole' (a nickname for Novak). Happy Saturday to thee!
      January 18, 2020 11:07 AM MST