Active Now

Element 99
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Those who desperately want the job of president compete for it. Might we get a better president if the selection were RANDOM?

Those who desperately want the job of president compete for it. Might we get a better president if the selection were RANDOM?

If you want something TOO MUCH you will do anything to get it. Maybe it's the wanting too much that
is the spoiler. We've done it the same way for centuries. Why not try something different?

Posted - February 4, 2020

Responses

If 10 people wanted 1 job and they chose the new employee by random, the winner may not be the most qualified for the position.

Problem is, while many might want to try for the position, only those with lots of money are allowed to compete.  Money isn't a good measure of ones suitability for a job.  Unfortunately we, the actual hiring committee, aren't allowed to choose from applicants who don't have "X" amount of $$$.  We only get to see the heavily doctored resumes of the affluent.   Worse yet, many on the hiring committee dont look at the applicants resume in depth, rather they go by the one who has the flashyent font (meaning their political ads - mailed or TV).  Some don't even look at the resume .  They simply choose the one who's in their party.   No one hires a person for a "everyday" job like that, yet this is how we chose a president.  Strange.
      February 4, 2020 12:43 PM MST

I'm going to tell you something you already know Being "the most qualified" doesn't in any way guarantee such person will DO THE BEST JOB. Maybe totally random would give us better. We have never tried that so how do we know it couldn't work to our advantage? SIGH. At this point I am reaching in desperation for any straw that might possibly keep us from drowning. We hire people we "like". They may not do the best job either. You can never KNOW how anyone will perform a job until he/she performs the job and then well as in the case of don it's way too late. Of course the MAJORITY (66 million) KNEW he wasn't going to do a good job. the MINORITY (63 million?) preferred him to Hillary and they didn't give a dam* if he could do the job or not. They hated her so he was all that was left to them. That's a lousy way to "select by default" a president. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! Just got our Primary ballots today. Now we have to CHOOSE whom we want to be the Dem candidate. How can we do that now? Another crapshoot? Oy vey! :( This post was edited by RosieG at February 4, 2020 5:05 PM MST
      February 4, 2020 1:21 PM MST

You have a point.  Getting the money out of it it might make it better as well (pre and post election).

I haven't got my ballot yet.   The county says they had "issues" and that they should come out later this week.  In fact, I haven't even received my sample ballot either, although my mom got her's last week.   She gets a republican ballot.  There are 6 people reuung against trump on the rep. ticket.   I wonder if any of those names are actually real?
      February 4, 2020 5:16 PM MST

There was no Sample ballot Shuhak. What we got is what we will submit. It says OFFICIAL BALLOT. There are TWENTY names listed as running for president some of whom I have never heard of! It is a very weird ballot. Your mom received a sample ballot and she is a REPUBLICAN? That alone is scary. Why would a registered Republican get one but a Democrat doesn't? Geez! This entire "sanctity of our elections" thing is more than shaky. We can be hacked sabotaged at any level these days. Hijacked ballots that are changed. Electronic votes that are gimmicked with. How do we know that how we voted is what's counted an not counterfeited? I don't remember ever being worried about that. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to you! :) Hi there! We just received the Voter Guide for the March 3 election DAYS AFTER we received the Official ballot. Weird that! FYI! This post was edited by RosieG at February 6, 2020 3:21 AM MST
      February 5, 2020 12:40 AM MST

No, my mom's not a republican.  She actually has no party preference.  When my parents got married in the 50's, my dad registered as a democrat and my mom a republican.  That way they could get literature form both parties in an effort to make a good decision.  

Strange.  there's alway s a sample ballot - even for the counties with mail-in voting.  But who knows... maybe they've wised up and are conserving resources. 
      February 5, 2020 9:46 AM MST

Not this time. And I'll tell you I am perplexed puzzled bewitched bothered bewildered!  20 names? Seriously? Isn't there some kind of requirement they have to meet to get listed on a ballot? It's crazy. I do not KNOW at this moment for whom I'm gonna vote. March 3 isn't that far away. We vote by mail. What to do what to do what do? Beats me. Sigh. I hope you're in a better place vis a vis for whom you want to vote. Right now I'm nowhere. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 5, 2020 1:33 PM MST
      February 5, 2020 9:58 AM MST

Some may not still be running by the time we vote.
      February 5, 2020 1:34 PM MST

I think having a passion for the job is a necessity---but why you have that passion might be important when considering your qualifications for performing it well.
      February 4, 2020 1:20 PM MST

