Active Now

Flint Ironstag
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Education » An ethical dilemma? What would you do? Really just asking for thoughts and input..(Warning long and potentially boring!)

An ethical dilemma? What would you do? Really just asking for thoughts and input..(Warning long and potentially boring!)

Struggling with a dilemma, it's not real important but I can't seem to take action on it...

So, just a day or two ago I learned I passed my qualification, the culmination of 4 years work. The final element of the qualification was a final externally assessed assignment - marked by an examiner. I had my last assignment referred, (i.e. failed!) 2x and only passed on the 3rd attempt. Herein lies my dilemma - I KNOW that my first submission should have passed, I met the criteria! And the reasons they claimed it didn't meet the criteria were spurious and unsupportable and I also have evidence of inconsistent/unfair marking, e.g. a friend showed me her submission where she passed a question I didn't pass even though she had less explanation and 'concepts' and I passed one she didn't even though both our logs were identical in format.. 

I tackled this at the time by literally giving them what they wanted.. regardless of whether I thought they were wrong, 2nd submission failed on again a very debatable point, a matter of conjecture rather than point but again I just did what they asked, removed the point they disagreed with..  But it shouldn't have failed!

Now to my dilemma, it was 'odd' that I failed at all, let alone 2x because I am actually  very good at the academic side and have previously been praised by the awarding body as working above the required standard... so technically speaking I shouldn't have failed and it should have been relatively easy to pass the last module, which was mainly about my *experience*.  All my other peers have also failed their last assignment, again for quite spurious reasons..  And when I asked the college, they said that the pass rate first time is 22% which is really pretty dire! After all we are all trained students who do know their subject at this level.. 

Should I complain?  I am torn between, feeling relieved and thankful I *have* passed, thinking OK, so I am ok now so leave it.. and worrying, I have friends who will be sitting this module next Jan-March.. and I believe I have evidence that their marking is unfair and inconsistent and that there were things they should not have failed me on.. So shouldn't I try to help others and spare them this nightmare injustice of marking unfairly? 

Posted - May 3, 2020

Responses

First of all, congrats, and take a moment to reflect and be grateful you have made it through the process, especially having been mistreated so.

I might hypothesize that the faculty have some vested interested in preserving their “dire” pass/fail rate at any cost. After all, you students have a lot invested at this point, what are you gonna do, walk away now, so close to the finish line? You are on the hook, lest you leave with essentially nothing for all of that work.

I’d say there is some merit in relating this experience to others following the same path behind you. The key to solving any problem is recognizing a problem exists. How you go about that is subjective to the problem, but doing nothing ensures this dilemma continues. Ask yourself, how would your conscience fare if you did nothing? 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at May 3, 2020 4:02 PM MDT
      May 3, 2020 8:12 AM MDT

Thank you for your response, you have hit the nail on the head. I had no choice really but to jump through the hoops and unfairness because giving up would have meant 4 years of financial struggles and all the time and effort would be for nothing.. So they knew they had me, and my peers, over a barrel. 

I would think they will dismiss and deny if I complain; as you say they have a vested interest in keeping that pass rate low, even if it's just so that every time we resubmit, it costs £40.

All my peers are aware of the problem as they are facing the same thing too and all are equally powerless. I've told students in the year below.. 

I feel I should do more... I hate injustice. it's always been a *thing* with me..  As you say, doing nothing will mean it is unchanged.. but equally, I feel I have been through the wringer with this... and if I complain I will attract more hassle for myself.. Tough call..
      May 3, 2020 8:18 AM MDT

Congratulations on passing your exams.  I can understand the dilemma you're in.  First, to whom would you make the complaint?  If I'm reading this correctly, it isn't only your teacher involved in this.  As Don suggested, I would warn the others on the verge of taking this module about your experiences so they know the deck may be stacked against them.  How heavily will you have to depend on those teachers to accomplish your employment goals?  If you need them as references, you may want to just leave it at warning the others.  If you decide to be a "whistleblower," understand that if others are willing to join you in the complaint, there is less likelihood that it will be swept under the rug or that you will be retaliated against.  If you go it alone, you may become a pariah. I guess the "ethical" thing to do would be to report it, but not at the risk of throwing away all your hard work and being blacklisted.  Good luck with whatever path you choose.
      May 3, 2020 8:25 AM MDT

You make some very good points, some of which I hadn't considered... So I am very glad I asked! Tutor is involved peripherally in that she isn't responsible for the marking, it's external, the awarding/exam body.. they just deliver the course. It was clear however that even the tutor doesn't seem to know what it takes to pass this unit as the advice she has given others has resulted in them failing.  She never got back to me with advice at all. 

I wouldn't really need tutor as a reference as I have placement supervisors who would be able to do that. 

I have had others promise to complain.. but often people say that but don't actually do it.. even I observed that once I passed we get tempted to drop it..  I am only the second to pass from our group so far. 

I guess I worry a bit.. what if my complaining results in them finding a way to strip me of my qualification?
      May 3, 2020 8:54 AM MDT

I fully understand your dilemma and I believe the count on the fact that people are afraid to peak up for fear of screwing themselves in the process.  One thing to think about may be all of you signing on to the same complaint as a group rather than individually.  Perhaps that will prevent people from backing out if they have to do it individually.  In the end, I suspect you will just let it go and move on with your lives.  That doesn't make you cowards, it make you practical.  Unfortunately, when no one speak up, nothing changes.
      May 3, 2020 2:24 PM MDT

I say that you should file a formal complaint, especially if others already have done so previously, are in the process of doing so now, or will do so in the future. Abuses of power often continue because they go unchallenged, and/or worsen because they go unchallenged. Even if no one else has complained before, yours might be the eye-opener or the impetus for addressing the issue. 
    ~
      May 3, 2020 8:45 AM MDT

I think we are like-minded in this. No one else has complained so far, I am only the second to pass as yet. One peer did call the awarding body, who said, apparently that no one else has ever complained.. which is strange as that pass rate is pretty damning! So I guess, my social conscience leads me to think that if no one has complained and they are unaware, or think that it's ok, then I should probably at least try..
      May 3, 2020 8:58 AM MDT

I believe that many organizations lie when they say no one has complained; it’s in their best (self-)interests to sweep complaints under the carpet, because it can be a tool toward discouraging others to complain. Fewer complaints, less incentive to look introspectively at one’s programs. Zero complaints, well, you do the math. 

~
      May 3, 2020 10:16 AM MDT

Leave it alone and go do your life.  Success in the face of failure may be their strategy.  Congrats on your success.  Finishing a degree is a great great feeling.  The harder it was to get, the better you feel when you get it. 
      May 3, 2020 3:17 PM MDT

That's an interesting perspective. I hadn't thought of it that way.. I have a strong sense of injustice.. It's good to reexamine things and see other perspectives.
      May 4, 2020 1:55 AM MDT