Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Wanna know how dumb dumb don is? He sez he thinks it is UNFAIR that American businessfolk can't BRIBE foreign officials to make deals! YOU?

Wanna know how dumb dumb don is? He sez he thinks it is UNFAIR that American businessfolk can't BRIBE foreign officials to make deals! YOU?

Posted - January 17, 2020

Responses

I agree, actually.
    Bribery is against the law in the US ... but is a way of life in many other nations.
    So why cripple American's doing business in other nations, by saying they are still subject to AMERICAN law in those nations?

Do we prosecute Americans who (say) do drugs in Denmark, which are illegal in the US?
    No.  

January 17, 2020 12:54 PM MST

You support bribery? How about extortion? There is ethical and unethical Walt. There is cheating. There is lying. There is also being honorable having morals and maintaining one's integrity. Different strokes for different folks. Disappointing. Thank you for your reply.
      January 18, 2020 1:39 AM MST

Morals and Ethics are artificial values, decided upon by society.
    As I said, in many countries "greasing the palm" is a way of life.  It is expected, in order to do business.
    Thus, there is nothing immoral or unethical about it in those nations.

So, let's say you have two companies bidding on a construction job.
    One American and one from somewhere else.
    The American firm has a lower bid for better quality - but they aren't allowed to give the officials the expected bribe.
    Who is going to get the job?

Unless the world governments are going to impose sanctions on nations where bribery is expected, in order to force a change ... or support violent overthrow of those governments ... nothing is going to change.  So bribery will remain a way of life in those countries.

This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at January 20, 2020 8:08 AM MST
      January 20, 2020 7:59 AM MST

I see your point Walt. If the playing field is tilted it's no good. There are two ways to make it even. Th preferred way? Honesty in all things. The other way? Do whatever it takes. The end justifies the means. I live in the world where honestly and truth will always trump its opposites. But very few live there with me. So as I said I see your point. SIGH. Thank you for your thoughtful and PATIENT explanation. I see the light but it hurts my eyes too much! Happy Monday! :)
      January 20, 2020 8:11 AM MST

Honest people dislike dishonest ways.  Dishonest people abhor honest ways.  The man has no morals (gee... I wonder why so many of his companies went bankrupt)
      January 17, 2020 3:49 PM MST

I wonder what percent of homo saps are HONEST HONORABLE and what percent aren't Shuhak? Is that a stat impossible to discern determine? How many people support "the end justifies the means"? Do I really want to know? Probably not. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      January 18, 2020 1:41 AM MST

I believe that most people want to be honest.  However, the enticement of what one can get if they're dishonest is strong.  Seeing others getting away with dishonesty and prospering strengthens the enticement even more.  Being honest takes strength of character, and strength of character takes constant effort to uphold.  Being dishonest, however, appears to take much less effort.  The more dishonesty thrives, the more effort it takes to maintain strength of character for those who chose that path.
      January 18, 2020 9:42 AM MST