Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Why do some people care so much about politics?

Why do some people care so much about politics?

You’re damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Every politician is corrupt in some way. Life is too short to spend it worrying about things you can’t control. That’s my opinion, at least.

Posted - January 31, 2020

Responses

I've always wondered that too but it seems like the people who live, eat and breathe politics are the people who either agree with liberals on every single issue or agree with conservatives on every single issue.  Politics doesn't seem to be as important to people who are liberal with some issues or conservative with other issues but maybe it's because there's not a major party that represents their views.
      January 31, 2020 7:42 PM MST

Yes, it does seem that way. I consider myself conservative on an economic level and totally liberal and progressive on a social one. I realize that one president or political figure has little power in the end. All I can do is live life the way I want it to be, cast my votes, and realize that progress takes time. 
      February 1, 2020 5:18 AM MST

I can only agree 110% with you ... 
      January 31, 2020 8:18 PM MST

Entertainment value. One can feel involved. 
      February 1, 2020 12:05 AM MST

I guess that makes sense. I find politics boring, so I can’t relate to that interest, but we all have our preferences. 
      February 1, 2020 5:18 AM MST

In my opinion, the unfortunate thing is that many people who spout off the loudest about politics are sadly uninformed in any intelligent way about a broad overview of the issues, and are more inclined to knee-jerk reactions to any soundbites that support their own positions and to attack any soundbites that support their opponents’ positions. The “care” about politics that they exhibit is often manifested in spastics rants, viscous finger-pointing, juvenile name-calling and holier-than-thou attitudes. Their own pony in the race is a vaunted saint, omni-intelligent visionary, caring/kindhearted/selfless public servant, while the other pony is a hateful bigot, ignoramus, blithering fool and/or greedy hog.  

~
      February 1, 2020 12:51 AM MST

Yes, that is very true. I admit that I am uninformed about a lot of political issues myself, and I don’t spend hours researching them. That’s why I often prefer to stay out of these discussions and realize that there is more to what’s going on than meets the eye and no single politician has any real power to do much about it. All I can do is live life the way I think it should be lived. 
      February 1, 2020 5:21 AM MST

I think there's nothing wrong with being uninformed and remaining silent, it’s when those who know nothing or know very little bellow at others that gets me. What’s worse is those who don’t vote yet complain about outcomes, or those who don’t participate then complain that no one does anything. 

~
      February 1, 2020 9:57 AM MST

:)
      February 19, 2020 7:14 AM MST

It strikes a chord with them. I suggest maybe it makes them FEEL informed or relevant, or somehow more involved. I don’t think there is any dispute that blustering about politics provides an outlet for their frustrations. There is much to be said that politics is so forcibly imposed upon our psyches as ”front page/top stories“, whether actually deserving or not. 

I think any rational examination would reveal the powers-that-be in politics have [always and traditionally] made a great effort of manipulating and marginalizing whatever influence the citizen masses (or their opinions) really have in political matters. 

Regardless, the powers-that-be within the media, ravenous for viewership and subscribers, are complicit in the unrelenting saturation of our discourse. Elevating a contrived importance, IMO, and we are hard pressed to avoid contact with it. 

February 1, 2020 5:56 AM MST

• We can control politicians though.  That's why we have to vote.  
    I was never really into politics ... until recently.  It's so easy to just ignore all of it and go about our own business.  But currently, our entire democracy is being upended.  We can't turn a blind eye to that .. it's no longer something that will go away.  

February 1, 2020 9:48 AM MST