Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Education » Do you remember who taught you how to read?

Do you remember who taught you how to read?

The only thing I remember is when entering first grade, I could read and none of the other students could. Who taught me is still a mystery. It could have been my oldest sister, but I never asked her and she has been out of contact with the rest of us for decades.

Posted - January 24, 2020

Responses

I can't remember who it was but I bet I had a crush on them because I had crushes on all my teachers. I wish I knew then what I know now because if the teacher would have caught me eye balling her and said - my vowels are up here I would of said - ya but my dangling modifiers are down here. Cheers
      January 24, 2020 1:08 PM MST

(Comma after the word “now”.)
    (eyeballing is one word, not two)
    (Comma after the word “said”.)
    (Instead of a dash, open quotation mark.)
    (would of have said)
    (Close quotation mark.)
    (Instead of a dash, open quotation mark.)
    (Close quotation mark.)

Cheers da blaw blaw!

January 24, 2020 2:21 PM MST

Da blaw blaw X2
      January 24, 2020 3:26 PM MST

Shouldn’t that be x 8?  Once for each error.

___
      January 24, 2020 4:36 PM MST

Wait till you get a load of mine.  Have at it.  
      January 24, 2020 5:20 PM MST

• I can't remember exactly who taught me, but I remember knowing how to read some words before I went to school.  I have a feeling it was from my parents reading to me.  What an interesting question ... I never really gave this much thought.
      January 24, 2020 1:33 PM MST

• I was also an early reader. I already knew how to read when I started kindergarten and was ahead of many of the other kids. My parents taught me, but I do not remember the exact circumstances. I just know they used to read to me but also bought me a lot of "beginner" books that helped. 
      January 24, 2020 2:05 PM MST

My mother. She is an English major* and she taught us to read before we went to kindergarten. I remember that same phenomenon that you experienced; knowing how to read and not all of the other children knew how.  At the time, I thought nothing of it, I didn’t grasp its significance. 

*Not a major in England’s armed forces, a college-level in the discipline-subject of the English language.
    ~
      January 24, 2020 2:15 PM MST

I did think something of it and I was extremely bored. I was thrilled when my aunt bought me a set of science books. I finally had something to read. I guess I could have asked the teacher if I could bring them to school, but in the 50s you didn't question adults about such things.
      January 24, 2020 2:42 PM MST

I remember my mom reading Hardy Boy mysteries to my brother and I ... and looking at the book as we were sitting on either side of her.  And then one day, I realized I was reading ahead of her and waiting for her to turn the page.  So I guess she unwittingly taught me to read.  lol
      January 24, 2020 2:29 PM MST

My mom taught me by the time I was 3.  She did so utilizing flashcards, oodles of Dr. Seuss books, and magnetic letters.  By the time I went to kindergarten I was reading at a 2nd grade level, so the teacher let me read to the other students.
      January 24, 2020 2:49 PM MST

Gee...isn't it amazing how parents can influence a child? It's also sadly amazing how many of my high school students couldn't read at a forth grade level. I wonder why.
      January 24, 2020 4:56 PM MST

My mom. She started with flash cards when I was only two, and would sit there drilling them until I memorized every sound combinations the letters made. I read well before the rest of age group. 
      January 24, 2020 4:46 PM MST

I have no recollection of not being able to read. I'm sure somebody had to teach me, but I have no recollection of the process (This is not unusual. I have poor memory for life events).

I do recall that by 1st grade I was reading my brother's 6th grade science book. I probably didn't understand all of it, but I remember enjoying reading it.
      January 24, 2020 5:13 PM MST

My mom told me I knew my ABC's by 2 1/2 but by now a day standards, that is paltry indeed.   Indigo children are on the planet and they are super smart.

Anyway, my mother paid attention to me and taught me well.  By the time I was in kindergarten, I knew how to read pretty well.  I used to go to the library weekly for funsies.  It was a pleasure to learn to read and learn that way.  
      January 24, 2020 5:18 PM MST

What is an Indigo child?

~
      January 24, 2020 5:28 PM MST

I learned in first grade at school.  I have not one memory of my mother helping me with anything academic.
      January 24, 2020 5:25 PM MST

I was smarter than my mother. And many teachers.
      January 25, 2020 8:45 AM MST

Well, you got your intelligence from your mother.  :)  My mother has high intelligence.  She's kooky but smart.  :)

January 25, 2020 4:12 PM MST

I learned in first grade from Sister Rose Anita. I remember it well and how exciting it was as I learned more and more words.
      January 24, 2020 8:07 PM MST

January 25, 2020 7:44 AM MST

• I wish I could remember someone effectivly  teaching me math.

If x = 69 and Twinkle is a dink, then what do you get when the glass is half full?

UGH!
      January 24, 2020 8:42 PM MST