Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » What is something or some kind of things that you believe would be impossible to invent?

What is something or some kind of things that you believe would be impossible to invent?

Eg.. a device that can video record a person's dreams during their sleep time. 

Posted - February 6, 2020

Responses

A crime investigation process that shows what a murder victim saw and heard during the last sixty seconds before being killed.

Commercial jetliners with comfortable legroom between the seats he the seats in the coach/economy section (that would also be cost-effective vis-a-vis the airline industry’s profit margin).

A transporter-type mechanism that would function by isolating cancer cells and removing them from the body without radiation and without all of the other negative side effects of chemotherapy. 

~
    This post was edited by Randy D at August 19, 2020 9:57 AM MDT
      February 6, 2020 5:32 AM MST

Unfortunately, dehydrated water.
      February 6, 2020 7:27 AM MST

A cure for stupidity. 
      February 6, 2020 5:17 PM MST

Actually, there actually are cures -

but the "stupid" person needs first to acknowledge that they need and want to be more intelligent,
    and then put the effort into learning how.

Edward de Bono designed a curriculum which is now taught in schools in 20 countries
    and has written many books, cheap and widely available, which teach thinking skills.

Even when a person has a neurological problem that gives them an intellectual disability, because of the plasticity of the brain, it is always possible to learn how to observe and think more effectively.

A good brain works in exactly the same way as fit, strong, supple muscles do; the answer is always in how we exercise what we have.

There are many factors in the education system and the media which encourage emotional addiction to pursuits which dumb down the population.
      February 6, 2020 7:28 PM MST

'Stupidity' doesn't necessarily denote a lack of education, rather a lack of common sense.  
      February 6, 2020 10:21 PM MST

I assert that this is the same thing.
    What we call common sense is the result of observation and deduction. 
    We perceive certain patterns via our senses - such as the ways gravity and heat behave - and we learn how to take advantage or avoid the hazards. This is exactly how all thinking skills work.
    But take a highly practical city person out of his or her environment, plonk them on a farm - and you'll soon discover how little "common sense" they have. The tractor will get bogged or stuck straddled over a log hidden in long grass, or tipped over. The firewood will not be stashed in a dry place before winter sets in. The gutters will not be cleaned and so the tank water will cause terrible gut problems that respond to no known antibiotics.
    The truth is that what we normally call common sense is the result of long term adaptation to our environment - and some people fail at that for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes it is "stupidity" - sometimes it's the result of early trauma, or neurological disorders, or moving to an unfamiliar environment and culture. Almost always, it's due to not knowing the necessary facts. Hence, in my view, education makes a huge difference - not just at school but throughout one's life.

P.S. IMO, education is not about top-down imparting info. It's about the willingness to actively seek knowledge and learn. This post was edited by inky at February 7, 2020 9:18 AM MST
      February 6, 2020 10:45 PM MST

Isn't it more a lack of brain cells?
      February 7, 2020 8:51 AM MST

Along the lines of your idea...
    a device that can unerringly hear and reveal what people think and feel.

Scary.
    I'm mighty glad that such a device could not be invented.
      February 6, 2020 7:31 PM MST

I would like something like that just for my own personal use and try to evaluate the nature of my subconscious. 
      February 6, 2020 8:29 PM MST

• Given enough time

enough knowledge
    enough tenacity
    enough money
    enough help
    I don't believe there is anything we can't accomplish.

As recorded in Bible scripture, even the Lord himself looked down from Heaven upon the accomplishments of man at the Tower of Babel under the guidance of King Nebuchadnezzar and proclaimed this to the citizens of Heaven...

Genesis 11:6  The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them.
      February 6, 2020 7:40 PM MST

Building the pyramids,  now there is a mystery how they accomplished that feat.
      February 6, 2020 8:33 PM MST

Perhaps a device that allowed you to review your entire life, start to finish, and edit it, delete, or cut and paste, the iffy bits, and stitch it seamlessly back together again as though the new and improved version is how it was in the first place and there was never any other. 
      August 19, 2020 8:22 AM MDT