How can you have a passion for a job you've never done tom? You can have a passion for strawberry jam if and only if you've tasted it. Anything less than and it is simply pie-in-the sky opining. Now of course strawberry jam and being prez are not remotely related. But I think you get the point. Have you ever wanted a job, got it and then found to your great disappointment it wasn't what you thought it would be? If anyone has a passion to be president it can't be for selfless do-gooder reasons. What greater prestige is there than that? Or at least that's how it used to be. Anymore being prez means nothing since you can obviously be cheated into it with no apparent consequences. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 5, 2020 12:41 AM MST
      February 4, 2020 1:26 PM MST

The passion comes from what advantage the job gives me in effecting change that I deem either essential or even just necessary---and fortunately my motivations are somewhat more principled than Trump's.

I occasionally take on responsibilities (jobs) that I am the best qualified for by far; but have no real interest in beyond the realization that not only must the job be done, but that it is important that it also be done correctly.

Like President Johnson said, "I will not seek, nor will I accept, the Democratic nomination for President."

I definitely had a passion for fig preserves way before I tried them---because I liked figs, and I was absolutely convinced they would be good.

It turns out that I was right to be passionate.

But I get your point---.

February 4, 2020 1:39 PM MST

Figs of all things? We used to have a fig tree in our backyard when I was a kid growing up. I remember we used to just reach out, pick one, peel it and eat it! I think figs are a very delicious fruit but when was the last time you found any fresh figs in a grocery store? As for fig jam it never occurred to me that there was such a thing. I have never seen fig jam anywhere. I suspect it would be found in import stores or the upscale ones like Whole Foods or Bristol Farms or Jorgensens. Fancy stores I've been in and adored but the prices were a bit, well, pricey. I grew up with figs. Ever had the dried fruit version? Being of Armenian ancestry it's just something we always have around. Maybe in the OLD COUNTRY there are a lot of fig trees! I just giggled. ODE TO THE FIG! I think I need to drink some more coffee and get a grip. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 7, 2020 11:48 AM MST
      February 5, 2020 12:47 AM MST

My grandfather frequently bought the dried figs from abroad and heated them on the stove in water and honey and served them occasionally at breakfast.

When I was a kid, we could buy "Kadota figs" in a glass jar in a "simple" syrup.

Pretty much all I've ever had are the Greek dried fruit.

Fig jam is ubiquitous in my area.
      February 7, 2020 11:54 AM MST

I shall have to look when I go to Sprouts. Our kinda sorta mebbe upscale health food store. Thank you for your reply tom. Dried figs heated in water and honey? OMG it sounds awesome! I like dried figs and fresh figs but I ate them "straight" not fancied up. Water and honey? I'm gonna buy some dried which I know they have at Sprouts and try the water/honey version. Also I will read every label of every jam they have. Never did so before. Fig jam may have always been there. They've got an entire aisle of jams nuts butters and the like! Happy Friday! :)
      February 7, 2020 12:07 PM MST

We have Sprouts grocery in North Texas, but the stores are relatively small and do not seem to carry what in our area are slow moving items---but I have never look for fig preserves at that store.

Somebody gave my wife a jar of the fig preserves recently for some casual reason that I can't recall.  Before that, it had been a good 10 years before I had had any---they are very good, but also very sweet.

They water and honey is to taste---you can reduce the liquid as much as you like when you cook them.

And I also very much enjoy the dried figs plain as well.

February 7, 2020 1:55 PM MST

Our Sprouts started out very small but moved to a HUGE new location several years ago. It took over a former ALBERTSON's and I will tell you I can spend hours there going up and down the aisles reading all the labels, ingredients lists, whatevers. I am happiest surrounded by food. It perks me up if I'm feeling puny. We'll visit our Sprouts next week and I already have a list building. Betcha you can guess. Dried Figs. Fig Jam. A good beginning. That honeyed fig sounds like what ambrosia must be like. Silky smooth and luscious on the palate. Boy oh boy chatting with any FOODIE at any level makes me so happy. Thank you for your reply tom. If I discover anything of interest there I'll share it with you! I just had a thought. Figs honey water. Wouldn't that make a jam if cooked long enough? Mebbe I'll give it shot. Look up FIG JAM on the internet. Oh boy a research project! WHOOPEE! :) This post was edited by RosieG at February 7, 2020 2:09 PM MST
      February 7, 2020 2:06 PM MST

If it moved into an old Albertson's building, it is definitely a larger store than we typically have here. 
      February 7, 2020 2:10 PM MST

Yep! Lucky me! :)
      February 7, 2020 2:17 PM MST