Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Communication » The police alphabet – `alpha`, `bravo`, `Charlie` etc. Why is it those words? Why not `apple`, `banana`, `Clementine` etc?

The police alphabet – `alpha`, `bravo`, `Charlie` etc. Why is it those words? Why not `apple`, `banana`, `Clementine` etc?

Posted - September 11, 2016

Responses

That's the military phonetic alphabet you've referenced. Even though there are some police agencies that use it, most others find it easier to use names: Andy Ben Charles David Edward Frank . . .

~
      September 11, 2016 3:05 PM MDT

Not where I come from, Randy.

September 11, 2016 3:07 PM MDT

That was the army alphabet, and they didn't ask anybody's advice, they just did it the army way. The cops copied the army way, because cops are wannabe army dudes. That's why they collect tanks and stuff to control non-violent protests.

September 11, 2016 3:09 PM MDT

I am not interested in the cops who are wannabe army dudes. I only like female cops anyway.

September 11, 2016 3:12 PM MDT

• It's international not police... Also the words are chosen to have as few syllables as possible and to be unique sounding to avoid confusion

September 11, 2016 3:15 PM MDT

The alphabet you are reciting originated with NATO in the 1950s and was tested among 31 different nationalities. Prior to that, different military forces used different alphabet codewords.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet

Some police forces use a different phonetic alphabet, beginning with Adam, Boy, Charles, David.... One can assume it was designed for English-speaking police forces, with comprehension across different languages no being a consideration.

http://www.copquest.org/academy/files/phonetic.PDF

September 11, 2016 3:17 PM MDT

Because it was someone's job to come up with that alphabet and this is what he came up with. 

September 11, 2016 4:11 PM MDT

•   September 11, 2016 4:27 PM MDT