Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » A member here recently asked a question about guacamole. Why don't you like it? It seems most here don't.

A member here recently asked a question about guacamole. Why don't you like it? It seems most here don't.

Posted - February 2, 2020

Responses

Not liking guacamole is beyond my comprehension---somethings are beyond my understanding (and that keeps me humble).
      February 2, 2020 3:09 PM MST

• Bunch of weirdo‘s on this site, I like it. 
      February 2, 2020 3:09 PM MST

Here is your prize...

February 2, 2020 3:12 PM MST

• Best prize EVA! 
      February 2, 2020 3:13 PM MST

The boy or the avacado? Dang, I could make a giant bowl of guac with that.
      February 2, 2020 3:17 PM MST

• Lol, the avocado.....I’m going to name it George. 
      February 2, 2020 3:18 PM MST

• I grew up in California. You don’t live here and dislike it.
      February 2, 2020 6:53 PM MST

• nice :)
      February 2, 2020 6:55 PM MST

I live in California at about fifteen minute’s driving distance north of the US border with Mexico, and about thirty minutes to the west of me is the Pacific Ocean. I’ve been here since the  mid 1990s when I left military service, so I’m definitely not a native Californian. I do not have any distinct memories of avocados/guacamole being known to me as I was growing up, so I can’t say whether or not  was exposed to them then. I have tried them both and find them to be undecidedly horrid. I do not disparage nor discourage others who like them, I merely decline to eat them myself. I don’t claim that other people should follow my lead and dislike them, and I do not claim that one’s origins and/or environs and/or locale and/or upbringing should determine the foods he or she likes. 

~
      February 3, 2020 5:57 PM MST

I love it. 
      February 2, 2020 3:42 PM MST

It's just plain nasty!  gag!!
      February 2, 2020 4:02 PM MST

It tastes bad.
      February 2, 2020 4:08 PM MST

One extremely annoying aspect of human interaction is when person A likes something and therefore assumes that person B should or has to like it also. I’m not accusing you of having done that by posting this question, I’m merely repeating my stance on the issue of personal likes and dislikes. 

I find the taste, smell, sight, and texture of both avocado and guacamole to be unpleasant. I simply don’t like them, barring any explanation that might satisfy another person. I don’t even believe any explanation is necessary, because the sane could be asked of any person about a food or beverage he finds not to his liking. 

There are certain foods that you do not like, do not eat, do not prefer. Some of them you have tried, others you just know you don’t like them or that you don’t even want to try them. I am the same way. If you like avocado and/or guacamole, fine. If you and I were to discuss lists of ALL the foods that I like, it’s entirely possible that we’d eventually arrive at one or some that you do not like. If it’s interesting to you to debate the reasons, that would be a one-sided part of the conversation. 
    ~

February 2, 2020 4:33 PM MST

I agree with you 100%. I have been saying for years that I don't have to explain why I want, like or dislike something. I had a debate about that with that member who hangs out in a corner. I wonder, if subliminally, that's why I asked the question. Thanks. This post was edited by Element 99 at February 2, 2020 7:00 PM MST
      February 2, 2020 6:09 PM MST

I couldn't help but think of my fondness for this song, after reading your comment there - -the song starts at about 0:55 mark. :) I always equate the song with Lesley-Anne Warren (sp?) here -- I remember watching this when I was young.

"In my own little corner, in my own little chair, I can be whatever I want to be . . ."

EDIT: never mind, it won't post -- but here's a link if you want;  great song and performance to me, "In My Own Little Corner" from Cinderella - - a production made-for-TV, I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Nr-IIvuTo

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 3, 2020 12:32 PM MST
      February 2, 2020 7:04 PM MST

That reminds me of something from back in my single days, when I was a young Marine living in the barracks with my platoon mates. Being young men fresh out of high school and deeply ensconced in that testosterone-ridden environment with its über locker room mentality, there was an assumption among them that all males should be only be attracted to women with humongous, enormous, bulbous, gargantuan breasts and butts, and who were slutty and flashy. Even at that age, I had never been, nor at any later time in my life have I ever been attracted to women like that. I not only withheld any apologetic stance, I went further in proudly announcing that I had no obligation to account for nor explain my preferences for petite, less endowed, and demure women. 

~

February 3, 2020 12:21 AM MST

• I love it. Uncultured swine. 
      February 2, 2020 6:52 PM MST

I love the stuff. I have been binging on it tonight while “watching” the game. 
      February 2, 2020 6:57 PM MST

It FEELS horrible in my mouth.

It looks disgusting to me.

It tastes disgusting to me.

And Randy D has said it SO much better than I just did. :)

He and I started the WeHateGuacClub. 

:)

Image result for black man and white man smiling together
    This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 3, 2020 4:32 PM MST
      February 2, 2020 6:58 PM MST

Hey, wait, is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

February 2, 2020 11:19 PM MST

Well, let's just check and see . . . 
      February 3, 2020 6:52 AM MST

I like guacamole, but I can understand why others might not.  The way certain foods look when they're prepared has a lot to do with preferences, too.  I cannot abide the look, smell or taste of oatmeal, Wheatina or Farina.  I gag just thinking about it cooking in the pot.  I would never even consider eating tripe.
      February 3, 2020 9:24 AM MST

• When I was a kid, my Mom forced me to eat avocado .. for some odd reason.  I hated the taste then and now.  Yech.
      February 3, 2020 2:02 PM MST

• I love it, but then I enjoy a lot of gross things.
      February 3, 2020 4:33 PM MST