Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What kinda guy d'ya want for YOUR prez? Jovial, irascible, sensible/calm? Why?

What kinda guy d'ya want for YOUR prez? Jovial, irascible, sensible/calm? Why?

Posted - January 23, 2020

Responses

I want on who will pass the policies I agree with. The rest is fluff.
      January 23, 2020 6:50 AM MST

I am dubious about your claim. Or, I think you are honest about wanting a president who will do what you prefer. But what a mountain of evidence suggests is the policies your fellow travelers state they want have only a tangential relationship to the policies they actually want.
      January 23, 2020 7:00 AM MST

I am prolife
    Pro 2nd amendment
    Pro Religious freedom
    Pro lower taxes 
    Pro secure border
    Pro Trade that benefits America

And I am very happy with Trump's policies on these. 

This post was edited by my2cents at January 23, 2020 9:51 AM MST
      January 23, 2020 9:49 AM MST

You are not pro caring pro helping pro kindness pro fairness pro honor pro patriotism pro intelligence pro honesty pro being trustworthy pro being supportive pro being transparent pro being humane?
    Well you certainly got what you need in dumb don. More's the pity.
      January 23, 2020 12:42 PM MST

Of course I am. I was listing policies. 
    And yes I get those from Trump as well by his being a rare politcian who actually does the things he claimed during campaign. 
      January 23, 2020 12:45 PM MST

Thank you for proving my point.

Pro-life: There are countries with similar rates of pre-marital/non-marital sex as the United States, yet they have MUCH lower rates of unwanted pregnancy compared to the United States. Yet, the "pro-life" movement NEVER talks about that.

Pro-2nd-Amendment: That's somewhere between meaningless twaddle and dog whistle for "The Evil Commie Democraps will take away your guns and round you up into FEMA camps." Other than the short-lived and very leaky "assault weapons" ban, gun regulations have been almost monotonically weakened since the 1970s. The 2nd Amendment has been and will continue to be fine.

Pro-religious-freedom: Once again, somewhere between meaningless twaddle and dog whistle for "We want to be able to publicly hate gay people without being criticized." Let me know when you and your fellow travelers lift a finger to protect the religious freedoms of Muslims, Satanists, Zoroastrians, Sihks, etc. Then I'll believe it.

Pro-lower taxes: Again, meaningless twaddle. When I pointed out your praise of the Trump economy, which includes MASSIVE deficit spending, was not consistent with "conservative" economic principles, you hand-waved away the objection. Since any tax cut without a corresponding spending cut is merely a tax deferment and arguably a tax INCREASE because taxes must be raised to cover the interest and principal of the borrowing necessitated by the tax "cut", you do not actually seem to care about lower taxes in any real way.

Pro secure border: Being in favor of Trump's border wall is NOT the same thing as being in favor of a secure border. There are numerous analyses which show the border wall is a wasteful boondoggle which will do little to stop illegal immigration. Moreover, Trump had a deal to spend $25 billion on his (useless) Wall, if he would extend protection to DACA immigrants. But that wasn't good enough for him, so he scuttled the deal and managed to steal $5 billion from military spending (Why does he hate the troops?). Yet we have yet to see a criticism from you (or almost anyone who shares your views) for Trump messing up so badly.

Pro-American-benefit-trade: Here again, being in favor of randomly-fired tariffs which do nothing but hurt American businesses and American consumers is NOT the same thing as having an actual informed position on trade policy. Unless your definition of "pro-American trade" is "Let's give Archer Daniels Midland and Con-Agra $40 billion in taxpayer bailouts to make up for all the money they lost when China stopped buying US agricultural goods." Is THAT your definition of "Pro trade that benefits America?" Really?

Given that all of your stated political preferences have little or nothing to do with the actual policies implemented which supposedly comport to your preferences, I think the evidence suggests you have other motivations going on here. This post was edited by SaltyPebble at January 23, 2020 6:12 PM MST
      January 23, 2020 6:09 PM MST

:):):)
      January 23, 2020 12:35 PM MST

No particular concerns for the "fluff" contained in the US Constitution or the importance of maintaining our democracy?

Harvard law professor Laurence Tribe was asked: Do you think people are overstating the threat that one man can Pose to the Republic?

No, I think the framers knew, and we are now seeing that even one man-if he is not dedicated to the country--- but dedicated to his own fame and wealth and backed up by a political party that has signed on for the ride can pose an existential threat. It's, in a sense one man. It's also, in a sense, one man and millions who back him up.

January 23, 2020 11:07 AM MST

:):):)
      January 23, 2020 12:42 PM MST

I did not say the Constitution is fluff. 
    I am talking about those who value style over policies in politics. I do not care who it is said or how it is Tweeted, as long as what I support is getting done. 
    If a politican is doing what his/her supporters voted for them to do, they are certainly not only looking out for themselves.
      January 23, 2020 1:08 PM MST

Your comment was "the rest is fluff."

Are you not familiar with the comprehension and the extension of the word "rest" when preceded by the definite articled "the?"

If I am going the wrong way and I convince you to come along (as Trump has done with his supporters) would you say that I am certainly not looking out for myself? 

January 24, 2020 1:16 PM MST

You adore dumb don so I guess he passed that test m2c. Thank you for your reply.
      January 23, 2020 12:36 PM MST

I don't vote for a person based on their character and personality, I vote for them based on policies that will do what is best for this Republic and its citizens. 
      January 23, 2020 7:46 AM MST

And you really think that character is not a primary determinant of what a person does?

Would you vote for Machiavelli just because he understood the benefits of "free" trade? because he liked to personally buy imported wine without paying the tariffs it might otherwise have?

The results of deciding to vote on policies only is the major cause of many of the problems the US is currently having---

And in my considered opinion exemplifies a false practicality that is dangerous shortcut to choosing someone who is actually properly qualified to fill an elected office. This post was edited by tom jackson at January 23, 2020 11:22 AM MST
      January 23, 2020 11:21 AM MST

I would have expected nothing less than that from you ru. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday to ya! :)
      January 23, 2020 12:37 PM MST

I want Bernie.  PERIOD.

(6 Pack) Jovial Organic Einkorn Penne Rigate, 12 Oz
      January 23, 2020 10:33 AM MST

Noted Sharon. It may come to pass. Thank you for your reply. What is the fiber content of the portion that is 9g of protein per serving. Fiber counts. Fiber rocks. I always read that first. This post was edited by RosieG at January 23, 2020 12:39 PM MST
      January 23, 2020 12:38 PM MST

• I want someone who isn't in it for him or herself .. but to really work for the American people and democracy.   Of course, I'd love to see a woman hold that office before I die.  But I don't want just any woman .. to have one.  Sadly, politics and money govern who gets elected.  That seldom results in anyone who is interested in anything more than being re-elected.
      January 23, 2020 1:05 PM MST