Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Apparently missiles can cause SHOCK WAVES which can harm homo saps who experience them. How?

Apparently missiles can cause SHOCK WAVES which can harm homo saps who experience them. How?

What do shock waves do that is potentially harmful?

Posted - January 18, 2020

Responses

In a nutshell - Shockwaves are sharp changes in pressure.  The organs in the human body are hollow.   Rapid compression and expansion by a shock wave can rupture these organs.  Ruptured organs means death. 
    Picture a balloon.  Balloons are hollow.  When one adds air to the balloon it expands.  When one lets the air out of a balloon it contracts.  Add  too much air too fast, the balloon ruptures.   Squeeze an inflated balloon hard, the balloon ruptures.  

A bomb kills by 2 ways - the shock wave it produces upon explosion, and shrapnel.
      January 18, 2020 3:12 PM MST

I did not know that Shuhak. Sounds very painful. Thank you for your clear concise explanation. Shock waves are invisible and potentially deadly. Something else to worry about! AARRGGHH! I wonder which hurts more? Death by shock wave or shrapnel? Which death occurs more quickly?
      January 19, 2020 2:27 AM MST

I was going to answer this, but you addressed it very well.

The only thing I will add is to note this is also why bullet wounds can be so damaging. The actual puncture hole created by a bullet may not do too much damage (depending upon where it is), but the shock waves which propagate through body tissues from the bullet make the damage worse and more widespread. This post was edited by SaltyPebble at January 19, 2020 9:57 AM MST
      January 19, 2020 8:43 AM MST

:):):)
      January 19, 2020 9:23 AM MST

They will knock you on your a**. They usually accompany strong winds...like a tsunami of air. Another thing...it isn't the missile that causes the shock wave. It is the explosion of the warhead. This post was edited by Element 99 at January 19, 2020 9:23 AM MST
      January 19, 2020 8:41 AM MST

Well that would be painful bcause I don't have much Rosie there. Kinda flat but I can't think of anywhere else with a lot of meat on it so I guess my butt will have to do. Is it painful? Thank you for your reply E! :)
      January 19, 2020 9:25 AM MST

I take it we are talking about military missiles with conventional warheads?

I would ask the situation that might give rise to such a danger; and what causes the shock-wave.

Assuming nothing to obstruct or concentrate it, a shock wave in air spreads as sound, and at the same speed; and generally speaking its intensity decreases by an inverse-square law.

For example, if it has a certain peak pressure at 100 yards from the source, the pressure at 200 yards is reduced to not half, but to one-quarter of that; and at 400 yards, one-eighth; and so on.

That will apply whether the shock-wave is from the missile flying at above the speed of sound (breaking the sound-barrier) of from the explosion of the warhead, so what are we talking about here? The hazard posed by the missile flying close to the people who launched it, or the blast from the weapon itself? 
      January 21, 2020 5:07 PM MST

(400 yards...1/16th.)
      January 21, 2020 5:10 PM MST

Why would the missile "fly close to the people who launched it"? Surely there are safeguards against that kind of risk aren't there? The people at whom the missile is directed. They are damaged by the shock waves in some way as it passes over them? It sends shock waves as it moves through the air correct?. Once it hits its target the reverberations will also send shock waves too right? If the people who launch the missile are going to be at risk that makes no sense to me Durdle. Thank you for your helpful reply. :)
      January 22, 2020 3:47 AM MST